Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Dog flaps, are they a good idea?

Dashie · 16/11/2017 20:44

I would be grateful for some advice please.

We will soon be getting a working cocker spaniel puppy. Once she is settled in she will sometimes be left at home from 09:00-18:00. This will be for around 2 days every month.
We are looking at using a dog walker or sitter on these days as did this with our previous dog.

We have recently moved house and our back garden is small and enclosed. We are thinking that an alternative to a dog walker would be to put in a dog flap so that she can go in and out when she wants to. Also, if we were out for even a short time she could take herself out as needed.

My two main concerns are firstly, the back area is mainly gravel and brick with not much greenery. Could we use something like a large cat litter tray and train her to use it? Our front garden is larger and has grass but too visible from the road.
Secondly, the neighbours back garden, which runs along side, is easily accessible via a low unlocked gate. Is there too much of a risk that someone might try to take her?

Thanks for any advice. Sorry if these are daft questions but we're in a different situation to how we were with our old dog and he was bigger so a large dog flap wasn't an option because of security.

OP's posts:
Please
or

missbattenburg · 16/11/2017 20:49

I'm not sure I'd ever feel safe with a flap in the door and a dog wandering outside just in case of trouble. More than that, though, the point of not leaving a dog so long is only minimally about toileting. It's much more about boredom, loneliness and the stress that can cause.

The flap solves the toilet issue but not the others. A dog walker/sitter solves all problems and so - for me - is the far superior option.

Please
or

FeedMyFaceWithPeanutButterCups · 16/11/2017 20:57

We love our dog flap, but we do have a dog sitter who comes and takes our little dog 8-5 the days we work :)

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 16/11/2017 21:09

I think they are a very bad idea - there's the risk of the dog being stolen (a very real risk these days), and of your dog finding things to eat/do that are dangerous.

Please
or

InfiniteSheldon · 16/11/2017 21:16

My ddogs have always used a large catflap/dogflap can't imagine life without it.

Please
or

InfiniteSheldon · 16/11/2017 21:16

My ddogs have always used a large catflap/dogflap can't imagine life without it.

Please
or

PurplePillowCase · 16/11/2017 21:16

I hate our neighbours dog flap.
dog is bored and barky and runs in and out all day and night.
the flap makes a loud noise (click click electronic bolt)

because it's a big dog the flap is big, I would worry that a person could be able to get in through it.

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 16/11/2017 21:17

I wouldn't.
Risk of theft.
Dog could eat things it shouldn't.
Dog could bark all day and really annoy the neighbours!
How about doggy daycare for just those two days?

Please
or

Dashie · 16/11/2017 21:21

Thank you, very good advice.

I'm thinking that a cocker spaniel sized one would be too small for a person.
I think, as it's a small area and surrounded by walls that are too high for her to jump, that we could make it safe.

I am worried about someone finding out that she was there and trying to take her.

The point about companionship and not getting bored is most important as obviously her welfare is what matters most.

How long would you be happy to leave your dogs for from that point of view?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dashie · 16/11/2017 21:23

Yes, I think on reflection that doggy day care is a much better option.
Would it be worth getting one for when we are out for a couple of hours?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Misstomrs · 16/11/2017 21:25

We have a show cocker spaniel. He had always had a dog flap. He is on his own for 4-5 hours at most and has always really enjoyed it. My neighbours say they see him rolling on the grass and generally having a lovely time. I would definitely recommend it.

Please
or

parklives · 16/11/2017 21:26

I was thinking of getting one for my dog, then I thought about them digging in the garden and running straight in to snooze on the sofa....Sad

Please
or

Foxglovesandsweetpeas · 16/11/2017 21:29

We have one and our two dogs happily go in and out all day whilst we're at work. In the summer I usually come home to find them sunning themselves on the deck.

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 16/11/2017 21:29

Dashie an adult would be ok in the house for a couple of hours.
The other option is finding a friend who is happy to have your pup on the rare occasion you're not there all day.

Please
or

Dashie · 16/11/2017 22:08

I'm loving the images of dogs rolling on the lawn and sunbathing on the decking!

I think the best option is doggy day care for longer periods but maybe a dog flap for when we are at home or if we are away for a short time only.

Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

willisurvive3under2 · 16/11/2017 22:10

We have a cocker spaniel sized flap and are happy with it. Admittedly we live in a very safe area and our dog just likes to go in and out and have a nose. He’s almost never left but when he is, it means he’s got a choice. If it’s very wet and muddy outside we make sure he’s been to the toilet and lock the flap before we leave him (3 hours max) so he doesn’t trail mud all over the house).

As an extra benefit, the postman puts parcels through it. But on the flip side, baby DS occasionally crawls out of it!

Please
or

AllGoodDogs · 16/11/2017 22:33

Our Yorkshire Terrier learnt to use the cat flap (eventually - at first he thought it only worked one way and woild often wake us up barking in the garden in the middle of the night). Although it wasn't intentional and we didn't encourage it, it is a blessing now as we inherited him as an adult and he wasn't ever trained to pee on command like our Labrador so he can go out whenever he needs to. We have an enclosed garden with no rear access.

Please
or

starzig · 16/11/2017 22:47

The problem is if he goes out and starts barking it would be your neighbours that suffer as you would be out.

Please
or

Dashie · 16/11/2017 22:52

Good point. Fortunately our only close neighbours work during the day too.
If she was barking a lot I would be worried that she was stressed/bored/bothered about something though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wolfiefan · 16/11/2017 23:35

Seriously dog theft is big business. I wouldn't. And if you have no close neighbours about she could spend all day barking and you wouldn't know. Sad

Please
or

FeedMyFaceWithPeanutButterCups · 17/11/2017 06:16

Our dog never barks in the day not left more than 5 hours but loves her access to the garden, we have a stair gate up so she can't go any further than the kitchen when we're not there.
She loves it and so do we. We have a very enclosed garden so no risk of anything happening to her

Please
or

strugglingtodomybest · 17/11/2017 06:27

How did I not know you could buy dog flaps?!

I'm guessing they can't be fitted to French windows though so now we're going to have to move house Wink

Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 17/11/2017 06:59

I considered a dog flap because my main worry is a fire while we're out that DDog couldn't escape. But there was a FB post of a lovely little white dog that had been stolen.

Attempted burglars had been captured on their CCTV trying to break in but failed. Little dog came to investigate and was snatched. Broke my heart. I wish I knew if he'd been reunited. Sad

So no dog flaps here. And no electricals on while he's home alone!

Please
or

Chippyway · 17/11/2017 07:20

I highly recommend using daycare for your dog instead of leaving it that long.

About dog flaps, I personally wouldn’t get one. Before DP and I got back together I was seeing somebody who had a dog flap. There were a couple of occasions he accidentally locked us out which meant me going through the dog flap

I could’ve been anybody. So easy for burglars

Please
or

Dashie · 17/11/2017 19:37

Thank you all. Seems like mixed opinions.
I'm going to look into recommendations for local doggy day care. Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.