My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

What do mating cats sound like?

4 replies

FellatioNelson · 16/12/2011 05:51

Two nights ago DH and I were woken by an unholy racket that went on and on for several minutes. It sounded like a baby crying at first, but then we realised there were two of them, and it had an odd synchronised rhythm to it, like a baby and a slightly older child sort of half wailing half shouting, in tune together!

We have woken up this morning and can hear it again, but slightly further away this time so it's obviously not coming from a particular house, which rules out the insomniac musical children!

OP posts:
nursenic · 16/12/2011 06:25

Exactly that! An unholy racket....

Lizcat · 16/12/2011 14:01

The female cat will scream as the male cat withdraws due to the spurs on his penis induces ovulation - I kid you not.

FellatioNelson · 16/12/2011 15:33

Confused I think there is a design flaw there somewhere.What was God thinking?

OP posts:
FrankH · 16/12/2011 17:04

From your description, it could be mating foxes.

Penile spines occur not only on cats but on very many mammals, including chimps and other non-human primates. It's one of the fascinating features of human evolution that we have lost a large number of features in our genome - more than 500 deletions at least - which must have been present in the common human-chimp ancestor, and where chimps are closer to other mammals than they are to us. At least one of these deletions affects penile anatomy. One theory about this is that the spines etc. in other mammals speeds up climaxing, so that the couple need not spend too much time in copulation.

Another deletion in our genome resulted in the loss of a tumour-suppressing gene involved with the neural system, which may have facilitated the great increase in brain size which occurred in the human line.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.