My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join to connect with others in similar situations and discuss legal processes, costs, well-being, and types of surrogacy.

Surrogacy

Surrogacy UK for my sister

8 replies

JackRatt · 15/10/2022 22:52

My sister has embryo a frozen in a different country. I am 42. We both live in the uk. After multiple failed attempts at IVF can I be a surrogate? How does it work if I have the embryo implanted in Turkey, but then I come back to the uk? Presuming all works out… tia

OP posts:
PritiPatelsMaker · 30/10/2022 19:57

Is it your DSis who has had the multiple attempts at IVF?

NoSki · 01/11/2022 15:50

What a lovely thing to do for your sister.
A friend is doing surrogacy.
There are Facebook groups you can join for questions and support. Lots of people travel abroad for IVF part and then come back to teh U.K.
In the U.K., for a parental order to be granted your sister needs to be resident in the U.K. and one or both of her and her husband has to be genetically related to the baby, you can’t carry a double donor embryo for example.

SandraSurrogate · 20/03/2023 10:20

This reply has been withdrawn

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

NoSki · 20/03/2023 12:24

Hi, I just wanted to clarify that @SandraSurrogate is wrong about it a few things regarding the law.
It doesn’t matter where you go for the embryo transfer if the surrogate and IPs are domiciled in the UK.
But under UK law, the surrogate and her husband if married are still out on the birth certificate despite whose genetics the baby is. You apply for a parental order and go to court after 6weeks post birth. The parents then get a new birth certificate with their name on. In the U.K. surrogacy is legal but not legally binding. Anyone can change their minds.
law reform is coming where IPs will go through the process pre birth and be named at birth but that not happened yet.
Legal advice will just tell you it’s not legally binding and the PO process is easy and you do it yourself, not need for lawyers.

Also voting for single transfer only if you can.

FannyCann · 20/03/2023 14:36

This reply has been withdrawn

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

NoSki · 20/03/2023 20:00

Hi, sorry @FannyCann you withdrew your message before i could read your reply to me.

FannyCann · 20/03/2023 20:36

Weird. I didn't request to withdraw my message @NoSki

It was a reply to SandraSurrogate highlighting not just her incorrect information regarding legal parenthood of surrogate born babies in the U.K. but also pointing out the risks of transferring more than one embryo, and how the HFEA had a successful "one at a time" campaign to reduce multiple births with IVF.

Of course she's entitled to request her post be withdrawn but I don't see why mine should have been @MNHQ
It was perfectly civil, but clarifying her ill informed advice, especially with regard to recommending having two embryos transferred.

NoSki · 21/03/2023 08:52

No problem!
Yes worrying that someone is advising people as a surrogate the wrong laws around who is on the birth certificate post birth. There is nothing you can currently sign during birth to put the IPA on the birth certificate and as to saying you just lie about who’s given birth and move around the EU!

yes, one transfer is better than 2.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.