My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join to connect with others in similar situations and discuss legal processes, costs, well-being, and types of surrogacy.

Surrogacy

The Drewit-Barlows

3 replies

OhHolyJesus · 04/02/2020 22:25

Something from the archives to reflect upon how the friendship with the surrogate mother broke down very soon after the birth, and also to compare to where this family are now

www.britishsurrogacycentre.com/2017/09/gay-dads-documentary-early-2000s/

And now

metro.co.uk/2019/11/18/britains-first-gay-dads-barrie-tony-drewitt-barlow-split-one-falls-love-scott-hutchison-11173321/

And lastly a recent appearance on Good Morning Britain

www.britishsurrogacycentre.com/2019/01/surrogacy-on-the-nhs-debate-on-gmb-with-barrie-drewitt-barlow/

OP posts:
OhHolyJesus · 07/09/2020 15:49

Following the Nordic Model Now webinar (), which mentioned the Drewitt Barlow's surrogacy agency British Surrogacy centre, I did some more research as I hadn't heard about the Megan Hoffner case...

Going back to 2005, here is the Times on the legal action against DBs because of closure of unlicensed Spanish school, and reference to BDB’s criminal conviction in Elche for threatening violence.

"The parents of 30 British children from the Lady of Elche School near Alicante are seeking damages of about £6,000 each from the millionaire businessmen after the school was shut by Spanish authorities for operating without a licence. In a separate action, six teachers including Anne Shaul, the former headmistress, and Cynthia Watson, the former deputy head, are each claiming a similar amount in damages. John and Michelle McGuiness are suing for an undisclosed sum after investing in the school. Bob Palmer, 40, from Liskeard, Cornwall, father of Sean, 15, a former pupil, said: “I’m furious at Barrie and Tony. I’m not the only one. My son has lost a year of his education.”

"Last week Mr Drewitt was convicted of threatening two former school parents. The magistrate fined him €120 (£92) and warned him that he could be jailed if he does not pay."
www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article1933795.ece

In 2006 the Daily Mail reports on Barrie's conviction in Spain for threatening to have a complainant shot, over argument of the unlicensed school where Barry, gave sex ed lectures despite not being a qualified teacher, this is a good account of what led up to this:

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-408666/Why-pictures-millionaire-gay-dads-children-dating-website.html

In 2010 UK there is the Government Insolvency Service Report on the DBs’ 8-year directorship disqualification:

www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/pressreleases/insolvency-service-anthony-and-barry-drewitt-barlow-both-given-8-year-director-disqualifications-438470

Here's The Mirror reporting in 2016 that Barrie is being sued by surrogate mother Megan Hoffner for his activities in the United States that she claims to have caused her harm:
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/could-uks-first-gay-dads-7214266

Barrie Drewitt-Barlow had two county court judgments against him in the UK from 2011 and 2013 and in paperwork relating to one of these judgments, he is referred to as “Dr Barrie Drewitt-Barlow”. (He is also deemed so poor that payments are made of £50-400). Also I noticed Tony DB calling himself Dr Antony and Barry changing the spelling of his name to Barrie. I can't help but feel that it is connected to VISAs/Citizenship in the USA, and if they declared all that they were asked to declare, it is staggering to me that the visas were granted.)

The Drewitt-Barlows were aware of the investigation into their activities but they have at least two businesses (The British Surrogacy Centre and Princeton Consumer Research in California and New Jersey). They would have been expected to declare on their US visa applications all this wouldn't they?

With all this in mind I'm deeply shocked that the Law Commission considers these men to be 'stakeholders' in the law reform process in a country they don't live in, where they have been disbarred from being Directors in. Maybe the Law Commission didn't do there research but it didn't take me long to put this together.

OP posts:
FannyCann · 09/09/2020 07:59

Gosh, what an unsavoury trail. I had no idea of their extensive record of dubious activities.
Shocking that these shysters are playing an active role influencing the law Commission deliberations on new laws that will open up commercial surrogacy in the UK.

Thanks @OhHolyJesus

OhHolyJesus · 28/09/2020 13:26

Sharing this here, as another surrogate baby has been purchased to expand the family.

I didn't realise that Barry/Barrie has been a sperm donor 12 times (according to the linked story at the bottom), so his existing children (x5, now 6?), the ones he isn't biologically related to, assuming Tony used his sperm at some point in the past surrogate pregnancies, will have half-siblings across the world due to his "secret life as an ‘international sperm donor".

www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/12781801/uk-first-gay-dad-welcomes-baby-daughter-ex/

My main thoughts are:

Due to the family fortune a divorce is too tricky to negotiate so whilst Barry/Barrie says the marriage is over they all live together, including Scott.

The baby girl, Valentina, takes the Drewitt-Barlow surname so has no genetic relationship to Scott?

"And the mind-boggling connections between the siblings will become even more confusing with Scott and Barrie’s daughter, as they have decided they don’t want to know which of them is the biological father."

The surrogate mother Marie, has done this before but clearly she is knackered as this is her last surrogacy. I hope she is ok, the birth was premature and I imagine it likely she has a c-section.

“I am overjoyed to share the news that Scott and I are pregnant with triplet girls. We are using a surrogate and she’s fallen pregnant at the first attempt."

So elsewhere (public domain) Barry claimed to have had two male foetuses, brothers to Valentina, but were they terminated in the womb?

“Our family has too many boys and too much testosterone! So we used sex selection to even things out. We know we are having girls,” he added. (This is legal in parts of the US as I understand it. This is not the story that is presented in the video at the bottom though, he says the surrogate miscarried two of the three foetuses after 3 fertilised eggs were implanted. Poor Marie.)

There was some kind of 'interview' process for the egg donor...
"Barrie said: “We found a beautiful, young, educated egg donor before the surrogate.

“We met 15 egg donors at the Beverly Wiltshire hotel, the hotel in the film Pretty Woman. We decided that would make the perfect setting to find the woman who would add the part of the DNA for our baby girl."

How very glamourous and 'pick me'.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.