Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Planning on selling/getting rid of my whole wardrobe. Anyone else ever done this?

JunieBabes · 05/08/2022 17:58

Honestly, I've got wardrobes full of stuff I never wear as it doesn't fit, doesn't suit my lifestyle or is no longer my style. So I've decided to spend the next few months selling as much as possible and donating the rest to charity shops and basically starting afresh.

I like minimal, French-style clothing so I'm literally going to have a small wardrobe of stuff I really love. Hopefully.

Anyone else done/doing this? Any tips?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDarrellRivers · 05/08/2022 20:33

I did! I lost a lot of weight, so needed all new clothes.
I sorted out my chosen colour palette, and really refined my personal style. I made a Pinterest board to help keep me focused.
most of my purchases have been from Vinted. I have been able to buy beautiful, well made clothes at a fraction of the price.
Have fun!

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 05/08/2022 20:45

Not sure if this counts

I didn't buy any new clothes for literally years and years.

It was looking really shabby and awful. So I made a plan and a budget and bought new. But...I did this at 45, overweight and all very casual indeed. No skirts or dresses.

Not sure I have any tips really. It was a project that involved spending a lot of spare time online, over about a fortnight.

I mostly used Zalando as they have lots of brands and 90 day returns.

I also have a sort of toning palette for basics like T shirts. So a dark red T shirt, I have the lighter version, and the lightest version....and a layering piece that goes on top of any of those three. Wardrobe now organised by colour so very easy to pick stuff out.

I bought more than I needed because I didn't want to have to shop again for years! I have one occasion outfit and that's it, but I don't like dressy events.

If I actually lose weight, it's going to be a problem. But I would happily rebuy similar stuff three sizes down...though learning to a use a sewing machine would be better.

Please
or

dancingqueen345 · 05/08/2022 20:49

I love the idea of this. I'm currently pregnant and keep moving clothes that don't fit me anymore out of the wardrobe and into boxes and I'm so tempted to just bin the boxes because me in however long it'll be until they fit me again won't remember what was there anyway!!

In fact I might take this post as a sign to do this tomorrow!!

Please
or

whatatanker · 05/08/2022 20:54

Yes! I'm in the process of doing this at the moment.

I feel like my life now doesn't fit my wardrobe (now working from home and really don't need a professional wardrobe any more). Time for a major change. It's exciting (at least I think it is!)

Please
or

CheshireSplat · 05/08/2022 20:59

I haven't done it but this sounds amazing! (I might keep a couple favourites.)

Please
or

Nothappyatwork · 05/08/2022 21:48

The only thing I would say this is the secondhand clothes do not sell for very much at all is there no way you can re-use some of this stuff ?
I am emigrated and I had literally £40k’s worth of clothes at least end up at the charity shops because nobody wanted it.

Please
or

LondonLovie · 05/08/2022 22:00

Oh this is my dream. I would wear only Sezane, Whistle, Joseph and Theory clothes and have only about 25 -30 items max!

Honestly, I wear so very little of my clothes and I have 2 double wardrobes worth of things. I've just chucked away half my jumpers, next is dresses. I need to feel comfortable, I hate being restricted in clothes. But to do it I want a few, really nice items.

Please
or

TheOriginalMrsMoss · 05/08/2022 22:40

I've just done this after losing quite a bit of weight. I'm 2-3 sizes smaller so everything had to go. It's too expensive to replace everything for each size drop so I have a small capsule wardrobe.

I really looked carefully at what I wore regularly and have just replaced that. All the clothes that I hung on to just because I loved them rather than wore them are going, going, gone. It's very liberating.

I'm not at my final size/shape but when I finally get there I'll buy some more expensive items. There's a pair of Raey jeans I love but will wait until Autumn before I buy them.

Please
or

MaryB90 · 05/08/2022 23:08

Yes I'm still in the process of doing this as pretty much none of my old clothes fit me anymore after I've had a baby.
I started by clearing out my warderobe of items I've bought but never worn, then items that I'd never wear again such as clubbing clothes/going out clothes and my old corporate work wear as I'm wfh permanently now.
I've then sold most on Vinted and the clothes that did not sell I donated. Then I bought some new pieces from the money I made so I had clothes that actually fit me and that I liked.
After that I cleared out the rest of my warderobe, so OK stuff that I've been wearing but didn't like anymore etc...
Some clothes I've tweaked on my sewing machine and kept.
I've still got bags of clothes that I will try and sell mostly in Vinted, but if they don't go I will donate.
I've been buying new clothes in charity shops, Vinted and discount shops.
The only thing with buying on Vinted is you can't return, so if you don't like something you ordered...
All this is very time consuming but I now have a warderobe of stuff tjay I actually wear, only a few quality pieces that I love.

Please
or

felulageller · 05/08/2022 23:21

I did it. Donated almost everything to charity and bought whatever I fancied from charity shops for a year.

Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 06/08/2022 06:31

I did it many years ago after losing weight. At the same time I treated myself to colour and style days to make a fresh start following my divorce.
Absolutely the best thing I have ever done.
A lot of my stuff was the right style but wrong colours .
Such a cathartic and uplifting experience.

