Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

First season

SmiledWithTheRisingSun · 16/06/2020 07:28

How long will it last?
Should I give her a bath?
Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

fessmess · 16/06/2020 08:17

All in, including a light settling back down at the end, my dog's was a month. She had about 5-7 days of bleeding before a bloody crazy 24 hours when her hormones spiked. In that time she pissed everywhere literally like a sprinkler and vomited. She looked possessed. Then the symptoms gradually trailed off. She is highly strung anyway and I found her to be more so when in season. A lot more barking for example. We put those special pants and pads on her and took her out on-lead very early and late at night. We had her spayed three months after, which was planned, but I was glad that would be the only time. Good luck.

Please
or

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 16/06/2020 08:17

Seasons usually last 18-21 days. The bitch isn't fertile for all of it, but I work on the possibility that she might be at any stage and keep her right under my eye: she is only off-lead when I can see no dogs in any direction and even then she's often on a longline and I'm constantly checking her recall.

I keep my bitch on a hard floor; she keeps herself quite clean and doesn't need a bath. Some days are bloodier than others: slow start, then blood, then the discharge goes pale, then it's a bit yucky again and then gradually stops and the baboon-arse deflates.

After her season, keep an eye out for a while for any signs that she is unwell as pyometra can be quickly fatal.

Some bitches can be clingy or distracted when in season, others are fine.

Please
or

SmiledWithTheRisingSun · 16/06/2020 16:35

What happens with the nappies when they poo? Doesn't it go all over them?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Theoscargoesto · 16/06/2020 21:26

@GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman. First time owner here. Before first season I was really worried about how to tell she was coming into/in season........
and then the baboon arse took me completely by surprise. For a couple of minutes I was honestly considering calling the vet about the sudden and untoward swelling! Baboon arse is the perfect expression!!

Please
or

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 16/06/2020 22:03

Baboon arse is the perfect expression!!
Happy to have brightened your day Grin

Please
or

Theoscargoesto · 16/06/2020 22:18

@grumpyoldwoman I live a quiet life Grin

Please
or

GerardWay123 · 16/06/2020 22:26

We only put the nappy on ours at bedtime. As soon as she needs to go outside we take it off.

Please
or

Pipandmum · 16/06/2020 22:33

I can only speak about my one female dog - I assume there's a range. She has a season once a year. Her bleeding is light - I never needed to put anything on her. She spots a bit on my sheets (she sleeps on my bed) so I just put a towel there for her. I only see one or two drops elsewhere. She spots for a week or ten days, wees a lot when we go out. After that she does show some interest in other dogs for about a week but is very picky and I've never had an issue when out. She's 8 now and this last time she was very 'hot to trot' with my neutered male dog - usually she gives him short shrift. She gets a bit restless too. Then after a couple weeks back to normal!

Please
or

SmiledWithTheRisingSun · 22/06/2020 21:02

Do you need to keep them inside?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SmiledWithTheRisingSun · 22/06/2020 21:03

Do you need to keep them inside? There seems to be mixed opinions....

OP's posts:
Please
or

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 22/06/2020 22:16

I think whether you take them out depends on where you live. I live fairly rurally, and I have always exercised in-season bitches (mine would drive me nuts if I didn't).

Whether you let them off or not depends also on where you live (how busy it is - I go to the quieter places/ use the quieter times) but also on how experienced you are with bitches. I keep a really close eye on them, and once the bitch would stand (rather than decking any dog who tried) I use a longline. I also take it as a time to rehearse recall, endlessly.

If it's busy near you, take her out early or late to avoid the dog-walking rush.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.