Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Limp, lifeless hair

NoteorNot45 · 19/09/2022 21:19

Hi all
Any thoughts on how to help to limp, flat, lifeless hair? I'm mid 40s, seem to have lost a fair bit of hair, now no volume and it seems to need a brush all the time? As if it won't all sit nicely even after hairspray.

I am wearing it up a lot but don't want to be stuck with that. Also, it gives me a headache.

I tried an Elvive volumising shampoo, noluck. Does caffeine shampoo help? Or a posh brand like Kerastase?

Interested to hear all tips and tricks. I have noticed the texture of my hair seems better when I colour it but I don't want to keep doing that.

is it genetic? My best mate is 52 and still has long thick hair.

Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 20/09/2022 10:44

Just giving this a bump.

OP's posts:
Please
or

wincarwoo · 20/09/2022 10:54

I use a mousse Kristin Ess can get it in Boots. Really helps my fine limp hair!

Please
or

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 20/09/2022 11:44

I find volumising powders like Dust It are great for giving flat hair a bit of oomph. They have a tacky texture and can take a bit of getting used to in terms of knowing how much product to add and where, but they give great root lift that lasts.

In terms of trying to restore your hair to its former glory, I think a lot of women experience hair loss during menopause. May be worth speaking to a trichologist? Or checking your ferritin levels. Ferritin needs to be at a level of 70 and above for healthy hair growth.

Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 20/09/2022 13:07

Sorry, I should have said

I have tried all sorts including mousse and powder but I haven't tried these particular brands so adding to the list, thank you. I also tried Percy & Reed volumisomg shampoo. Really helped for a while but then stopped.

My health is good, def not ferritin. Hairdressers tells me it's normal hair for my age and my mother and auntie followed the same pattern.

they mostly wear their hair up and have it relatively short. I would love to have mine Kate Middleton length. Reluctantly got it cut to just past my shoulders but not sure if that's helped much.

i feel as if I need a shampoo and set equivalent like my nan had! I wonder how long a hairdresser blow dry would last if I didn't tie my hair back for the gym?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mscampbell · 20/09/2022 20:42

Kate Middleton has hair extensions so you could try those?
Unfortunately It's incredibly unusual to have thick and long hair when you are 40s plus, unless you are genetically blessed or have a wig/hair piece/extensions.
I'd love long hair again, but it's just too fine and too thin these days and I wouldn't have the money or the patience for hair extensions so my hair is above my shoulders these days.

Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 20/09/2022 20:54

ah, that's interesting re Kate
tbh I often look at women in my age group who have amazing hair and wonder if it's all real!

OP's posts:
Please
or

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 21/09/2022 20:57

I don't think volumising shampoo/conditioner are very helpful unless you also use a thickening spray. I like John Frieda Volume Lift Root Booster or Tigi Bed Head Queen for a Day. Apply masses! Philip Kingsley products are very good too, though more expensive. Then blowdry your hair.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of a curling wand, just to give a bit of movement and body. Depending on your hair colour, highlights work miracles to thicken the hair shaft.

I have been fighting hair loss for years via Minoxidil, all the above, and a very good hairdresser. People often compliment me on my hair and sometimes describe it as thick. It really isn't!

Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 21/09/2022 23:34

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 21/09/2022 20:57

I don't think volumising shampoo/conditioner are very helpful unless you also use a thickening spray. I like John Frieda Volume Lift Root Booster or Tigi Bed Head Queen for a Day. Apply masses! Philip Kingsley products are very good too, though more expensive. Then blowdry your hair.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of a curling wand, just to give a bit of movement and body. Depending on your hair colour, highlights work miracles to thicken the hair shaft.

I have been fighting hair loss for years via Minoxidil, all the above, and a very good hairdresser. People often compliment me on my hair and sometimes describe it as thick. It really isn't!

Thanks
did you speak to your doctor?

I think my hair has probably got thinner over the years but I'm not sure it warrants a medical treatment? Also, I hear a lot of people say Rogaine etc irritates their scalp - bound to happen to me.

will get some JF spray but also...practiced backcombing this evening. I seem to have got the knack and it's helping.

philip kingsley seems to have good reviews but so does the JF range so I will see how things go, thanks. I don't own curling tongs but might try tht out.

I actually fancy highlights. I had them in my 20s but my hair grew so fast, it was a pain and expensive. Now my hair doesn't grow so fast, it might be worth a go if the roots don't need doing so often.

OP's posts:
Please
or

QueenWenceslas · 22/09/2022 09:32

I was also coming on to recommend the Tigi Queen For A Day spray. A spritz of that does wonders for giving your hair a bit of a lift at the roots.

Please
or

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 22/09/2022 11:01

NoteorNot45

I did speak to my doctor but also paid to see Dr David Fenton, top dermatologist, who organised lots of blood tests for me. He has an NHS clinic at Guy's and St Thomas's, but I'm out of area for that. He wasn't at all money grabbing and suggested I get my GP to do all the tests for free, except a couple they wouldn't be able to do, which his lab did. Variously nutritional deficiencies showed up - or at least, I wasn't getting enough of those nutrients to benefit the hair, so I now take supplements. My hair loss is hereditary, so I know I have to live with it to a degree but Dr Fenton has certainly helped me retain a lot more than I would have otherwise (judging by what happened to my mother).

Regaine liquid does irritate the scalp for a lot of people. The foam doesn't, but it's messy to apply. So I put the appropriate amount of foam into the cap and briefly stand the cap in hot water in the sink to melt it. Then I apply it with a dropper, as per the liquid Regaine.

Highlights make a big difference! I think you need to go to a decent hairdresser who will put plenty in.

Please
or

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 22/09/2022 11:02

OP, it does sound more as if you're just undergoing the sort of thinning that comes with age though, rather than hair loss as such, so I'm sure thickeners/highlights etc will help a lot.

Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 22/09/2022 11:49

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 22/09/2022 11:02

OP, it does sound more as if you're just undergoing the sort of thinning that comes with age though, rather than hair loss as such, so I'm sure thickeners/highlights etc will help a lot.

Yes, I was looking up prices this morning. Think I'll go for that. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 23/09/2022 11:32

I was thinking about highlights, before I chat to the hairdresser.

I have some greys at the very frint, around my cheeks sort of. I dye them myself. Should i ask the hairdresser to dye them dark at the same time, and will they charge extra? Or should I keep dyeing them at home?

I am looking at wowcher as my usual hairdresser is more expensive for this, also it's a journey to her and highlights seem to mean sitting in a chair for quite a while?

OP's posts:
Please
or

caramelsauce · 24/09/2022 07:23

If you’re thinking about highlights I would recommend having 3 colours as this adds dimensions and gives the illusion of thicker hair. You need dark, medium and light. So your natural hair could be the dark then ask the hair dresser for a combination of highlights and lowlights. You can also ask for a root melt as this adds more dimension and also makes it low maintenance. I also recommend the Grow Gorgeous Intense Thickening Hair and Scalp Mask to use once a week.

Please
or

NoteorNot45 · 24/09/2022 14:03

Thanks Caramel
I haven't actually made any enquiries yet, but will a combo make it more expensive?

I tried the John Frieda Spray. It's not for me, it has made my hair feel crunchy and tacky. It might be less hassle to go for a smooth sleek look.

OP's posts:
Please
or

caramelsauce · 24/09/2022 16:17

No in my experience having highlights and lowlights is the same price as just having highlights

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?