Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hair accessories

DelphiniumBlue · 04/08/2022 10:49

I'm not sure about hair accessories..
I'm a mature woman with shoulder length, slightly layered silvery grey hair that looks very nice down, but it's too hot at the moment, so I've been wearing it up in a bun.
Because it's layered, the bun isn't very big, and because on top of my head rather than lower down works best with my head shape, the hair elastic holding it in place is very visible.
Scrunchies feel a bit too eighties, although I might wear one if I could find something nice but subtle, claws look a bit weird on the top of my head. I need something that just improves the look a bit, that is quick and easy for everyday.
I thought I might find something in Anthropologie, but nothing there quite works. Has anyone got any suggestions/links they could recommend?

OP's posts:
Please
or

coconotgrove · 04/08/2022 11:17

Personally I find the hair accessories in Anthropologie a little too frou-frou, and overpriced for what they are.

(I’m 47 btw), and have long hair that is mostly tied up at the moment due to the heat. I don’t use hair elastics because my hair is thick and it tangles easily, rather than due to their visibility.

I use either a classic tortioseshell butterfly clip (I have a variety of sizes) and kirby grips to pin any stray hairs, or else very thin scrunchies in navy, black and white which I bought in Cos, & Other Stories and Arket. (Arket has a better selection instore.) I also have a black and white dogtooth check huge scrunchie, and a Chanel hair bobble which has a thin scrunchie covering the elastic. I wore scrunchies as a teen in the 80s, and have no issue wearing them now - I love that they’re back in the shops and are so easy to find.

Back when J. Crew had a store on Regent Street, I used to buy quite a few hair accessories there.

Please
or

coconotgrove · 04/08/2022 18:14

I stand corrected, Arket have lots online including the thin silk scrunchies I have

Please
or

DelphiniumBlue · 04/08/2022 22:23

coconotgrove thank you for the recommendations - I'm seriously considering the silver leather Arket scrunchy, just wondering if I'm brave enough for it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

coconotgrove · 05/08/2022 12:49

DelphiniumBlue · 04/08/2022 22:23

coconotgrove thank you for the recommendations - I'm seriously considering the silver leather Arket scrunchy, just wondering if I'm brave enough for it!

I don’t think it’s a question of being brave, you’ll get good wear out of a silver hair scrunchie because it’s a good neutral colour that will go with everything. If they have one in store, will buy it next time I find myself in there.

I actually have it in gold (purchased a few years ago). It is quite stiff but does soften over time.

Please
or

AnchorWHAT · 05/08/2022 13:36

There are also fake hair scrunchies that give a bit more volume to a small bun.

Please
or

WrinklesShminkles · 05/08/2022 15:54

Your hair sounds like mine. I've got a number of narrow Tegen barrettes that really help with keeping my hair off my neck but look quite classy (I like to think). They're expensive but very good quality.

tegenaccessories.co.uk/collections/fine-hair/products/narrow-bar-barrette

Please
or

DelphiniumBlue · 06/08/2022 11:51

WrinklesShminkles I'd forgotten about Tegen, I'll check them out.
coconotgrove I was worried that silver leather scrunchie was a bit too big and shiny and lairy, but I think I will go for it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

KalaniM · 06/08/2022 12:31

I use chopsticks. Hair chopsticks, wooden, from Etsy.

Please
or

DelphiniumBlue · 06/08/2022 13:39

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've ordered from Tegen and Arket!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.