My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Small pets

Poorly bunny... Is it time to day goodbye?

15 replies

Pomeranio9834 · 11/02/2018 13:49

Might get long...

Bunno is a rescue rescue, I got her at around 7 months old after she was attacked by her cage mates so not sure of the breed but she is a big rabbit, with lop ears.

She's had a tough run, and had a severe eye infection that lasted for months and months and nothing was working to solve it and she was so thin. Eventually we took her 300 miles way to a rabbit specialist vet who removed most of her teeth except the two bottom incisors(?). Lots of medicine and back and forth for duct flushing she eventually got better. That was until we discovered she had had a reaction to the injections we had been giving her (she is a very fluffy rabbit) and had actual holes in her skin. Another surgery later and that was resolved as well. I probably spent in excess of £3500 over this time.

She's now about 8 or 9 and the vet thinks she has e-conuculi (might not be right spelling)... She can now seems to only be able to drag her legs behind her and falls over often. She is on a 28 day dose of panacur. She can't seem to get to her back end to clean herself/eat those sticky poop things (I forget what they are called) so I have to keep cleaning her butt a few times a day.

On top of all these I seemed to have developed an allergy to her. I've always been slightly irritated by her but she's not a very affectionate rabbit so she keeps to herself and I keep to mine. Now she requires constant care I constantly have a rash and itchinesd and swollen eyes, sneezing, itchy throat etc. I'm worried this is clouding my judgement as well.

Is it time to euthanize when she can't hop properly or keep herself clean? She is still eating and drinking etc and does try to hop about the living room but mostly just ends up falling over. It's so sad to see her like this

OP posts:
Morewashingtodo · 11/02/2018 13:55

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boxyfingo · 11/02/2018 14:10

How long has your bunny been on the e-caniculi medication?
We have a bunny who seemed very poorly but did get better with Panacur and anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic. It took over a week for it to make any difference, and he is now in good health. We also had another rabbit who lost use of back legs and struggled to keep clean. We gave him medication for 28 days but then decided to euthanize him as he had not make any progress.
If I was in your position I would probably call it a day if she doesn't show any signs of improvement after a couple of weeks on medication.

Pomeranio9834 · 11/02/2018 14:18

Thanks for the replies. She has only been on the panacur for 4 days, but it does seem to be getting worse so far Sad

OP posts:
boxyfingo · 11/02/2018 14:39

Poor bunny. Did the vet say how long it would take to show any improvement? I think 4 days is maybe too soon for it to take much effect.

Pomeranio9834 · 11/02/2018 15:29

The vet said that she didn't expect to see any improvement, but it would stop it from getting progressively worse. When she started the panacur it was only intermittent and I thought manageable but each morning it seems worse

OP posts:
boxyfingo · 11/02/2018 16:16

In that case I think she has been through enough. It's a horrible decision to make but I think you have done all you can for your bun and you should be proud of how much you have cared for her.

bunnygeek · 12/02/2018 10:53

Do the full course of Panacur, I think it's 31 days that's needed now rather than 28 days. Constant changing in the bunny medical world. It takes that long for the full lifecycle of the parasite to be killed off. If she's still willing to eat and you can restrict her movement so she's not distressed in that respect, do the full course and make a judgement in a month.

It can be so hard to call it when they're unwell :(

Pomeranio9834 · 12/02/2018 13:20

Urgent advise please

I am off work unwell today (I had a severe headache and temperature) And when I went through to check on the bunny she was lying lifeless but still slightly breathing.

I know she is dying... is it better to just make her comfortable and warm in a quiet place or take her to the vet to be out to sleep? At this stage I'm not even sure she would make it to the vet and stressing her out putting her in her carry box etc seems cruel but so does leaving her. Please help

OP posts:
bunnygeek · 12/02/2018 13:36

I would recommend taking her to the vet if you can. It's a dilemma but that's what I would do. So sorry :(

Pomeranio9834 · 12/02/2018 14:26

I called the vet and they recommend I take her in but by the time I had shoved some clothes on she had already gone Sad poor little rabbit

OP posts:
bunnygeek · 12/02/2018 15:17

Oh no :( binky free bunbun.

Morewashingtodo · 12/02/2018 20:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummymummums · 12/02/2018 20:58

Very sorry to hear this, you were a brilliant bunny mum and did everything you could. Not many people would drive 300 miles for a vet. She was fortunate to have been adopted by you. Thinking of you.

Cataline · 12/02/2018 21:05

So sad but I bet she had the most wonderful life with you. You sound like a great bunny mum!

Inthedeepdarkwinter · 12/02/2018 21:13

She did get lucky with you. Sorry to hear she's died:(

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.