My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Second hand clothes - would you or wouldn't you - and is it really a class thing?

134 replies

flobbleflobble · 30/06/2005 08:38

Do you let your kids wear second-hand clothes?
I have just read a book which claims that this is a class indicator!
Apparently only the higher social classes find it acceptable to wear second hand clothes.
Discuss!!!

OP posts:
Lanaorana1 · 06/12/2016 22:32

If you're middle/upper class, charity shop clothes are a fun bargain/vintage.

If you're not, you're literally covering yourself with shame.

All just attitudes, but oh-so powerful. Am currently in secondhand brora, so you can tell where I stand.

Maybe it's more of a class thing than an income thing too. My income is crap at the mo but I would still nip to the hospice shop rather than Primark. Can that really be because I have an MA? No, it's because I like Brora more than acrylic, ie stereotypically MC choices, so the chazza is where it's at.

wheresthewine36 · 06/12/2016 22:40

I'm working class and my kids and myself wear second hand. It's not a class thing.

rockingthelook · 06/12/2016 23:53

I buy the majority of clothing from carboots and charity shops, can't remember the last time I paid full price in a shop for anything for myself. I have a good job but am a lone parent family with no benefits and daughters in uni, I like to look smart for work , I think I look good in my clothes, but little do the other staff know how little I pay to wear such nice stuff, lots of dresses, smart blouses never paid more than £5 for anything including Autograph, Warehouse, Principles etc all bargains. My daughters used to pull their faces at my weekend car boot hauls but now having to manage on a grant love to see what I come home with, such as Topshop hotpants, BooHoo playsuit, River Island jeans all 50p an item!, i would rather spend my disposable income on keeping warm in the winter, full fridge, helping my parents out, occasional treats than paying wads out to the high street, and thank god I am fortunate enough not to be in debt, items not worn , don't fit etc go back to the charity shop for someone else to benefit

gingerh4ir · 07/12/2016 07:09

we must be very posh then Grin

Both DC wear hand me downs and I get a lot if stuff from charity shops. We are not loaded but I could afford new cloths instead of second hand. but it saves some money and I do generally like the idea of recycling.

I am not British though and don't have any British friends who let their children wear hand me downs (regardless of income - I have some friends who struggle hugely financially and still maintain that their DC must only wear brand new clothes).

I always assumed it was more cultural and just not such a 'thing' over here. Confused

Blueredballoon · 07/12/2016 07:17

My children and I often wear second hand clothes. I have some brilliant charity shops near me and I only ever buy good quality stuff from them- often it doesn't even look as though it's been worn.

I like saving money and recycling. I'm not sure what's shameful about it really.

Floisme · 07/12/2016 07:25

My son always wore second hand clothes. It meant there was more shopping money left for me.

mathanxiety · 07/12/2016 07:31

I wear mostly second hand clothes from great local charity shops, and the DDs do too. DD1 is on top of that something of a dumpster diver and has furnished her apartment with the odd thing she picked up off the curb.

When the DCs were young I always sent on bundles of clothes, snow bibs, skates, jackets to friends and we always got to sort through a few bags from other friends when all of our DCs were small. Otherwise we wouldn't have had a gin fund.

NerrSnerr · 07/12/2016 08:11

I agree with Bertrand, it's easier to charity shop when it's a hobby (like it is for me). I'm luckily that we get lots of hand me downs, but we do loads of charity shopping too. I hate buying new clothes for myself, I get much more satisfaction from finding a great bargain.

Floisme · 07/12/2016 08:28

It's true, there's a big difference between second hand shopping as a hobby and as a necessity. There's nothing I enjoy more than routing for second but I'm after bargainous high end bits and pieces that will make my wardrobe look more interesting and expensive. If I had to clothe myself entirely that way, it would be completely different.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.