Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Our Father - Netflix

Assistanttotheregionalmanager · 11/05/2022 13:07

Wow this story is just so so sad - how can it not have been a crime!?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Assistanttotheregionalmanager · 11/05/2022 20:56

Nobody?

OP's posts:
Please
or

OvaryActions · 11/05/2022 21:37

I just watched this and I can't believe the horrible bastard got away with it.

I know he wasn't on trial for the actual act itself but it was so annoying that it was said in court that this was his first offence...he'd fathered 90+ children!!
It makes me so angry that there are always people willing to act as character witnesses for men like this too. What relevance is it that so/in-so from the church thinks he's an upstanding citizen?? He's obviously not, that was a façade. Yet victims aren't allowed to speak freely when reading a victim impact statement.

Sorry for the rant, I just found it all so unfair. Hopefully such a public outing will act as some form of punishment for him though.

Please
or

SchadenfreudePersonified · 12/05/2022 21:56

I felt the same way as you did about him.

When that poor woman said she felt that she had been raped 15 times I had just that moment said to DH - "That's effectively rape!" And his daughter was so distressed! She and her mother had been under the impression that she was her father's natural daughter - most of the others appeared to be aware they had had a donor - just not the dirty doctor. To be under the impression that she was impregnated with your husband's sperm and them find otherwise must have been dreadful beyond words. And for that woman who was worried every time a new male sibling appeared that it may have been someone she'd dated, and she might have unwittingly committed incest - what a foul, arrogant. narcissistic piece of sh!t that Dr is.

I could understand that the law didn't fully cover the crime - who could ever have contemplated this when the legislation was drafted - but I'm surprised that he couldn't also have been charged with fraud and deception. He will have been paid for these inseminations, allegedly from medical students/patient's spouses, and he didn't deliver what they thought they were getting.

He was so full of justifications and excuses about "doing good" and "blessing people with a healthy baby" (a lie - many of them had the same, rare, genetic condition). He thought only of himself and his reputation, and threatened the victims who were speaking out - and the woman who spoke up in court, and included all of the bits her lawyer told her she had to leave out - GOOD FOR HER!

Over 90 siblings in the same small town (plus the drs 4 legitimate ones). I can't believe that there hasn't;t been an incestuous "accident" somewhere alongtheu line, or that there won't be in the near future.

Horrible man. But he effectively got off with it.

Please
or

lonelygirl15 · 12/05/2022 23:43

So much to unpack! Cant believe he effectively got away with it, also shocked at the fact at the end about dozens of other drs using their own sperm!

jacoba was awesome

Please
or

jay55 · 14/05/2022 08:21

I didn't understand why be couldn't be charged with some sort of fraud, especially when it was supposed to be the husbands sperm and not a donor.

I didn't think I could be more creeped out, then the woman revealing he had been her gyno, knowing her was her bio father.

Terrible for all the siblings and all the violated mothers. Just terrible.

Please
or

Emotionalsupportviper · 14/05/2022 16:36

Oh yes, Jay!

I'd forgotten that bit (or my mind had blanked it out it was so disgusting).

It also begs the question - if one of his "secret" daughters come to him with a fertility problem, would he have used his own sperm to impregnate her? It doesn't bear thinking about, but his ethics are hardly the most impressive, are they?

Please
or

Assistanttotheregionalmanager · 14/05/2022 16:45

Emotionalsupportviper

Oh yes, Jay!

It also begs the question - if one of his "secret" daughters come to him with a fertility problem, would he have used his own sperm to impregnate her? It doesn't bear thinking about, but his ethics are hardly the most impressive, are they?

Exactly! I’m sure there are still so many scenarios they will still find out as time goes on

OP's posts:
Please
or

HailAdrian · 14/05/2022 16:46

I watched this last night, I'm wondering, what did he actually get out of this? His daughter is made of much stronger stuff than me because I think i would have relented out of pity, which is probably the reason he basically got away with it.

Please
or

Soubriquet · 14/05/2022 16:49

I was so shocked he had gotten away with it

He would never have been a certified sperm donor due to his health conditions which unfortunately has been passed along to most of those children

Please
or

Candleabra · 14/05/2022 16:54

I was so shocked watching this. I expected him to be serving a hefty prison sentence at the end. Just awful for the families. I can’t believe there isn’t a crime they can charge him with.

Please
or

Candleabra · 14/05/2022 16:55

Emotionalsupportviper

Oh yes, Jay!

Yes that’s where I thought that situation was going to be honest. I actually put my hand over my mouth in horror thinking that he had impregnated his own daughter with his sperm.

Please
or

Emotionalsupportviper · 14/05/2022 18:19

Also would be amazed if (in the comparatively small place they live) there hasn't been at least one incidence of accidental incest.

Over 90 children - and those are the ones they know about. And it is a psychological fact that we tend to be attracted to people who we think look similar to ourselves.

And his church/ church members have no right to forgive him. It isn't them he's damaged - it's all of those men and women out there who have found out that they are not who they thought they were - and even more, all of those women who thought they were receiving sperm from their husband, or from a medical student who looked like their husband, and got a donation from this horrible man instead.

Please
or

JenniferAlisonPhilipaSue · 14/05/2022 19:03

I'm curious to know about the other doctors now. Where are their stories and how were they found out.

Please
or

OvaryActions · 14/05/2022 21:45

Emotionalsupportviper

Oh yes, Jay!

Oh god, my stomach flipped when I was watching that part as I thought that was exactly what she was going to say!

Please
or

OvaryActions · 14/05/2022 21:46

I'm also curious to know about the other ones, have they all gotten away with it?!

Please
or

lonelygirl15 · 14/05/2022 22:01

I was shocked about the other drs as well, you would assume this would be a rare one-off insane thing to happen.

Probably not a popular opinion on here but it really reaffirmed my preference for female doctors. Of course NAMALT etc etc but his actions were definitely driven in part by male entitlement, medical misogyny and a God complex, not helped by the expectation doctors deserve full trust and respect no questions asked. The fact he was knowingly his own DAUGHTERS obgyn is just vile.

Please
or

Emotionalsupportviper · 15/05/2022 07:58

I'm the same @lonelygirl15 - I've had male ob/gyns before and thought nothing of it. I don't think I'd be so blasé now, especially if I was a young woman.

I'm surprised that the whole town didn't ostracise him and the wife who stood by him (she probably doesn't regard this as infidelity or rape - I would regard it as both). Every woman he has ever treated must feel soiled.

I wonder if the people affected by this - the children (now adults) and the women - could take a class action to sue for emotional damages? I don't think this is what the basis of their suit was before. But for him to be fined a derisory $500 dollars was an insult to every one of them. He should have been bankrupted by the fine, not just barely slapped on the wrist.

Please
or

PoseyFlump · 20/05/2022 18:23

It's hard to find the right word when a documentary is 'good' but the content shocking. Certainly worth watching.

And to add insult to injury he swapped his own sperm for the husbands sperm. And now that husband never had his own biological child. Heartbreaking. What a narcissistic bastard.

Please
or

roofio · 20/05/2022 21:32

How on this earth was he not at least charged in relation the cases where the women thought they were being inseminated with their husbands sperm?!

Please
or

PoseyFlump · Yesterday 16:07

Exactly @roofio it's all shocking but that's on another level. I wonder what would happen here in the UK.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.