Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gentleman Jack

saveforthat · 10/04/2022 22:50

Did anyone watch the first of series 2 tonight? What did you think?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyBeloved · 10/04/2022 23:00

Yes, I loved the last series. Waiting to see how this one unfolds.

Please
or

StrawberryPot · 10/04/2022 23:58

The Guardian has given it 5 stars and describes it as one of the greatest dramas of our time ...!

I thought the first series was ok but I find Suranne Jones quite irritating. Might give the new series a go.

Please
or

rivierliedje · 11/04/2022 07:54

I really liked the first episode so far. Anne Lister is not the most likeable person in the world, but love the show.

Please
or

saveforthat · 11/04/2022 08:25

Yes I really enjoyed the first series and this is looking good so far. I have developed a weird crush on Suranne Jones in this (never have on any character she has played before).

OP's posts:
Please
or

watcherintherye · 11/04/2022 08:33

Enjoying the new series so far. A bit like Jane Austen on speed. There’s a lot of striding involved! Leaving everyone in your wake looks exhausting.

Please
or

StrawberryPot · 11/04/2022 09:32

I wish they would tone down the rushing about and frenzied music. It's OTT and very wearing.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 11/04/2022 10:35

Just started a thread on this as couldn't find this one. I'm
Not sure. I found the last series repetitive, and this one is going the same way. And she's a controlling nightmare! Found the speed of movement uncomfortable to watch!

Please
or

Pasithea · 11/04/2022 10:38

If they finished her diaries last time then why push on with fake stories. That really puts me off. Like call the midwife. Absolute shit.

Please
or

LadyTwinkle · 11/04/2022 11:44

I know they are portraying Ann Walker as weak and indecisive, but I'm glad she isn't just being railroaded by Anne Lister into immediately changing her will and letting her house out. It shows that despite everything she does have some inner strength.

Please
or

woodhill · 11/04/2022 12:19

Felt really sorry for the relatives of blonde Anne, where would aunt go. Lister isn't chucking out her own relatives in the same way

It is a bit too rushy

Please
or

moonbedazzled · 11/04/2022 12:25

I watched most of the episode last night but didn't watch the first series. (I find Suranne Jones's mannerisms a but irritating so I usually avoid her.) So I'm a bit uncertain of her motivations. Is she just after her money, with sex an added throw in? She kept doing little asides to the camera to make me think that but in other parts she seemed genuinely interested in her. Or are we meant not to know?

Please
or

moonbedazzled · 11/04/2022 12:30

The most interesting bits for me were the interactions between her and the servants to be honest. I'm not thinking that can hold my interest for 6 episodes though.
So far I'm feeling that if it's the greatest drama of our time, the standard of the rest of tv must be quite low. Can't help but thinking that praise is because it's the Guardian and the show is about lesbians.

Please
or

NannyR · 11/04/2022 13:37

@Pasithea

If they finished her diaries last time then why push on with fake stories. That really puts me off. Like call the midwife. Absolute shit.

They didn't finish with her diaries in the first series, they covered a couple of decades and the first series only dealt with a short period of that.
Please
or

Mochudubh · 11/04/2022 14:07

I'm finding the hair very distracting, although I think there may be a portrait of Anne Lister with a similar hair do. Ann Walker's elaborate poodle do really annoys me for some reason. It must have taken her maid/dresser hours every day.

Please
or

Pebble21uk · 11/04/2022 14:10

Sally Wainwright has been incredibly faithful to the real diaries! Even to the point that Anne was known for striding around Halifax -it was one of her trademarks!

I love the show (but then I'm a lesbian and believe me, despite what people think, there is precious little good representation on prime time telly!)

Halifax has had a boom time on the tourist trail in the last couple of years despite the pandemic and a little known influential lesbian has become far more well known. More research is being done in real life, more of her diaries translated from her code, more history is being unearthed. It's really pretty exciting.

To the person up-thread who asked about her motivations towards Ann Walker... she did care for her very much but she was also a HUGE social climber! (undoubtedly Anne Lister had many unattractive traits)

Ann's money as well as Ann was the attraction - it was Ann Walker who financed refubishing Shibden Hall. Anne Lister was also still in love with an old flame who I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this series!

I love the breaking of the fourth wall (and she did it prior to Fleabag doing it). I believe it was done because it is the audience's chance to hear what Anne was putting in her diary, what her thoughts were - as that is what the whole drama is based on.

Maybe I'm biased but I agree with the Guardian - it is important and ground breaking for lots of reasons.

Please
or

woodhill · 11/04/2022 14:11

I hate the hairstyles and fashions of this era so unflattering and SJ severe hairstyle is dreadful too

Please
or

Nightlystroll · 11/04/2022 14:26

I love the show (but then I'm a lesbian and believe me, despite what people think, there is precious little good representation on prime time telly!)

