Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Spotty Back

21 replies

BrennieGirl · 25/01/2023 14:55

I'm looking for a bit of advice for DD who is 15. She's got a bit of a spotty face but is quite good about keeping it clean and using moisturiser and other products.

The problem is her back. She's got a ball/dance thing coming up in a couple of months so she's suddenly worried about her spotty back. I don't know what kind of products to recommend - a wash for the shower or some sort of topical cream?

Any recommendations please?

OP posts:
Please
or

JengaCupboard · 25/01/2023 15:06

I had the same issue (and neck/chest) until my mid-late twenties and it was miserable. Mine was fixed long-term with (I think) the pill and just growing out of it, but I still get the odd break out even now.

The one other thing that used to clear it right up was the sun. And... I know I'll get slammed for this as I know it's terrible and I don't even know if its allowed at her age, but I had about 20 minutes in total over about 6 sessions of sun beds before my wedding and it totally cleared it up, albeit temporarily. For absolute clarity I'm not advocating sunbeds in any way as we all know the danger, but it did work...

Please
or

PattyBladell · 25/01/2023 15:12

Bit of a strange question but here goes.... how does she wash her hair and in what order does she do it? I suffered with this for ages, as well as on my chest, until I was advised to try and wash my hair away from my body as the products can cause acne if they're not washed off properly. So ideally lean over a bit and rinse your hair, and then wash your body after to wash off any product. I started doing this a few months ago and I've definitely noticed an improvement

Please
or

Crimblecrumble1990 · 25/01/2023 15:23

Since acne is largely down to hormones, I think you will struggle to clear it up with a cream.

Maybe body make up would help? Like the kind that covers tattoos? Or choosing an outfit that covers that area like high neck lace or cool blazer etc.

I feel her pain, my back is awful. The only thing that stops the spots is the pill for me. And when I have breaks for pregnancies etc, I have to use a couple of sun beds like the PP to get rid of the scarring when I go back on it.

Please
or

sunflowersatdawn · 25/01/2023 16:56

There's a spray you can buy in Boots - tea tree back spray, try that I think it's £3 or 4

Please
or

rcat74 · 25/01/2023 17:04

Laser treatment cleared this up for me. I only needed one or two sessions. I also realised wool jumpers made it worse. The laser clinic also recommended a spray which worked well but I can’t remember the name of it. It was fairly expensive.

Please
or

Niftythrifter · 25/01/2023 17:09

I don’t know if they still do it but Boots has a spray in the Witch Hazel range that I have bought previously. Worth a try

Please
or

Niftythrifter · 25/01/2023 17:10

Might be tea tress as a PP said. O

Please
or

Helenahandkart · 25/01/2023 17:37

Mine was terrible until I was 30. The only thing that fixed it was sunshine. Until I stopped eating sugar when it miraculously cleared up. Will she consider a sugar-free experiment to see if that helps?

Please
or

Passmeaplacard · 25/01/2023 17:40

A face wash with salicylic Acid should help

Please
or

yesterdayisgone · 25/01/2023 17:44

Acnecide is a cream that contains peroxide . It works really well but your DD would want to start using it soon to clear up her back as it can take at least few weeks to work .
i think it’s best used at night as the peroxide fades any top you’re wearing so best use old t shirts at night time .
available in pharmacies, in Ireland it costs around €20

Please
or

ImAvingOops · 25/01/2023 18:57

Can the dr not give her any topical medication - I think I had something called zineryt when I was younger that I just dabbed on each spot - dried it all up a treat

Please
or

BrennieGirl · 25/01/2023 19:38

Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to show her the thread and we'll decide what to do.

OP posts:
Please
or

Boppertini · 25/01/2023 19:42

www.superdrug.com/skin/body-care/body-gels/me-salicylic-acid-body-gel-cream-250ml/p/810219

This one is great and such a good price! Unless she has very sensitive skin - it’s fairly strong. Can be a bit too much to use every day at the start, building tolerance helps.

Please
or

CombatBarbie · 25/01/2023 20:21

Boppertini · 25/01/2023 19:42

www.superdrug.com/skin/body-care/body-gels/me-salicylic-acid-body-gel-cream-250ml/p/810219

This one is great and such a good price! Unless she has very sensitive skin - it’s fairly strong. Can be a bit too much to use every day at the start, building tolerance helps.

@Boppertini does it bleach stain your sheets?

We've used benzyl peroxide before for back acne which did help but she got fed up of her clothes, bedding, towels getting bleach stained.

Please
or

Boppertini · 25/01/2023 20:29

No stains as far as I’ve seen, but maybe avoid favourite clothes for a day or two to test it out just to be sure.

Please
or

lissie123 · 25/01/2023 20:30

Has you dd seen a doctor yet? Might be worthwhile seeing them first for a professional view before embarking on alternatives.

Please
or

Blooboo · 25/01/2023 20:35

I really suffered with this until well into my 30s. Tried all sorts to little effect. Them, the one thing that completely inadvertently did the trick was Victamin D. I was taking it for energy levels and it magically eradicated the bacne. Worth a try?

Please
or

cannaethink · 25/01/2023 21:56

I also had a spotty back til I was early 30s. I used niacinamide serum after washing night and morning. It cleared it up completely. I use a niacinamide spray now and occasionally salicylic acid. It’s still nice and clear.

Please
or

Waterthatplant · 25/01/2023 22:00

my spotty back cleared up when I started taking silicea supplement.

Please
or

Galadriel90 · 25/01/2023 22:20

Acne is mostly hormonal. Go to the GP, lots of things to try these days. I lose a topical antibiotic called Dalacin T.

Please
or

saveusernamesgames · 25/01/2023 22:44

I've had a spotty back since my 20s. I had an outbreak of adult acne then and antibiotics cleared it up but not my back.

I use a back wash in the shower with one of those brushes on a long stick and it's improved the spots on my back.

Please
or