Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can you knowledgable ladies help me advise my Dd about acrylic nails?

AintNoPartyLikeANumber10Party · 03/08/2022 16:38

After years of trying my DD(14) has stopped nail biting and grown some nails. She now wants ‘acrylics with a design’. But I don’t know anything about them. Can you advise?
She also does a contact sport so her nails need to be short. Is it possible to get short acrylics? Do they damage the nail bed? How do I find a good salon? What other advice have you got for me? Thanks.😀

OP's posts:
Please
or

SummaLuvin · 03/08/2022 18:00

Not a nail tech, nor an expert. Never had acrylics but have heard they can be quite damaging to the nail, not sure on length.

Maybe look into BIAB, it's a hard gel that can be used on natural nail, or acrylics, so can be as short as a persons nails already are.

Please
or

inmyslippers · 03/08/2022 18:01

I prefer builder, you just keep going back and having it added to new growth. Whereas acrylics you can only have soo many infills until you have to soak off and start again.

Please
or

MissPinkCakeyBun · 03/08/2022 18:02

Professional Gel Polish will give her colours and design that last around 3 weeks without additional length to get in the way of sports

Please
or

MissPinkCakeyBun · 03/08/2022 18:04

If they use a drill to do any of the work avoid like the plague as they will really damage the nails despite what some salons would like you to believe.
Personal recommendations is best if your happy to say roughly what area maybe others can suggest someone

Please
or

NiqueNique · 03/08/2022 18:06

I’d go for gel nails, personally. Much nicer IMO.

Please
or

faretheewell · 03/08/2022 19:53

She's only 14 so still at school. A lot won't allow anything fancy. A better option IMO would be temporary stick on nails which will easily come off for school/sports but that come in various designs.

Please
or
Please
or

LynetteScavo · 04/08/2022 11:59

I would suggest builder in a bottle, especially when she's at school as she can have a nude which really won't be noticed and her nails will continue to grow (Google some images) She can have them filed so they're an appropriate length for her sport. I pay £25 every 2-3 weeks.

My DD isn't allowed any nail varnish/acrylics etc at her part time job, so she has acrylics if she's on holiday for a couple of weeks and then we just soak them off at home. My DD goes for very intricate and pretty designs and then wonders why it's so £££££ Grin Her nails are very bitten so acrylics are a quick fix.

Please
or

xogossipgirlxo · 04/08/2022 14:59

Gel is better than acrylic.

Please
or

cherrypiepie · 04/08/2022 17:15

Agree gel nails with a pattern as the acrylic is an extension and is no good for sport.

Finding a good nail tech who is good at nail art is the key and recommendations are the best.

Google summer 2022 nail ideas/trends for all the ideas. Most of the teens round here seem to favour a totally white nail.

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 04/08/2022 17:52

Gel is acrylic. It’s all acrylic in different forms same as diamonds and charcoal are both carbon.

Please
or

Chocolatecoatedkettlebell · 04/08/2022 18:52

I’m an ex (sort of) nail biter and I’ve had acrylics, gels, SNS. They all require upkeep and they all cost quite a bit to maintain. They all damage the nail to some extent. At the end of three weeks even the shortest nails will be too long for sport too.
Can I suggest another alternative… nail stickers. I’ve started using Lilly and Fox and whilst they aren’t as hard as acrylics and gems etc they are firmer and stop me from nibbling. They also last a couple of weeks and can be filed.
there are loads of patterns and they are significantly cheaper than the other options

Please
or

AintNoPartyLikeANumber10Party · 05/08/2022 11:20

Thank you to everyone who has replied.😀

I probably should have explained better that although she needs short nails, she wants longer than her current natural length. Also we have holidays for another month so no problem with school or it not lasting over a month.

I think my takeaways are:
Acrylics might damage her nails but it’s not permanent.
Don’t let the nail tech use a drill.

I’m still not 100% sure whether hard gel might not be better. But it’s more £££ and her friend has acrylics so 🤷‍♀️

Thanks @Chocolatecoatedkettlebell for suggesting Lily and Fox - looks like a good option for short school holidays. Thinking of getting some as stocking fillers.

I’m interested in BIAB @LynetteScavo do you infill yourself or go to a salon?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlatWhiteExtraHot · 05/08/2022 13:18

Get her a set of Impress nails to try. If you do a bit of prep, they last a good two weeks and they look really effective.

They are press on gel effect nails and they don’t damage your own nails at all.

Please
or

memyselfi · 05/08/2022 15:25

How do you remove the press on nails ?
Do they peel off and is that taking a layer of nail with it?

Please
or

LynetteScavo · 05/08/2022 17:31

@AintNoPartyLikeANumber10Party With BIAB I go to the salon every three weeks. I find it a bit of a luxury, and would be too tight to pay for a 14yo to have their nails done every three weeks, but it's the only way I can have perfect, natural looking nails every day. After three weeks they are filed down quite a bit as I don't want them too long. It's amazing how fast nails can grow!

Please
or

FlatWhiteExtraHot · 05/08/2022 20:30

memyselfi · 05/08/2022 15:25

How do you remove the press on nails ?
Do they peel off and is that taking a layer of nail with it?

You soak them in acetone and the adhesive dissolves. It doesn’t damage your natural nail at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.