Please
or

anybloodyname · 06/08/2022 07:27

I did this a few years ago and then proceeded to refill my wardrobes with almost identical style clothes all over again
Have gained considerably in recent years and live out of a capsular wardrobe of about 8 items .. so depressing

Please
or

LeeMiller · 06/08/2022 07:31

I did/am still doing this post-baby and general lifestyle changes.

I spent a lot of time on Pinterest working out my style, outfit combinations, lifestyle needs, colour palette, prints and silhouettes (Kibbe) that work for me. In my case it’s a variation of “French girl” style (rathe than the more classic French look). So lots of denim, fitted tees, silk shirts with camisoles, chunky knits, patterned silk midi/maxi skirts and slip dresses. A restricted winter palette so everything goes.

I sold a lot on Vinted/eBay, got other stuff repaired or tailored to fit properly. Selected a few key brands I love, saved searches on Vinted and sale notifications and have gradually replaced everything. Before buying I consult my wishlist and mood boards to stop random impulse purchases that don’t work with anything else.

I now have fewer clothes but it’s stuff I love, better quality and fabrics, and much more cohesive so planning outfits is easier and no longer frustrating.

Please
or

MadameSapphire · 06/08/2022 13:16

Great thread, thanks OP! @LeeMiller, your style sounds amazing 😍 - any chance you would be willing to share some of your mood boards, images for inspiration, colour palette, etc.? TIA. x

Please
or

LeeMiller · 06/08/2022 17:30

Thanks @MadameSapphire I wouldnt know where to start with sharing moodboards across platforms but for inspiration they feature a lot of Jane Birkin, Françoise Hardy, Jeanne Damas, Elisabeth Mory, Kate Moss, Isabelle Hupert, Carolyn Besette, Sabina Socol, Thandie Newton. I like 60s/70s silhouettes, small and fairly classic prints (floral, dots, animal etc), and a winter colour palette (lots of black paired with red, emerald green, bluey-purple, white, navy). Im very petite (gamine type in Kibbe) and suit simple, slim-fitting, tailored clothes. Anything architectural/ androgynous/ puffy or voluminous/ too funky looks absurd on me. Instead Im aiming for simple, minimalist cuts in luxe fabrics, but with some bohemian flair to satify my magpie side and avoid blandness - a bit of embroidery or embellishment, a beautiful print, some silk/velvet/fake fur.

Its not at all original (type "French girl style" into pinterest and you get plenty of ideas) but its practical, easy, and, for me, flattering. My favourite brands are Rouje, Realisation Par and Sezane but I also like Other stories, Ba&sh, Rixo, Petite Mendigote, Comptoir des cotonniers, La Redoute etc. Hope that helps (and apologies for the lack of apostrophes - keyboard issues).

Please
or

Wardrobemalfunction22 · 06/08/2022 18:28

I have been contemplating the exact same thing too, I just haven't got the guts to do it yet. What are the best places to sell clothes? I've spent £££ over the years and find it hard to let go of things when they were expensive buys.

Please
or

MadameSapphire · 07/08/2022 15:08

@LeeMiller, thank you - this is great info! I think I’m drawn to your post/s because my style has always been anchored in a similar aesthetic (although I’ve sometimes temporarily diverted from this and my ‘bohemian flair’ probably weighs in a little heavier), IYSWIM?!

I’m actually about to make my first ever Sezane purchase - any advice on sizing/do things come up big or small? Im a size 8 but sometimes can be a 6. 😊

Please
or

WildOnce · 07/08/2022 15:29

I’m in the process of doing this. Had bags and bags of clothes from my 20s, pre kids and when I worked 5 days in a London office.

At 34 with two kids and wfh none of it was getting worn! I’m slowly but surely selling bits on Vinted, giving the stuff that won’t sell to charity and living in my usual jeans and T-shirt until it’s all gone and I can plan what to buy. It’s exciting and liberating. Also wearing a lot less make up these days so a big shift for me!

Please
or

LeeMiller · 07/08/2022 16:41

@MadameSapphire Glad to be of help! It’s an aesthetic I’ve loved for years too but it took me a while to work out how to adapt it for my 40s and a different lifestyle.
I also take a 6 or 8 depending on the brand. I find Sezane more generously sized than some other French brands but it depends on the item. I take an XS in more fitted stuff like tanks, tshirts, knit dresses and shirts, and an xxs for jackets and knitwear (and even then it’s often too big). What are you ordering?

Please
or

LeeMiller · 07/08/2022 16:47

@Wardrobemalfunction22 if it’s designer or higher end you can get better prices on Vestaire Collective, even though the fees are higher than Vinted, Depop, eBay. I like Vinted for ease, but I wouldn’t expect high prices unless it’s a desirable item or brand at the moment. Brand-specific Facebook groups are also worth a try.

Please
or

Wardrobemalfunction22 · 07/08/2022 17:46

Thanks @LeeMiller I'll check it out. Mostly high street like Reiss, Whistles, Hobbs rather than Chanel or Gucci but still lots of ££ over the years!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.