My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Is it just my silly cat that lets out a funny squawk when she jumps up onto the chair?

14 replies

chipmunksex · 07/02/2012 21:10

I've always had cats, but I just can't remember if they all did it.

She's an unusual puss in many ways-has some funny habits, so this may just be another one.

Does your cat do anything like this?

OP posts:
scroogemcduck · 07/02/2012 21:15

only one of my three does it. He also meows encouragingly to himself if he has a big jump to make, sort of egging himself on to do it, I think. Most amusing Grin

peggotty · 07/02/2012 21:17

Do yours make that funny little chirrup noise when they come into a room?

mycatsaysach · 07/02/2012 21:18

yes one or two have - i hope its not a pain thing

mycatsaysach · 07/02/2012 21:18

chirrup is a hello - ginger tom only ever does it to the dog

Catsmamma · 07/02/2012 21:21

Faerie chirrups a lot! ...and like idiots we all call back "hellloooooooo" and then she will continue around the house until she has found everyone, except her brother Reuben who ignores her deliberately, you can see his ears twitching as she chirps and prupps, and then EEEE-oows for him, but he won't reply!

Reuben and Oscar do make a similar noise, but much much less often.

we did have some hysterical fun with a laser pointer the other evening, Reuben was chattering with temper because he could not catch it!

DontCallMeBaby · 08/02/2012 08:18

Pickle makes sound effects - jump & chirp. Always chirps if you go to stroke him when he's not wide awake. Sausage just says 'hello'. He's just changed it recently - I swear he's trying to perfect his human speech.

TeaandHobnobs · 08/02/2012 08:20

Lots of chirruping from our cat. A general hello, but quite often it is an "oi! you are not looking at me! I demand that you look at me!".

He sometimes also makes an inquisitive meow that sounds a lot more like a tiny cow mooing.

bruffin · 08/02/2012 08:24

Rosie is very polite and waits for you to pat the bed or settee before she.jumps up beside you, then she chirups as if to say thank you.
She also chirrups when you let her in

MateyMooo · 08/02/2012 10:55

my cat chhirrups when you peick her up. i wish i'd called her squeak!

chipmunksex · 08/02/2012 12:45

Not just mine then Grin She is very vocal, previous cat hardly let out a peep in 12 years.Hmm

OP posts:
BrianCoxHasScaryHair · 08/02/2012 12:50

Another Rosie here, she barely makes a sound and when she does it's the most pathetic sound, barely worth the energy!

Bert - chirrup/mew's/high-pitched ridiculous noises whatever he does. He has far too much to say for himself!!!

kreecherlivesupstairs · 08/02/2012 13:52

Both boys were chirruping last year at house flies. One of them was making a sort of yakyakyak sound when he was watching birds through the window and ginge just made a strange 'arrroooofff' noise as he covered himself in a towel he was trying to climb.
Ginge also says erp when he comes to wake me up.

mycatsaysach · 08/02/2012 18:04

if you really want a talking cat you need a siamese

mine yaks and yowls all the time
growls at anyone who knocks on the door
shouts 'muuuuuuuuuuuuum' through the closed door at bedtime - puts his face right in the crack/join of the doorframe Grin
when its time for bed (and a bedtime snack) he will stay silent if i ask him if its time for bed but will yowl at me if i ask him if he wants some grub

MessNessPess · 10/02/2012 00:44

Slinky chirps all the time to us and to Suzy and we and her reply and he squeaks like a stepped on toy when he jumps down from things.

He has a wide range of sounds, Suzy is much quieter but does now reply to him most of the time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.