Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

If you get Botox, when do you like the results most?

10 replies

yesiwillhold · 25/01/2023 16:46

I’m mid thirties and fairly new to Botox. I researched clinicians carefully and have now had it in three places on three separate occasions and been happy with the results. Every time I have had the same amount injected following the same face map of injection sites. Only
went for a follow up the first visit and she didn’t inject more as I was happy with the results and was wary of being too frozen.

I find it kicks in extremely quickly, within a couple of days, and I tend to like the result most when it’s only a few days old (I.e not fully kicked in) and then again a couple
of months down the line when it’s wearing off.

I don’t like it at all at 10 days/2 week mark usually for around a fortnight. I guess when it’s at absolute maximum freeze.

So I suppose my question is: should I get less? Or is this a fairly standard feeling?

I spoke to my nurse and she said it’s basically personal preference but if I had less ML put in then the results wouldn’t last as long. It wouldn’t make it cheaper either is my understanding as I still want the three areas targeted and this clinic charges by area rather than ML. If anything it seems it would be more expensive in long term to get less injected as I’d visit more frequently, plus overall I’d have more time per year where I don’t like the effect vs putting up with a couple of weeks where I feel too frozen to get a longer wearing off period.

I’ve found it hard to time Botox appts around weddings/holidays as before starting I assumed two weeks before a wedding is exactly when I’d want to get injected for the freshest face possible for an event…but actually that’s when I look the strangest!

Long way of saying: if you get Botox is it normal to prefer the “look” as it beds in more than when it’s at max effect? Do you try to time your appts around big events or just go four monthly (or whatever) and the frozen face falls when it falls?

Suspect I am massively overthinking this, as always!

Opinions appreciated :)

OP posts:
Please
or

Okaydonkey · 25/01/2023 19:03

So, my nurse tends to under inject and I nearly always need a top up. Even at my most ‘frozen’ I don’t look as odd as others I see.
We aim to look fresh rather than fake, if that makes sense?
Anyway- the result is that I don’t worry about my timings. For example I was due to go in December, I had some movement in my face but it still looked fresh so I waited until January. I now need a tiny top up, after my last appointment, and have a little movement still. I’m not weird a shiny and frozen looking.
However, I’m 49 and my face is maybe more lived looking than yours to begin with 😂

Please
or

Delatron · 25/01/2023 21:13

I’m the same. So much so I stopped having it as I couldn’t cope with the first month or so - despite different (highly recommended) doctors. I find I look a bit sneery and I hate it. I asked for a low dose/baby Botox. I think I’m very sensitive to it.

I love it from month 2.5 onwards. I think it has worn off in month 4 but it hasn’t completely so I’m still happy then. Normally around the 6 month mark I start to think about having more as I look tired and lined again and put it off as I don’t want to look strange for a month!

Please
or

superplumb · 26/01/2023 08:57

It takes about 2 weeks to notice usually. I like it about a month in after the heavy brow feeling has passed

Please
or

Mrcpy · 26/01/2023 09:42

Mid 30’s here too. Like you, I don’t enjoy the fully frozen look. I get half a dose (I know it costs the same) in two areas on my face. I just have it done once a year, in April/May. It has its maximum effect in the bright summer months when otherwise I’d be squinting against the sun. Then it gradually wears off. For the rest of the year, my face is mobile but I’ve gotten out of the habit of frowning/squinting so I don’t have any lines.

But different people have different sensitivity to Botox. If other people have half a dose, they might not be completely frozen. But for me I get frozen for 4-5 months.

Please
or

CountryCob · 26/01/2023 09:48

I have botox about twice a year and let it wear off in between, am early 40s, it stops it getting too frozen but also reduces wrinkle formation. Not a recommended approach but works for me

Please
or

FrozenGhost · 26/01/2023 09:49

I get less than the amount the nurse recommends, and I always confirm that yes, I understand it might not be the result some are looking for and I'm fine with it wearing off a bit quicker.

Please
or

Everybodywants · 27/01/2023 09:02

10 weeks or so for me is the best bit. Maybe 12. It lasts 5 months for me until wearing off but I usually have to stretch it to 6 financially so get it twice a year. I'm 10 days in now and got that shiny thing so not loving that.

Please
or

TheWelshTart · 27/01/2023 10:20

I am like you @yesiwillhold . I like the immediate effect as it lifts my eyebrows and helps with upper eye wrinkles initially but prefer it when it is wearing off. My doc has a conservative approach. I go every 5 months.

Please
or

yesiwillhold · 27/01/2023 10:43

These replies are all so helpful! Thank you. I thought I was getting it “wrong” somehow so interesting to hear I’m not alone in not liking the result throughout.

I keep thinking mine has completely worn off (currently four months post) then looking at photos and realising it really hasn’t. There’s a lot more movement but not like it’s never been done.

Like a previous poster I think you get out of the habit of extreme facial expressions anyway after a while which has to help with the forehead wrinkles - certainly does in my case.

Thanks for all the replies 💉

OP posts:
Please
or

Delatron · 27/01/2023 11:00

Yes I often think mine has worn off at 4 months but realise at about 6-7 months that it was still there, taking the edge off the wrinkles.

The mistake I made was thinking it had worn off at around 3.5-4 months (as per what they tell you), having some more and looking bloody awful for a month - everyone noticed and it looked very unnatural. That was last May and I’m only just thinking about getting more as it looked so bad. Was a good doctor too but just too frequent for me.

Please
or