Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Puppy coming inside to pee

Mammaaof · 20/08/2020 10:05

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give advice. My puppy is 9 weeks old ( obviously I'm not expecting him to be toilet trained, nor am I complaining, just worried I'm doing something wrong)

The first few days he was absolutely brilliant, no accidents inside. But since yesterday I don't know what's happened. He's coming inside to wee and poo!
Everytime he wees or poos outside I give him so much praise and give him a treat. He's had 8 accident since yesterday morning inside.
Couple of examples last night 11pm I took him out he did a wee, then comes back inside and poos inside. This morning I took him out he did a wee. Then I was playing outside with him for 45mins then he wanted to go inside when we came in he went into the bathroom and had done a wee. I totally ignored it, cleaned it up as I read that telling him off won't work and only to take him outside if I actually catch him doing it even if it's mid way through.

During the night, he sleeps all night in his bed by the side of our bed, I put 2 puppy pads down for him, in the morning there is always one wee on them which is brilliant (no accidents anywhere) but in the day time he totally ignores the puppy pads I have and it's like he's totally forgotten what to do in the day!

I am absolutely not complaining I obviously expect accidents I'm just wondering and worried that I'm doing something wrong.

Background; he is on steroids (not sure if this is relevant)

Any advice, help or encouragement is welcome! X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kaykay066 · 20/08/2020 12:34

Get rid of the pads what are they for?
You’re effectively teaching your pup it’s ok to pee/poo inside with them as how does he know the difference between the floor inside and inside on a pad? We’ve never used them. So when he comes in and messes take him right back out again every single time as you say even mid wee or poo. We used a key word busy busy or get clean depends what you prefer so they do it in a certain area of your garden and can go on command (was a guide dog) if there is pee overnight one more pee trip before bed or up earlier in morning but at 9 weeks he’ll get there I’m sure.

We get our pup end of October so all starts there so should be fun, but there will be no puppy pads as I just feel you’re reaching them twice and it’s confusing for them. You sound like you’re getting there and I’m sure we’ll all face frustrations with toilet training hope mine ‘gets it’ ok good luck

Please
or

pigsDOfly · 20/08/2020 13:13

Agree with Kaykay, get rid of the puppy pads. Puppy doesn't know if he should be weeing indoor or out in the garden.

You need to watch him all the time and grab him as soon as there's any sign that he's about to wee or poo.

Unfortunately, with such a young puppy you have to set an alarm in the night and take him outside to wee however many times that's necessary.

Please
or

Mammaaof · 20/08/2020 13:24

@Kaykay066 thank you for your advice, I only have the puppy pads for the short 45mins I'm out midday to take my daughter to nursery, and at night I take him at midnight, and then he doesn't wee all night but my daughter comes in to wake me at 5.30am and unfortunately the puppy hears her as soon as she opens the door and he runs onto the puppy pad as soon as his eyes open so if it wasn't for this he wouldn't go all night. So should I just take up the puppy pads even tho ive already started using them now?

@pigsDOfly we were taking him out every hour but he never went as I mentioned above he only goes once and that's at 5.30ish when my daughter opens my bedroom door to wake me x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Martamaybe · 20/08/2020 13:55

I agree with the previous posters on getting rid of the pads and as pigsDOFly says look for signs of needing to go to the toilet and take out immediately then . I think that that is actually the most important thing as you want the puppy to associate the feeling of wanting to go to with going outside . He’s not coming inside to wee or poo he just doesn’t associate outside with going to the toilet . Catching the right moment works quicker than it being a coincidence that he’s outside and needs to go in my experience. You’ll get there !

Please
or

pigsDOfly · 20/08/2020 14:37

The signs for needing to go out: watch for him 'tracking' as putting his nose down as if he's looking for a good place, also if he start circling that usually means he'll be looking for a suitable spot.

Just keep on with the praise/treats when he goes outside and you'll get there.

Please
or

RiaRoth · 20/08/2020 16:53

Steriods will increase his thirst and the need to wee so this will also make it a bit harder at the moment.

I would remove the puppy pads. I would also make sure I wake up before your DD so get up at 5.15 to take him for his wee before she disturbs him.

Use a "proper" cleaner eg simple solution as that will discourage weeing in the same spot. Stay out until he wees if he wants to go in get him back outside again and wait for the wee.

What breed of dog is he?

Please
or

vanillandhoney · 20/08/2020 17:04

You need to get rid of the puppy pads. All they do is encourage them to toilet in the house and make house-training even harder.

If your daughter comes in at 5.30am and wakes him, I would set your alarm for 10-15 minutes earlier and get him outside to go to the toilet so he doesn't get the chance to go on the floor at all, otherwise you run the risk of it becoming a habit :)

Is he crate-trained at all? If so, you could try crating him when you go out as they don't like to mess where they sleep, so it could help encourage him to hold it in. Good luck!

Please
or

Mammaaof · 20/08/2020 19:48

Thank you for all your tips will definitely get rid of the puppy pads!! @vanillandhoney @RiaRoth the problem is sometimes she gets up at half 4, could be as late as half 7 so don't want to get up at 4 take the pup out if she isn't going to wake until half 7 otherwise he will need to go again even if he had been 10mins prior he always needs to go when he wakes 🙈 his bread is a cavapoochon and no he's not crate trained. To be honest when we go out he's as good as gold and doesn't wee it's when we are home is the issue 🙈 only one accident inside today tho so that's good!! X

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.