My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Small pets

Very new to owning Guinea Pigs and I am scared one GP does not like the other!

37 replies

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 27/05/2012 21:39

We (me, DH and 7 yr old DS) got 2 young guineas on Friday - so 2 days ago. One of them is more skittish than the other and it seems to me that he is fighting with the other one a bit. Also the dominant, more skittish one is humping the more placid one.

They make a kind of cooing purring noise and the more dominant one definitely chases the other one around.

We have a good sized pen, have fed them so far the pellets we got from Pets At Home, plus baby sweetcorn, very small slices of apple and some cucumber. They are both eating and drinking and pooping well!

Do they sound okay? Should I be worried about the dominance of the other over the other? All 3 of us have held and petted the two GPs over the past 2 days because we are very keen for them to come to trust us.

The more dominant one has tried to bite me and DH though it was more of a nibble. They are very scared when we hold them - their eyes go wide and they appear scared.

Does this all sound normal?? We just want to be Good GP owners :)

OP posts:
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 30/05/2012 13:08

Sorry to take so long to report back! I took the baby to the P@H vet (awful impersonal experience - I did not even get to see or speak to the vet myself!) and it is an ulcer, but they do not know what caused it.

I have been given some fuci..something (too lazy to go and check what it is!) gel to put in baby's eye twice a day and he needs to go for a check up again in two days' time. He seems fine today. Chirruping, eating, pooping and scuttling about. His eye looks a bit better than day before yesterday so here's to hoping that it will heal fully.

The vet service at the moment is free, but I am very worried about vets' bills in the future. Should we consider pet insurance? Think we may have to. We are not flush so it will be a necessity, I think?

OP posts:
70isaLimitNotaTarget · 30/05/2012 13:26

I don't know if vet insurance is available for GPs. I looked on some online (most are cat & dog. Some rabbit. One called Small friends or something but I couldn't see any GP on there.

Best plan really is to get his eye sorted ( did P@H treat him for free?) If it's an ulcer then it sounds like its a trauma or foreign body.
The gel (possibly Fucidin or similar?) will take care of any infection., and as you say it looks better.

Then find a cavvy savvy vet- Cavy Cambridge Trust have a list of vets, but I'd think you have to be a member.(IIRC it's £35 for all your GP/year. But you can take them for check ups and phone for advice)

But you're right, I'd be put off by an impersonal experience. I don't expect a vet to love the hogs like I do, but I don't want them treated as if they are an annoying piece of fur that squeaks.

What area are you in. Someone on here might give you a name.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 30/05/2012 13:29

Yes, he was treated for free. I have seen insurance via this forum. Cannot remember what it is called. Quote was about £16 a month for the two boys.

I am near Guildford, Surrey.

Thanks for all your advice! Off to do some job related stuff!

OP posts:
BonkeyMollocks · 30/05/2012 13:37

Re. insurance , i just put at least £10 a month back into the 'piggy account' just in case. I have been stung with insurance before and not keen unless its nessacary.

Hoperiod your piggy gets well soon!

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 30/05/2012 17:43

I put our boys details in PetPlan exotics and for £2000 worth of cover was £16-£20 per month.

So for my 2 boys, £240 ish per annum.

I'm sure some vets would let you set up an account (if you are registered with the,)

Or I could do as Bonkey does and set up a direct debit into a Guinea Account.

The other sites I went on were either USA or cat/dog.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 31/05/2012 08:14

Looks like little's one is not improving. I will ring P@H again today. The eye is all gunky and crusty, poor thing Sad.

OP posts:
70isaLimitNotaTarget · 31/05/2012 08:38

Alliwant -when you took piglet to the P@H vet, did they just take the piglet in and not let you in for the consultation?
Or was it one of the staff he saw, with the vet prescribing the gel without you seeing him/her?

Definately phone them today- they might say "it takes a few days to work, clean cleaning the eye and using the gel" or ask you to bring him in.
If you do make sure that you talk to the vet.
And ask if any other pigs from that 'batch' have reported problems. But I'm presuming or assuming that your other pig has no trouble with his eyes.
(Doesn't mean it's not an infection though.My DD used to get conjunctivitis as a baby, my DS never caught it)

The pigs are imported from breeders in Spain (I found this out in our local one about a month ago) So they have to endure a journey before they get there.
I'd never seen gummy eyes GPs before I saw them.

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 31/05/2012 08:46

Can you print off the Guinea Pig Lynx page?

There's a list of possible causes-
respiratory- he'd need antibiotics and probiotics but does he has other symptoms
tooth problems- get the vet to check his front and back teeth
dehydration
injury
diabetes

Poor piglet Sad

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 31/05/2012 09:51

70isaLimit, I cannot thank you enough for your advice!

I have neither seen nor spoken to a vet but I will insist on it today. I will print off the page you recommend and stick it under the vet's nose and report back asap.

OP posts:
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 01/06/2012 07:17

Baby's eye is LOTS better today and I am taking him to the vet at 4pm. Hopefully he will not need anymore treatment.

OP posts:
70isaLimitNotaTarget · 01/06/2012 08:20

Good to hear Grin

Hopefully it was a scratch or something that caused the problem.

It is so difficult when they aren't well (I had a major panic when GP2 got hay in his eye. Logic goes kapuut)

But something to remember with GPs in future- they hide their illness and can go quickly. Most of the GPs I had as a child had a sort of cold and died within 24 hours. It is that fast. But we had some 6-7 yo so a good innings.
Trust your instincts with GPs.

If they look huddled, starey coat, not eating, dull weepy/crusty eyes - they are ill.

Hope your pig gets a clean bill of health now ! Wink

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere · 02/06/2012 10:27

I went in with pig to see the vet yesterday and the vet was LOVELY! She knew exactly what she was doing, explained everything to me and confirmed that his eye is much better.

Apparently there is no infection so the eye gel is an antibiotic to prevent infection and to lubricate the eye. His eye is starting to protrude again which also shows that he is not in so much pain any more.

All good!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.