Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdressers: Nan uncomfortable at basin?

verdantverdure · 23/09/2022 12:09

Can anyone help?

My Nan tried a different hairdressers for her shampoo and set and she was horribly uncomfortable when they were washing her hair.

She said she had to scoot down so that her bum was right on the edge of the seat, she felt that all her weight was on her neck, and the back of her cardigan was all wet. Other than this they did a good job and at half the price of her usual place.

What was the problem do we think? My hairdressers neck bit is adjustable and I've never had anything like this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AnchorWHAT · 23/09/2022 12:13

They clearly had the angle of the basin wrong, she should have said it was not comfortable so they could adjust it and make sure she had towel round her neck . There is sometimes an option for a front wash if they have the sink for it. Such a shame that her treat was spoiled like this .

Please
or

Owlsinmybedroom · 23/09/2022 12:47

My mum has arthritis in her neck, she has done one of a few solutions:

Gone to the hairdressers straight from the shower (obv only if you live close, the hairdresser doesn't normally have a long wait and you have spoken to them first)

Gone to hairdressers with front wash basins

Now she just has a hairdresser come to her house and so she has had a shower before they arrive

Its likely is she hasn't had this issue before that they had it set up all wrong, but on the other hand if she is getting elderly it might just be that this has also become uncomfortable for her

Please
or

verdantverdure · 23/09/2022 13:01

My Nan has a dodgy shoulder which is why she goes weekly to get her hair washed and set, but she doesn't have an issue at her usual place. She said she doesn't think the basins were adjustable and that she was too tall or too short necked for them. Does that make sense to anybody? She said by the time she had scooted down low enough to be able to get her shoulders under the neck bit her bum was almost off the seat.

OP's posts:
Please
or

woodhill · 23/09/2022 13:07

Sounds awful, some wash basins have a cushion neck rest which helps and they should have checked she was comfortable before they washed her hair

Please
or

Incrediblebuttrue · 23/09/2022 13:07

I get this all the time as I am tall and the sinks are generally too low. It can even (albeit rarely) cause a stroke! www.bbc.com/news/health-38287938

Please
or

verdantverdure · 23/09/2022 13:31

Incrediblebuttrue · 23/09/2022 13:07

I get this all the time as I am tall and the sinks are generally too low. It can even (albeit rarely) cause a stroke! www.bbc.com/news/health-38287938

OMG Nan is not going to be going back there is she?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Incrediblebuttrue · 23/09/2022 15:07

But it could happen anywhere! She needs to tell them if she is uncomfy and change position, not put up with it.

Please
or

DobbyTheHouseElk · 23/09/2022 15:23

They should have a bolster cushion for her to sit on so she’s not slumped.

Please
or

verdantverdure · 23/09/2022 15:45

Incrediblebuttrue · 23/09/2022 15:07

But it could happen anywhere! She needs to tell them if she is uncomfy and change position, not put up with it.

But it doesn't happen at her usual place or at the place she goes to when she's staying with my parents. She says it's never happened before.

I'm just trying to work out if it's fixable because she's worried about money and this place is cheaper.

I can't work out what the problem is. She said other people didn't look uncomfortable whereas she was gripping the arm rests trying to hold herself up to take pressure off her neck.

I'm going to have to book an appointment, drive 35 miles and go and try it for myself aren't I? I'm about six inches taller than my Nan though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CherryRipe1 · 23/09/2022 15:49

I was a Saturday girl in a salon. A client had a stroke after a shampoo and set and the salon had backwashes. The poor woman was having her comb-out (big hair back-combing) fell off her chair and was taken away in an ambulance.

Please
or

Scarecrowrowboat · 23/09/2022 15:53

I cut my own hair now but yes I found it was like that at every hairdresser I ever went to. Always had a massive migraine by the time I left.

Please
or

ChocHotolate · 23/09/2022 15:54

CherryRipe1 · 23/09/2022 15:49

I was a Saturday girl in a salon. A client had a stroke after a shampoo and set and the salon had backwashes. The poor woman was having her comb-out (big hair back-combing) fell off her chair and was taken away in an ambulance.

This is not unheard of in elderly women (because men don't have their hair washed in the same way). If there is a plaque build up in the coronary arteries (often unknown), sitting with the head tipped backwards can trigger a stroke.
Ideally older people should have their hair washed while leaning forward not backwards

Please
or

CherryRipe1 · 23/09/2022 18:23

@ChocHotolate Thanks for the information. Awful.

Please
or

DobbyTheHouseElk · 23/09/2022 21:08

She’s too low down, she needs to be higher. Disclaimer: I work in a hair salon, but I’m not a hairdresser.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?