My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join to connect with others in similar situations and discuss legal processes, costs, well-being, and types of surrogacy.

Surrogacy

Surrogacy rules for UK, abroad

11 replies

mauraa · 24/03/2023 20:24

I am looking for past experiences for people who did surrogacy abroad and live in UK.

I read there needs to be one generic link. Does it matter if one parent does not have a UK passport but a spouse visa?

In the UK you cannot "pay" a surrogate mother. If using a foreign service, can you openly pay under law and bring the child here with the transfer order please?

Thank you

OP posts:
AudreyAustin · 12/06/2023 20:32

Hi! My husband and I doing surrogacy in Georgia (Eastern Europe). In Georgia commercial surrogacy is legal and you can hire a GC through an agency. Bringing your baby back is quite easy too

Mixedberrygenderfluidmuffin · 13/06/2023 06:28

Whether it’s legal or not, going abroad and buying a baby is immoral.
Please don’t be part of this disgusting trade.

mauraa · 13/06/2023 09:36

Thanks for the reply. What kind of docs did the visa centre or embassy ask for please?

OP posts:
justanothermanicmonday1 · 13/06/2023 10:03

Mixedberrygenderfluidmuffin · 13/06/2023 06:28

Whether it’s legal or not, going abroad and buying a baby is immoral.
Please don’t be part of this disgusting trade.

Surrogacy is hardly "buying a baby" please stop!

Whichwhatnow · 13/06/2023 10:09

justanothermanicmonday1 · 13/06/2023 10:03

Surrogacy is hardly "buying a baby" please stop!

It literally is. How would you describe it? It's going to a (usually third world) country and paying someone to take risks with their health to produce a child for you. A child that is probably going to have attachment issues due to being taken from their mother at birth.

It's grim on multiple levels.

recyclemeagain · 13/06/2023 10:16

It is buying a baby. It may not be what pro-surrogacy folks want to hear but that doesn't change the fact that it is buying a baby and ethically messy.

bakewellbride · 13/06/2023 19:16

My friend did this and it's so sad. The birth mother is in Ukraine and the baby must've yearned for her for absolutely ages. She was all he ever knew for 9 months.

Whichwhatnow · 13/06/2023 19:34

bakewellbride · 13/06/2023 19:16

My friend did this and it's so sad. The birth mother is in Ukraine and the baby must've yearned for her for absolutely ages. She was all he ever knew for 9 months.

My husband was adopted at birth (no addiction issues or anything with his birth parents, they were just very young). He's got a lovely family but SO many issues, major attachment issues in particular.

Why you would deliberately put a child through that is beyond me.

FannyCann · 15/06/2023 08:17

AudreyAustin · 12/06/2023 20:32

Hi! My husband and I doing surrogacy in Georgia (Eastern Europe). In Georgia commercial surrogacy is legal and you can hire a GC through an agency. Bringing your baby back is quite easy too

Is the pregnancy underway already @AudreyAustin ?
Because Georgia is about to ban foreign/commercial surrogacy so unless the pregnancy is established you would be sensible to change your plans.

Even misogynistic states with poor human rights records are waking up to the problems of reproductive tourism which amounts to people trafficking, buying babies and exploiting women. So Georgia adds itself to the list of countries that are banning surrogacy or at least commercial surrogacy for foreigners.

eurasianet.org/georgia-to-ban-surrogacy-for-foreigners

FannyCann · 15/06/2023 08:18

More about it on this twitter thread.

twitter.com/wombsnotforrent/status/1668972983480733696?s=46

FannyCann · 15/06/2023 08:26

And here is what a surrogate birth looks like in Georgia. With accompanying obstetric violence - don't look if you're of a sensitive nature.

twitter.com/anatrejopulido/status/1667227989463932928?s=46

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.