Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Aging in your 30s

16 replies

JollieJullie · 24/01/2023 09:37

Did you find that you started visibly aging in your 30s? What bits of your body started showing age first? Did you find any tricks that slowed down the process a little?

I am in my mid 30s and the skin under my eyes has definitely changed in the last couple of years. It is dry, crepey and just "weird". Make up doesn't sit the same way, I had to come up with new ways to put on concealer. The rest of my face is a little more hollow than it used to be, but still ok I think. Body is holding up well so far, long may it continue!

Curious to hear everyone's experience with early signs of aging in your 30s and beyond Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

AllOfThemWitches · 24/01/2023 09:39

Got a couple of light lines on my forehead. Cba doing anything about it though!

Please
or

Nannyfannybanny · 24/01/2023 09:48

Nope,am fairly careful with my skin/body, not neurotically so. Met my DH at 40 at work,he reckoned I must have had a facelift. I had blokes in their 20s asking me out. I have always had greasy skin/hair up to a year ago (am now 72) a few crows feet,bar codes and a turkey neck I detest, but can't afford to do anything about. I worked with a Plastic surgeon about 40 years ago,who said that the best eye treatment you can use is vaseline. I use it to remove waterproof eye makeup. The lady in Boots at the cosmetic counter who accosted me,was absolutely horrified. In answer to your question,I would say getting on for 60, although work colleagues in their teens/twenties were always shocked I had a daughter just 19 years younger than me, and become a grandmother at 42. Interestingly, most of my friends are in their 50s

Please
or

MidnightMeltdown · 24/01/2023 23:38

I'm in my 30s. Have started getting a few grey hairs and am finding it harder to keep my weight down! The second one might be partly because I'm mostly wfh these days though.

Please
or

play017 · 24/01/2023 23:44

I am starting to get crows feet and wonder whether I should get Botox, but DH is quite against it. I've started using retinol instead not sure if it helps much but my skin does look better.

I also have sun spots and got laser to get rid of them. I now religiously apply sunblock and stay out of the sun as much as possible

Please
or

Daydre4mer · 25/01/2023 06:54

I’m 39
i regularly exercise, my body looks good (if I may say so !)
I hold say my face.. I think my lips are thinner now, I also struggle with concealer. As the one i currently have does conceal but dries out too. Don’t have any lines yet or grey hair!
have a few chin bristles I have to pluck, they’ve appeared over the last 4/5 years.

Please
or

LaLuz7 · 25/01/2023 07:18

I'm 31 and I can't say I look that much different, though my face looks puffy and weird in the morning. Maybe a bit of sagging too.

Where I do feel a difference is in how I feel. Energy levels, the god damn acid reflux, random headaches and being influenced by the weather, etc...

Please
or

TheOGCCL · 25/01/2023 10:42

I really started to notice my age in my early forties. Some hollowing in my cheeks and under my eyes that no amount of make up can fix. My skin texture is still good but I look back at pictures in my thirties and I still have that naturally youthful bloom. Although there are plenty of older women who look great (imo), like Davina, Trinny, or Gabby Logan, they just can’t fake or replicate that.

Please
or

Tiffan · 25/01/2023 10:44

Everything is a little 'softer' the more you get into your thirties.
Regular exercise including weights helps. On my face it's using Tretinoin as I think skin condition is key.

Please
or

KStockHERO · 25/01/2023 10:58

In my early 30s, I started to notice my skin getting a little bit dull, a little bit loose, and a little bit lined.

So at 35 to address those issues, I started a good skincare routine and I stick to it religiously.

At the same time, I started to exercise seriously (particularly strength training), tried to ensure I got enough sleep, stopped worrying and stressing, and made sure I was drinking plenty of water. This wasn't just about my skin but wider lifestyle health to take me into middle-age.

This isn't a stealth boast but I'm 37 now and my skin and body have never looked so good. Several people have commented recently on how glowing, even, plump and healthy my skin looks. My body is tight and toned. I've never felt so confident in my body. One of the trainers at my gym was really shocked when I started talking about plans for my 40th - he said he thought I was 25 Shock

My hair, OTOH, is pretty shite. I've dyed the absolute shit out of it since I was 14. I'm pretty good at styling it to look healthy but one day I'll have to shave it all off and start again.

Please
or

QueenWenceslas · 25/01/2023 14:55

I’m 36, nearly 37.

My hair started going grey when I was 19, I have my roots coloured every five weeks and use a cover up spray as needed in between.

I noticed that I started looking a bit haggard after I had my second child when I’d just turned 33. That’s when I started a proper skin care routine and my skin is definitely brighter for it. I have combination skin, my forehead is fine and I don’t really have any lines around my eyes but I’m starting to get pretty bad nasolabial folds and am considering a bit of filler to soften them.

Body isn’t too bad, weigh the same as I did pre kids but I have to be a bit more careful watching what I eat these days.

Please
or

clutterbegone · 25/01/2023 15:29

I think the first sign for me was some fine lines around my eyes and the odd grey round about 30. The lines aren’t really any worse now that I’m in my early forties but I think I may be just starting to sag slightly around the jaw area. I think I’d rather have lines tbh as I wouldn’t be averse to trying a bit of Botox but don’t think it would do much for me! Whereas I used to dye my hair for fun, these days it’s very much about covering the greys. On the plus side, I’d say I look better overall in some ways than in my early thirties, when pregnancy hormone changes and then sleepless nights with a baby/toddler really took their toll. I’ve got a bit more time to eat properly, and take care over my skin routine etc which I think helps.

Please
or

5128gap · 25/01/2023 17:06

11s emerged at about 30.
No real change then until 42 when I developed slight joweling, and changes to skin texture, dark patches from sun damage, large pores on chin and nose and a bit of a turkey neck. Coincided with a period when I was stressed and exhausted, ate rubbish, was overweight, and didn't bother with myself.
Now 53 and have pretty much reversed all of that due to skin care, weight loss, great diet and sleep, plus a little botox and cheek filler, and actually look younger now than I did then.
New issue in 50s is appearance of crows feet, but only when I smile, so I'm not fussed about that. DS has them too and he's not 30 yet.

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 25/01/2023 17:22

Like a PP, I looked my best in my mid 30's.
The ageing started around mid 40's.
It isn't just skin though. Your chin recedes and nose cartilage continues to grow slightly as you age. Bones, including skull decrease in density... Shall I go on? 😂

Please
or

MintyFreshOne · 25/01/2023 17:56

I definitely look bad when I’ve stayed up too late or go out drinking—you don’t recover as well.

I think my neck is the tell though, not much I can do to prevent anything there

Please
or

toooldtochange · 25/01/2023 18:24

I had my children early 30s and put on a bit of weight then deliberately lost all the weight mid/late 30s which I felt left me looking older.

My hair started to go grey late 20s which is really noticeable with dark brunette and has excelerated now at 39.
Not looking forward to my 40s

Please
or

EffortlessDesmond · 25/01/2023 20:08

I looked extremely young until I was well into my 30s, had my only child at 43, and am now post-meno at 66. I have health flags but most people still seem to think I am 50-something.

Please
or