My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Tom-cat marking the fridge & humping things!

9 replies

mummyplum · 06/05/2011 16:18

My male cat is becoming a nuisance! He keeps shaking his tail but not really spraying at my fridge when I open the door. He is also having alot of "fun" with various soft toys, my clothes and his bed, which he will not sleep in but keeps doing the business with. I know the only solution to the humping would be to get him done but I can't afford it. Not sure what to do about the tail shaking though, any suggestions?

OP posts:
TheVisitor · 06/05/2011 16:20

Ring the Cats Protection League, RSPCA and PDSA and ask if you can have a voucher to get him done. You really should get the money together to do this.

mummyplum · 06/05/2011 16:45

Visitor thank-you! I have just rang the cats protection league and a voucher for the FULL cost should be with me very soon.

OP posts:
Northernlurker · 06/05/2011 16:48

Do you have insurance for him? If you can't afford the costs of neutering I'm betting you'll be stuffed if he has a medical problem? Try and think about insurance and don't forget his annual boosters. If you leave them too long you have to start the course again which is more expensive. Ours were three months late and we had to start over.

mummyplum · 06/05/2011 17:11

I aquired our cat aged 4.....he has had no vaccinations other than his ones that i assume his old owners arranged for him as a kitten. He is insured, thank god!

OP posts:
Northernlurker · 06/05/2011 17:13

He should have boosters - but as it's 4 years ago then he needs a full set. Will be about £50 I think if you want to go for it.

mummyplum · 06/05/2011 17:21

Yeah, he should have them really - he is de-fleaed and wormed regularly of course.

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 07/05/2011 14:58

Ours is about £30 a year to vaccinate. I have a full set of boosters because he fights so he has contact with other cats which could lead to feline leukemia, even if he didn't fight he seems to have cat friends.

He's done well to get to 4 years as a full tom, cats protection league estimates a 18 month to 2 year life due to increased risk of toad traffic accident. I read it when I tried to get sil to neuter her tom, she said he wouldn't roam (how would anyone know this?) then he got killed by a car.

girlywhirly · 07/05/2011 16:10

My neutered tom used to do the tail thing, but no spraying ever occurred. We used to call it the vibrating tail! It was actually due to excitement or anticipation of something really liked, such as cat treats or a favourite titbit such as a bit of chicken. My female cat also does it, and she is spayed.

sprinkles77 · 12/05/2011 16:37

mummyplum, check your insurance, you might not be covered if vaccinations not up to date. My vet used to charge only £20 for a male neuter if your voucher doesn't come. It was Medivet (I know, bad press but I have found them wonderful, caring and honest).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.