Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Questions re: being a surrogate.

Methenyouplus4 · 20/06/2014 19:53

1.if you didn't use your own eggs, what was the process like to get pregnant?
2.did you find it physically tough /demanding and did it have an affect on your job/other children?
3.how much time did all the hospital visits etc take?
4.do NHS offer any form of funding if the couple have fertility problems (they've all ready tried ivf through NHS & privately).

I'm asking as it's something we're considering offering to friends who've been unable to have their own children but wanted to know a bit more about the process first.

Thank you in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Methenyouplus4 · 20/06/2014 19:54

I mean funding for the procedure, not for myself.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OddBoots · 20/06/2014 20:08

I've had 3 surrogate pregnancies and two failed IVF cycles as a gestational surrogate.

1. The process was a physical examination/scan and 2 rounds of counselling before the case going to the ethics committee. After approval my side of things was down regulating (an injection to turn off my cycle), estrogen tablets to build up my womb lining with about 3 scans to assess progress, progesterone pessaries twice a day starting on egg collection day (until 12 weeks pregnant) then embryo transfer with ultrasound. The horrible, horrible 2 week wait then a scan at the clinic at 7 weeks pregnant before being discharged to my own midwife.

2. I found the down-regulating hard, it had the side effect of making me suicidal but that's rare. I wasn't working, I don't think I could manage all the clinic visits in my current job as it's not flexible but it could be done fairly easily in a more flexible job. I took things fairly easy in the 2 week wait but didn't do bedrest as some do as studies show it doesn't help. My children were fine with it, they were little and sometimes came with us (intended father sat with them during procedures).

3. I had about 3-4 pre-cycle appointments to get the clinic approval. I think I had about 5-8 visits per cycle depending on how quickly my lining built and how well the eggs were doing in the mum. Other than the first couple of visits with the counselling and the transfer each visit was only about 30 mins but it depends where the clinic is as to how long the travelling time would be.

4. If they have already had the NHS cycles for themselves it's very very unlikely - it's a battle to get NHS funding for surrogacy at all. Sorry.
Please
or

Beepbeepnow · 21/06/2014 13:32

I can't answer as a surrogate as am an ip. If you want to find out more then on fertility friends there is a surrogacy board which is used more I think. My advice is to do lots of research, chat to lots to find out if you think you want to be a surro...if you do...then I wish you all the luck in the world

Please
or

Methenyouplus4 · 22/06/2014 23:20

Sorry, what's an iP?

Oddboots, thanks for the information. How long would you say the appointments/ medical side took from start to finish (in months)?

OP's posts:
Please
or

smellyfishead · 24/06/2014 20:59

intended parent.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.