I can totally see where you're coming from. But sadly I think it's sort of boring. The bits where she's out and about talking to other businessmen or dealing with the servants are genuinely interesting. Both in terms with how they relate to a woman, a lesbian, and indeed to Anne Lister herself who is a remarkable figure. These scenes are humorous, have energy and feel like they could spark off in unexpected directions.
In contrast the toing and the froing with the other women is a bit repetitive and boring. And breaking the fourth wall doesn't help me a lot because I still don't know what she's really thinking. Hopefully this is just setting the scene and it will pick up.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 11/04/2022 14:28

I really enjoyed the first series and have high hopes for this; so far, so good, and Suranne Jones is on top form. I know what happens to the protagonists here but am looking forward to seeing it play out.
And one of the things I like about Sally Wainwright is the verve and pace of her story-telling. I reminds me of Russell T Davies, with whom she's worked I think. It's like, off we go, hold on!

Please
or

cobblers123 · 11/04/2022 14:30

I'm not a fan of her other stuff on TV but I love this. I enjoyed series 1 very much so I thought last night's episode 1 of series 2 was excellent.

Love the way she strides everywhere at breakneck speed! Grin

Please
or

MaryStuart · 11/04/2022 14:31

I really enjoyed series 1 so I’m pleased they did a second series. I think Suranne Jones is fab in this, and I’ve never been a fan.
I think it’s great they’re telling Anne Lister’s story.

Please
or

Pebble21uk · 11/04/2022 14:34

I can totally see where you're coming from. But sadly I think it's sort of boring.

I think we have to agree that boring is completely and utterly subjective. Believe me... as someone who grew up watching (boring!) TV without ANY representation, it really is anything but boring!

Please
or

Nightlystroll · 11/04/2022 15:44

@Pebble21uk. Sorry to have offended you. I actually think Anne Lister and how she related to people around her, and them to her, is really interesting. Both because she's a woman but more particularly because she's a lesbian. There are so many interesting ways that could be explored. Obviously there are going to be lesbian relationships but I find the absorption over them, almost to the exclusion of the other relationships, a bit boring. Sorry. But like you say, it's subjective. However, I'm hopeful that other plot lines might come to the fore over the length of the series.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 11/04/2022 15:52

@Mochudubh is the very 21st century eyebrows that are putting me off!

Please
or

trancepants · 14/04/2022 11:50

@woodhill

Felt really sorry for the relatives of blonde Anne, where would aunt go. Lister isn't chucking out her own relatives in the same way

It is a bit too rushy

I think you've completely misunderstood that storyline. No-one is getting chucked out of their home. Ann Walker's aunt lives in her own house. Crows Nest, that Anne Lister is pressuring Ann Walker to sell was Ann's own house that she lived in alone (well, as alone as one can be with with a bunch of live-in servants). Crow's Nest is empty right now, apart from maintenance servants, who have to be paid to keep the house running while no-one lives in it. Anne Lister wants Ann Walker to sell it or at least lease it, so they can have income from it, instead of outgoings towards it.

The elderly aunt is a well off and financially secure in her own home. She is not in any way reliant on Ann Walker. However Ann's extended family were all very keen for her to marry a man of their choosing, a cousin or nephew who they would have liked to see benefit from her fortune. Or to have their families inherit from her if she died unmarried.

Anne Lister was 100% a fortune hunter. Her own financial independence meant she was free from having to marry as the vast, vast majority of her peers had to. But she was determined to find not just another woman to live her life with but one of equal social standing and with her own independent fortune to supplement her own and allow her to make the renovations and business investments she wanted. She would have most likely found it easier to find a lower class woman to officially hire as a ladies maid or a gentlewoman of no means to take on as a travelling companion. But she wanted to make a good, advantageous marriage as a man in her position easily would have.

Lister probably wouldn't have ever married Walker in today's world with today's freedom and different attitudes to love, finance and women's rights. But in their world, they were a good match. Yes, Lister benefitted financially from Walker's money and took advantage of that. But she also genuinely cared for her well-being. Respected her, gave her access to freedoms she would not otherwise have had. Gave her sexual and affectionate joy she was not likely to have found in a marriage to a man, especially if Walker was also exclusively attracted to women. Took real care of her in her depressive manic episodes. The odds are her family or a husband would have institutionalised her much faster without Lister protecting her. So while it's not a love story for the ages, Lister certainly isn't any sort of bad guy in their relationship.
Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 18/04/2022 03:10

Are the family with the pigs, AL's tenants? I'd forgotten that storyline. And wondering what they are adding the the story.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.