My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

The doghouse

Best thermal waterproof gloves

16 replies

Thermalpants · 15/02/2021 09:24

Can anyone recommend good thermal, waterproof gloves? I suffer from raynauds, and the last few days I have been in a lot of pain on walks. My hands feel like they’re being hammered. I have tried heat holder gloves, but they let in the wet. I also tried my son’s football gloves. They are supposed to be thermal and water resistant, but my hands still hurt when wearing them.

OP posts:
CityDweller · 15/02/2021 11:29

How about cycling gloves? The pair I have are properly waterproof (although I haven't used them for dog-walking yet, only cycling! But that's my plan for when ddog arrives)

CityDweller · 15/02/2021 11:29

Oh, and I have v. think silk 'liner' gloves that go inside them for particularly cold days

CMOTDibbler · 15/02/2021 11:39

For waterproof, I can't fault my Sealskinz gloves, but these Alpkit gloves are the warmest gloves I have ever had. I've been toasty even in the really cold wind

Dandelionflower · 15/02/2021 12:49

I wear cycling gloves, I bought them from Aldi in their winter cycling event.

Missingjigsawpuzzle · 15/02/2021 19:25

I have thermal fleecy gloves in my hand size with leather gloves over the top in a size bigger. Warm and waterproof...voila Grin

Thermalpants · 15/02/2021 21:19

Thank you all for your replies. Will have a look online for a decent pair of cycling gloves.

@Missingjigsawpuzzle, I tried putting a pair of medical gloves over my Heat Holders to keep the wet out. It kind of worked. Kept the wet out, but my hands still hurt a bit. Leather gloves would have worked better than latex gloves! 😄

OP posts:
Polkadotties · 15/02/2021 21:21

Sealskinz. Expensive but worth it

Missingjigsawpuzzle · 15/02/2021 23:42

We tried that for snowball making with the kids and like you found, it kept the wet out but not the cold!!!

Girlintheframe · 16/02/2021 06:52

Sealskinz are brilliant for keeping you dry but I don't find them particularly warm though that could just be the ones I have.
They are pricey but you can often get them on sale.

ProperVexed · 16/02/2021 07:08

Mittens! I find that having all my fingers together keeps them warmer than gloves. Have a look at fishing or shooting suppliers....expensive but good.

alpinia · 16/02/2021 07:16

I have Bufflo systems mittens. They are the same fabric as the jackets favoured by the military/mountain rescue. I would recommend them. I've been through all the sealskinz etc.

I wear them dog walking, cycling and for watersports. They are NOT waterproof however if you read about their structure they are designed to stay warm even when wet and I find they only really get wet in the watersports. They are very wind proof and have some level of water resistance. I've had them 8 years and they are still in great condition.

The only negative is it's a bit hard to extract dog treats or take snowy dog photos while wearing them!

MaryIsA · 16/02/2021 07:27

Layering is good. Silk lining, cashmere gloves and then sealskins in a bigger size. Mountain warehouse has some great waterproof gloves in at the moment.

loveyouradvice · 16/02/2021 10:04

mmmmm great thread ... I'll be coming back! Thankyou

ShouldHaveCouldHaveWouldHave · 16/02/2021 12:30

I get really painful fingers too. I wear ski gloves which are much better than my fleece lined leather but I still can’t stay outside for very long!

vedegitsonp1971 · 09/07/2023 21:31

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

vedegitsonp1971 · 09/07/2023 21:32

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.