My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Poorly cat! Help anyone?

9 replies

TheBolter · 09/01/2011 20:26

My darling cat seems really poorly today. He has sunken eyes which are watering lots, is off his food, and seems listless. My other cat is really concerned for him - is cuddled up to him, licking him lots...

An ideas what could be the matter?

Thanks in advance x

OP posts:
CarGirl · 09/01/2011 20:29

I reckon it could be cold/flu/chest problem Sad that's from a quick google. Go to vets asap in the morning.

girliefriend · 09/01/2011 20:30

How old is he? If he hasn't improved take to the vets tomos.

Geepers · 09/01/2011 20:32

My cat had this, her eyes were watery and she was sneezing a lot too. A quick trip to the vet and an antibiotic injectionand next day she was back to normal. £55 is an expensive cold though, but she's worth it.

TheBolter · 09/01/2011 20:36

OH dear, I'll have to take him after work tomorrow. £55 Shock god I hope not... girliefriend he's just 7 months old. He has been vacc'ed for cat flu thank goodness.

OP posts:
LunaticFringe · 09/01/2011 20:41

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBolter · 09/01/2011 21:14

OK, thanks to everyone for their input.

Lunatic, no he's happy to be picked up and licked,bless him!

OP posts:
1Catherine1 · 09/01/2011 23:01

Erm.. don't really want to scare you but apparently even if a cat has been vaccinated against cat flu they can still get it. I was infuriated when my (last) vet said the words "cat flu" to me when talking about my youngest and demanded to know how a cat vaccinated against cat flu could get it. I got told that maybe she was unwell when she got the jab or maybe the vaccine didn't take. She was better after a week on tablets though and has never shown signs of illness since but I have been told that if it was cat flu then she is now a carrier of it - I was unwilling to pay for the tests to check if it was or not.

I assume he is still eating? Generally I will put off a visit to the vets till the morning if my cats are eating - when they stop eating I phone the emergency vet (don't be afraid to do this if your vet has one set up, they will often give you advice over the phone for free and won't just tell you that you must bring them in.) If he has gone off his food then try offering him something bland like boiled chicken.

CoffeeGoneColdAgain · 11/01/2011 18:13

How is the cat now? I too don't want to scare you, my sisters two cats decided to 'go on holiday' at different times, both were missing for 3 weeks, The first one came back and was ok for a while then was extremely tired etc, the 2nd one then came home (been in different hiding places) and within 2 weeks they have both had to be PTS as they had been poisoned from anti freeze. According to the vet, cats love anti freeze as it is very sweet tasting, just one lick can kill them. :( so sad for my sister!

girliefriend · 11/01/2011 19:33

He is the same age as my cat! Is he better now?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.