Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Dog towel/bag recommendations please!

toptomatoes · 20/08/2018 22:00

So, this will be our second winter with a mud magnet Springer Spaniel. Any recommendations for a towel/bag solution to help contain the mud in the car would be greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

missbattenburg · 21/08/2018 08:50

Battendog is a springer so I know only too well the mud problem Grin.

He goes in the boot of the car where there is a rubber liner (with a lip) topped with some vet bed. Vet bed is very easily to clean and tends to absorb much of the muck. If he is very dirty I lay a few microfibre towels down as well. MF towles are so light and easy to clean and very absorbant.

It's not a magical solution, but it does help.

Please
or

BiteyShark · 21/08/2018 09:07

I have a micro fibre towel in the car which is used on him before he travels home. He then travels on the back seat but I have a waterproof cover which is like a hammock that goes over the back and front head rests. I find the mud then dries and I just brush it out of the car in between journeys.

Please
or

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten · 21/08/2018 09:13

these are great made by a lady who owns Spaniels so designed with them in mind

I use equafleeces pop them on after a walk and dry the dog while the dog rests. Hotter dog are similar and a bit cheaper

I don't like the bags that prevent the dog from walking but that is just my opinion

Please
or

SmartyPants0 · 21/08/2018 09:18

We have the same back seat hammock as you biteyshark... it's fab isn't it, do you use a harness and secure him using the seat belt clip as well.
Our dog has a cagoule to wear for when it's really muddy/wet

Please
or

BiteyShark · 21/08/2018 09:21

SmartyPants0 yes we use a harness and seatbelt clip. I used to have him in the boot with a boot guard but was always scared of being rear ended in a collision so feel much happier with him on the back seat and he just sleeps as soon as we set off Smile

Please
or

SmartyPants0 · 21/08/2018 09:26

I know what you mean... our dog had loads of room in the boot and looked really comfy in there but we saw a bad car crash and the boot was all crushed in... we do a lot of motorway driving so changed to using the back seat. We use the seat belt clip as well 🐕

Please
or

toptomatoes · 21/08/2018 12:53

Thanks all! She likes to sit in the back footwell rather than on the seat so I think a blanket on the floor and an equafleece type thing might be our best solution.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LimeJellyHead · 27/08/2018 15:14

My terrier wears one of these www.dfordog.co.uk/drying-dog-coat-underbelly.html Hand made by a seamstress in Scotland. Mostly he wears it in the car and by the time we get home he is dry. Also good after a bath.

Please
or

reup · 27/08/2018 15:23

My cocker spaniel didn’t get on with a bag so we got one of these instead - more for after baths than mud.

www.dogrobes.co.uk/blogs/gallery

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.