Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How do you style your long hair?

RockAndRollerskate · 05/08/2022 20:03

Ok according to a thread on here a few weeks ago, it’s incredibly unfashionable to have long hair, but it took me years to grow and I really like it.

I occasionally plait, but mostly wear it in a half ponytail. What do you do if you have long hair?

Its now hip length, very thick and I wear it both naturally curly and straightened.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SammySueTwo · 05/08/2022 20:12

Bun all the time. Mine’s a fair bit longer than yours and it gets everywhere even in a plait. I suspect I’m terribly unfashionable though and look like granny.

Please
or

CorpusCallosum · 05/08/2022 20:15

Mines not so long as yours but it's in a mum bun most of the time. I like it in 2 French plaits though and try to do that for sport

Please
or

RockAndRollerskate · 05/08/2022 20:26

Ridiculous question - how do you bun it all day without it hurting? Mine seems to pull on my scalp

OP's posts:
Please
or

SammySueTwo · 05/08/2022 20:38

plait first , then nautilus bun and I use a hair fork which distributes the weight evenly. I can also manage it with a couple of hair sticks. Hairbands/ clips don’t work as well with long hair.

Please
or

Whippetquick · 05/08/2022 20:38

Mines middle/ lower back past armpit thick and coarse. I wear mine tied back for work. Bun not really it's too thick and heavy and makes my scalp sore. Half up and usually down if I go out in the evening. Its wavy and wild like a mane lol

Please
or

Whippetquick · 05/08/2022 20:40

Actually I'm finding it hard to cope with now its so thick, thinking about cutting it but I always get nice comments on it

Please
or

TheVolturi · 05/08/2022 20:48

Either loose plait or ponytail worn to the front over my shoulder. Or I wear it down but still tend to pull it over to one side not sure why!

Please
or

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 05/08/2022 21:09

I have it down with a messy bun half and half if that makes sense.

I do a high pony with a pony-o hair band

Messy bun

Fishtail side plait

Those are mainly the only styles but I do switch between wavy, crimped and straight

Please
or

Shehasadiamondinthesky · 05/08/2022 21:16

I'm 60 with waist length hair and I have to have it up for NHS work everyday so I wear it down or in a ponytail.
Buns on top of the head should incur a severe penalty of having your head shaved. You are not Mo from eastenders.
Buns at the back I fasten with large claw grips. Pins are painful and make the bun too tight and painful.
Plait then bun and you get a nice pattern.

Please
or

yonce · 05/08/2022 21:17

Mines halfway down my back, I tend to wear it down and curled with the two sections at my temple clipped back with butterfly clips so it's off my face 😊

Please
or

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 05/08/2022 21:18

Buns on top of the head should incur a severe penalty of having your head shaved. You are not Mo from eastenders.

What? 😆 I don't look like Mo from Eastenders that's hilarious

Please
or

RagingWoke · 05/08/2022 21:27

Mid back length and curly, I wear it just loose most of the time. I have a decent enough hair care routine for the weekly wash, so cleanse, condition, deep condition, gel, anti frizz serum and then diffuse, sleep in a silk cap at night.

It keeps it looking good until the next wash, if it starts looking a bit scruffy a messy bun, pony tail, braids or crocodile clip does the job.

Please
or

Whippetquick · 05/08/2022 21:44

I can't plait I'm useless low side ponytail is quite nice

Please
or

Mamapep · 06/08/2022 08:44

I’d say long hair was very fashionable.

Mine’s halfway down my back. I wear it down if I’m going out. In a loose bun/plait during the day.
Always a middle part.
If it needs to be very formal I slick it back into a tight low chignon.

Please
or

Dalekjastninerels · 06/08/2022 09:57

I used to have really long hair until 2019, anyway to cut a long story short I wore it up always; I had visions of lovely mermaid hair when I decided to grow it; in reality I looked like the first Mrs Rochester when it was down. I had to braid it at night or I would lie on it and pull it.

So I got it cut to shoulder length.💇

It is currently just above shoulder length and I can still tie it up if I want; but can also wear it down too.

Please
or

Whippetquick · 06/08/2022 12:01

Dale I have to tie mine up for night or it matts un derneath

Mines tied back most of the time NHS worker plus in this weather its so thick its like a bloody scarf.

Thinking about going shorter

Please
or

Dalekjastninerels · 06/08/2022 13:32

Whippetquick · 06/08/2022 12:01

Dale I have to tie mine up for night or it matts un derneath

Mines tied back most of the time NHS worker plus in this weather its so thick its like a bloody scarf.

Thinking about going shorter

Do it :)

I haven't looked back since.

Mine used to get all matted underneath as well.

No regrets here.

Please
or

Dalekjastninerels · 06/08/2022 13:34

Also work in Disability Care so have to clean people - let's just say ponytail is not good, so had to bun all the time at work.

Now I can wear lots of hairstyles including down.

Please
or

CorpusCallosum · 06/08/2022 22:12

RockAndRollerskate · 05/08/2022 20:26

Ridiculous question - how do you bun it all day without it hurting? Mine seems to pull on my scalp

www.accessorize.com/uk/mini-claw-clip-set-4860323200.html

I use this size of claw clip and that's it. Put hair into bun, tuck ends in, fix clip somewhere along the top edge and it secures it really well. It never seems as heavy as securing with a bobble.

I usually end up taking my hair up/down a few times a day though. It's up if I'm busy, hot, whatever. But, I can have it down if I like and it's all wavy and pretty from the bun 😊 Equally you can clip back just a fringe section or go half up half down, and they don't leave a kink in your hair from a ponytail or look awful like those telephone cord bobbles.

When not in my hair I clip them to my collar and bag straps, leave them in the car, bathroom, by my bed. I usually have about 6-8 on the go so there's always one to hand. I just love these clips 😂

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.