Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Swimsuit - tall, busty, not thin.

SirVixofVixHall · 05/08/2022 14:57

I post about this every year in hope .. so I am tallish, I have a long ribcage - the measurement guide on sites that do long bodied suits usually put me on the cusp, but normal suits are often too short between bust and waist.
I am busty, with a small back. My tummy is wrecked after two c sections and I have put weight on which has made it worse, so I like a bit of support. Seems easy to get a large cup size suit, or a tall one, or a tummy control one, but not all three, or even the first two.
I find tankinis ride up on me due to small ribs, and billow out when swimming. They also ruck up really annoyingly when I try to put my wetsuit on .
I feel a too chubby for a bikini.
Last year I tried Deakin and Blue, the suits were lovely, but in the Hendrix style for big cup sizes there was very little space between underbust and waist, so they were neither comfortable nor flattering on me at all, sadly. They seemed more to flatten the bust out over a larger area.
I am going to try Andie Swim but I am not convinced that they have enough bust room, and they don’t seem to have any tummy smoothing properties ? I have held off buying one as the duty will be hefty , so if the suit is no good for me that will cost me a lot.
I live in hope that one day the Holy Grail of swimming costumes will exist !

OP's posts:
Please
or

crochetmeahat · 05/08/2022 19:46

High waisted bikinis are the way forward

Please
or

crochetmeahat · 05/08/2022 19:48

Oh and size up for the bottoms so you don't get muffin top

Please
or

custardbear · 05/08/2022 19:50

I like Next tummy control which come in tall sizes - different colours available too

Please
or

custardbear · 05/08/2022 19:52

Please
or

chilliesandspices · 05/08/2022 21:06

I have no advice but lots of sympathy. I recently signed up for swimming lessons and bought swimsuits instead of my usual holiday bikini. At 5ft2 I feel like my Speedo swimsuit is trying to fold me in half (it's fine around me but doesn't seem to stretch from top to bottom). My Arena swimsuit which looks appropriate on the model gives me low cleavage and serious side boob so won't be appropriate for swimming (my nipples are just about covered). Actually, I do have some advice, avoid those two brands.

Please
or

abadgutfeeling · 05/08/2022 21:10

You are NOT too chubby for a bikini. To be frank, working in your body image might be easier than finding a well fitting swimsuit. A bikini will be much easier to fit.

I have a long body swimsuit from Boden but my body isn't that long, and I'm not that busty. May be worth trying a few styles from there though.

Please
or

MainliningChocolate · 05/08/2022 21:45

I'm 6ft1 with a F cup and second the previous poster about next tummy control ones. I size up one size and they fit well, never had any issues with lane swimming with them.

Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 06/08/2022 12:42

I do have a high waisted bikini as I like that style anyway, but feel very exposed. Also the wires dig in under a wetsuit. I know I shouldn’t care, I see all shapes and sizes of women on the beach and think they all look lovely but somehow can’t feel like that about myself, instead I feel horribly ashamed and embarrassed.
I will order a Next one in a couple of different sizes. I am a 28HH/30H bra. I have put on over a stone of podge in a shortish time, grief eating biscuits due to a traumatic death in the family.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Katiepoes · 06/08/2022 14:05

I am 5ft 10 and 34G, size 16 and have a Speedo suit I am really happy with, it's the Brigitte. I also have some from Next, one own brand and one from Seafolly, the Seafolly one is only okay though, the bum tends to sag a bit in seawater. For pool side lounging and just messing about the high waist bikinis are great, mine is from Marlies Dekkers (Dutch lingerie brand).

Please
or

FunnyTalks · 06/08/2022 14:58

I just got one from long tall sally that I love!

I usually do bra-sized swimwear (am 34 ff/g) but I'm a bit fed up of the overtly underwear-y style of them. I want to flatter my whole body, not necessarily shove my boobs out. My LTS suit has a shelf instead (and cups which I removed). It is surprisingly supportive and not too squished. I sized up.

Please
or

Calliana · 06/08/2022 15:09

Have you considered layering? My go-to approach is to buy separate bikini tops and bottoms that fit and support properly, and then a camisole-type tankini top to go over the top for coverage. The over the top one doesn't need to have support or anything so it's easier to find one that fits ok, and if I can't find a tankini one I like I just wear a stretchy nylon-type cami or singlet from the underwear or gymwear department instead.

Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 07/08/2022 00:32

Thanks for the other suggestions, I am going to order a couple.
I did used to do the layering thing , at least when I went to an aqua aerobics class years ago I wore a sports bra under a plain swimsuit - I had forgotten all about that. Maybe layering might work for swimming even if I can’t use it for under my wetsuit.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?