My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Advice for cat - final visit to vet????

5 replies

cookcleanerchaufferetc · 01/01/2012 09:34

For a few years our cat aged 14 has been "out of sorts" - several trips to vet to establish he has onset of arthritis plus possible gut issues, though not sure at all. He eats a ton of food yet looks like someone has stuck a Hoover up his backside and sucked everything out! For the past 3 months He has started declining though is not in obvious pain. He used to go outside for hours but now goes out for just 5 minutes at a time, and this is repeated multiple times throughout the day. Sometimes when he jumps up on to the sofa he can't quite make it, yet other days he will jump onto a high wall. He has started being sick inside the House between 2 and 3 times a week and doing the odd pooh (no litter tray). There is evidence outside that he is being sick and poohing lots.

In the past the vet has wanted us to consent to surgery but we are against that as the cat is old and it would be too traumatic to do exploratory surgery. Besides, he has had so many tests, all of which has been inconclusive.

So the question is, is now the time to take the cat to the vet and put him down? I don't want him to go but don't want him suffering.

OP posts:
jerseypearl · 01/01/2012 14:45

Hi sorry to hear that your cat has not been well. A very similar thing happened to our cat. She was 13. I took her to the vet and they examined her and she had a large tumour in her stomach. They was nothing more they could do apart from give palliative care to prolong her life. Although one of the hardest things ever I took the decision to have her put to sleep. I did not want her to suffer and decided she had a very happy life with us. I am not saying your cat definitely has a tumour however similar symptoms. I think you have to ask yourself is your cat going to benefit from further investigation and what quality of life does he have. I kind of knew it was time for our cat although it was heartbreaking and we miss her very much. I wish you the very best of luck and am sure you will make the right decision for your cat.

mycatsaysach · 01/01/2012 14:51

tbh most of your post sounds like the symptoms of a cat that is ageing - my old cat who lived to 16/7 was very much like this.best get him checked out by vets but the decision may be down to you as to whether you let the vet operate or not.

EllenandBump · 01/01/2012 14:52

I am so sorry to hear how poorly your cat is. You will need to take him to the vet eventually or you could let nature take her course if he isnt seeming to be suffering. You see plenty of really skinny elderley people and they arent suffering and as to the lots of poos, you would too it you ate as much as he seems to be! I would make the most of the time you have left with him, and be grateful for all the love and smiles he has given you. BIG HUGS. X

cookcleanerchaufferetc · 02/01/2012 07:34

Thanks for the replies. I think we will just wait and see how things go with him ....

OP posts:
ptiger · 04/01/2012 22:44

I am in the same position, my cat is 14 and a half and has been diagnosed with a tumour in his gut.It is slow growing He has lost 3.4 kilos in a few weeks, if he hadn't been overweight to start with he probably wouldn't be here now. He isn't eating unlike yours, at the moment the vet gave me steroids which have reduced some inflammation and increased his appetite a little, other than not eating much he is still very bright. She said he will start to be sick and have diarrhoea and his organs will fail. I too am waiting and seeing but its not easy

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.