Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Anxiety?

banana506 · 15/10/2018 19:57

We renovated a house about a year and a half ago. Ddog was obviously there at the time and found the whole process very stressful. Especially all the tools being used etc.

She is a very sensitive dog anyway but this has made her really nervous. We have since moved into a new build house and although she's fine and settled in herself if she hears a bang or a loud noise she starts shaking uncontrollably and panting really heavily. She runs to me and hides bedding my legs or jumps on our lap. She's a Rhodesian ridgeback so not exactly small!! Anyway at first it was just when there was extreme noises but now it's literally anytime someone shuts a door or drops something on the hard floor. She even does it when there's a loud tv programme on! I think she needs something to calm her down but have had mixed advice from the vet!?
Does anyone have anything they can recommend to try and relax her a bit?x

OP's posts:
Please
or

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork · 17/10/2018 12:28

That's a bit difficult because it does not seem a good idea to have her on medication permanently and there is always going to be a risk of a loud noise or bang any old day. I had some sort of tranquilliser tablet from the vet's for my previous dog's extreme fear during firework season and it worked fine but I would not have wanted her on it permanently (nor would the vet). At other times of year, she did have a great fear of loud explosions, thunder, unexpected bangs and I could not watch any television programme that included gunfire (she was a Greek dog from a mountain village where locals out hunting would amuse themselves by taking potshots at village cats and dogs). I just used to give her lots of cuddles and reassurance - during thunderstorms this went on for some time and she usually ended up climbing into the wardrobe and shaking like a leaf, poor thing. This did improve a bit in her senior years (possibly she'd gone a bit deaf!). I wonder if a dog trainer would know of a method to "acclimatise" your dog to loud noises?

Please
or

AvocadosBeforeMortgages · 17/10/2018 13:04

This programme is meant to be good for teaching your dog that noises are ok www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/dog-behaviour-health/sound-therapy-for-pets

In terms of something to help calm her down, we've had some success with an Adaptil plug in, which is a calming pheromone. It's no panacea, but it has helped a bit and is worth a go IMO.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.