Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Advent Calendars

KermitlovesKeyLimePie · 22/08/2022 09:57

Hi all,

I know there is a thread running currently about this years calendars and from that they seem to be as popular as ever.

I was just wondering whether with the cost of living crisis etc, that maybe now they have had their day?

Interested to hear whether you will be buying this year or not?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PanicAtTheBigTesco · 22/08/2022 10:00

I'm still going to buy one and have been setting some money aside for the last couple of months so I can get one. I have such a stash of things from advent calendars/GWP's I rarely have to buy any beauty products apart from SPF every 12 weeks so I think they save me money in the long run, I was probably spending £50 a month on cult beauty previously!

Please
or

JessSimba · 18/09/2022 17:17

We just bought this one:

www.somethingprettyplants.com/product-page/garden-seed-advent-calendar

Good value for money and something to use all throughout 2023.

Please
or

Flamingmentalcats · 18/09/2022 17:38

Thanks for that link Jess, I think I will get that for my mum for Christmas and she can use it in January instead

Please
or

GettingStuffed · 18/09/2022 19:54

I'm not, but wavering. I'm currently caring for MiL and it's a bit stressful at times, she has dementia, so I'm sort of thinking it would be a nice reward. I'm also trying to get one for MiL but it won't be beauty based

Please
or

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 18/09/2022 20:41

I'm not. I'm going to give myself half what I normally spend on one and just buy some gorgeous products I love

Please
or

JessSimba · 23/09/2022 19:48

So glad you liked the idea. I hope your mum enjoys it as much as we did!

Please
or

IloveJudgeJudy · 23/09/2022 20:01

I'm not this year unless I waver when I see the M&S one in person and fall in love with it.

Please
or

limitededitionbarbie · 23/09/2022 21:23

Thank you for that link I'm going to get my dad that

Please
or

YorkieTheRabbit · 23/09/2022 23:08

Ooh I like the look of the seed calendar, I might get one for January.
I think I’m going for the M&S beauty one this year. I’ve not had one of theirs for a few years, last year I got one from Next and the year before was Look Fantastic. Financially it’s not a problem it’s just that I tend to not use all of the stuff so it’s a bit of a waste.
Flower seeds will definitely be used 😊

Please
or

KermitlovesKeyLimePie · 24/09/2022 00:24

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to reply.

I must admit that I am wavering a bit after telling myself a firm "No" after going a bit bonkers in previous years. (Lush, Fortnum's, Liberty & H&B last year😳)

We have got a big holiday coming up to the USA in January for DH's 50th and with the $$$$ rate now being so utterly dire, buying an advent calendar seems a bit spendthrift!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Habreathmint · 24/09/2022 00:38

I'm not. I got 5 last year and still have plenty of things to use. I'm going to just get the things I like when there's a good gwp. Most of the things in a gwp are advent calendar things. I also get the Liberty beauty drop so I think I have enough! Theyilist the novelty for me and I'd rather save my money while things are so unstable now.

Please
or

LookdeepintotheParka · 24/09/2022 07:58

I love beauty advent calendars but dithering about which one to go for! Some seem much better value than others after seeing in the contents lots of tiny samples this year.

I've felt disappointed with Rituals and H&B calendars over the last couple of years but M&S has always been good value and mostly a good range of products.

In terms of justifying the spend, it's my main indulgence as we always have a low key Christmas and don't go overboard with our spending!

Please
or

user1471464218 · 24/09/2022 11:09

I'm still going to get myself one. I'm at the m&s or h&b end of the market.

Please
or

redroses86 · 24/09/2022 16:37

I’ve been planning all year to get myself one of the big ones. I’ve been setting money aside.
But looking at all the contents has made me picky. There’s bits in each one that I know I wouldn’t use. So then it seems silly to pay so much if there’s already things I don’t want.
think I might just use the money to treat myself to some of the ‘holiday’ collection things. Hourglass and Charlotte Tilbury usually do something nice.

Please
or

PuddlesOnFire · 24/09/2022 16:41

We've bought an Exit the Room advent calendar. Each day we have to solve a puzzle and advance the ongoing story. We did it last year and had a fantastic time with it. I'd thoroughly recommend.

Please
or

Ponks · 24/09/2022 17:37

That Exit advent calendar sounds brilliant, going to get one!

Please
or

PuddlesOnFire · 24/09/2022 17:40

Ponks · 24/09/2022 17:37

That Exit advent calendar sounds brilliant, going to get one!

It was. Last year we got the one set on a ski resort, this year we've got " the hunt for the golden book", which is supposed to be better. Cost £30, but really enjoyable and added to Christmas.

Please
or

Isabelle70 · 25/09/2022 07:25

I have my beauty drop money earmarked for the liberty one, never had a high end one before so looking forward to it.
But wondering if I need a make up only one and have been looking at Mac. Or I have been thinking of using that cash and buying a couple of gift sets instead of items that I do like and want...

Please
or

Ccoffee · 25/09/2022 07:34

I'm getting one, I didn't get one last year so feel justified. I've not started looking at what's available though yet.

Please
or

Boppertini · 25/09/2022 07:49

I’ve been going back and forth on it but finally decided it wasn’t worth it this year. Similar to PP, I was scrutinising the calendars more than I have previously and it just didn’t feel worth it compared to buying one or two products I know make a bigger difference to my skin.
I’ve re-evaluated a lot of my spending lately after buying a few unnecessary things and going to be taking a different approach where I try to donate/sell things I don’t use and clear some space instead.
The escape the room calendar sounds brilliant tho, I might suggest it to my husband!

Please
or

Ccoffee · 25/09/2022 10:32

Hmmm just had a look through about 8 of them, I'm yet to see one that would be worth if for me, too many things I don't use (lipstick, lipgloss, powder, facial mists, still trying to use up multiple body scrubs from previous calendars). Plus I wouldn't spend over £150 so that rules a lot out. The closest of interest was Look Fantastic.

I'll have a look at No7 when they say what the contents are.

Please
or

FredaFox · 25/09/2022 10:34

I've bought Selfridges this week though I had vouchers for my recent birthday which covered half of it
I'll still get another for January, the last few years it's been enjoyable opening one in the miserable month. Will be a cheaper one though, had asos last year so hoping they will have a good discount soon

Please
or

JustWhatIAlwaysWanted · 25/09/2022 10:45

I've cut my beauty buying right down this year, but really enjoy having a calendar so I will still do that. Genuinely undecided though as the M&S contents are not exciting me this time - usually it's a must have but there are a few too many things I'm not keen on. I'm going to look at possible contenders again.

Please
or

KermitlovesKeyLimePie · 25/09/2022 12:16

Again, Thanks for all your replies.

Not AIBU so no vote option but judging by the comments it seems to be about 50-50 so far.

As well as the money factor I think AC fatigue seems to be an issue for some and it certainly is in my case.

Quite a few have posted that the contents in many of them are nothing to get too excited about and just a slight variation on previous years.

I've definitely decided against now and, will also not be getting one to be opened in the dark days of January either .(as I usually do) as we have our trip for DH's 50th at the end of that month so will count down and look forward to that instead.

OP's posts:
Please
or

redredwineub40 · 25/09/2022 12:53

I keep wavering - partly feel someone pointed out they're good if you're new to a particular brand or group of brands but if you've had space nk, f&m, M&S, Liberty etc once then the contents are not a huge year on year variation. And you could buy full size items of the things you really like rather than all the filler.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?