Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Help! What everyday shoe with flares?

Hanswurst · 13/05/2022 08:39

Help! I love flares and I really want to get back into wearing them. I’m 42, so I did actually wear them years ago but I can’t remember for the life of me what shoes I wore with them!
I have tried to embrace the white Trainer trend but I just can’t bring myself to wear them - I just feel ridiculous in them, like I’m trying to pretend I’m 21. I do own a pair of Hi-top vans but they just don’t look right to me when paired with flares.
If you love your flares, what shoes do you wear with them on a daily basis?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hotmess1 · 13/05/2022 09:47

I only wear either long flares with platform heels (peep toe) or regular length with sandals. Not keen on them with any other type of shoe to be honest, they’re kind of hard to style aren’t they!

Please
or

Hanswurst · 13/05/2022 11:29

Yes! So hard! I think I’m really struggling because even though I can see how platforms look great with them, I can’t see myself wearing them to go to do my Aldi shop in them if you know what I mean. They just don’t seem like casual, every day shoes. And sandals are lovely but with the weather still being crap most days where I live they aren’t really practical.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hanswurst · 13/05/2022 20:30

Anyone else?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ShirleyJackson · 13/05/2022 20:33

Wear the white trainers. Nobody will think you’re trying to look 21. It’s a fortysomething woman’s staple footwear.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 13/05/2022 20:46

I was thinking something from Lotta From Stockholm, like this t-bar clog . Flares, clogs, perfect 1970s marriage.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 13/05/2022 20:49

That’s not t-bar, but anyway. Or this

Please
or

Hanswurst · 13/05/2022 21:19

@ShirleyJackson I just don’t like them on me. I’ve really tried, but I just can’t get used to the look at all. I really wish I could!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ShirleyJackson · 13/05/2022 22:15

Fair enough.

What about platform Converse?

Please
or

Beenthere123 · 13/05/2022 22:17

Nike airs?

Please
or

Hanswurst · 13/05/2022 22:35

Platform converse might do it!
@Beenthere123 i don’t think I’m an actual trainers kind-of person. Although I do have a pair of Adidas Gazelles, not sure if they would go?
@midsomermurderess I am a little bit in love with the shoes on that website - I’m thinking I might try and do what you suggest and go all out 70s 🤔

OP's posts:
Please
or

mummy182822828 · 13/05/2022 22:53

Nike White Air Force 1s , adidas superstar white , doc martins , platform converse , Nike air max 270 , Chelsea boots

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 13/05/2022 22:53

They are rather marvelous aren't they, unashamedly 1970s. But more comfortable I think.

Please
or

Louise0701 · 13/05/2022 22:54

I wear backless loafers. I love them so did go for an expensive pair but you can get some in most places.

https://www.newlook.com/uk/womens/footwear/shoes/black-suedette-metal-trim-mules/p/817883901?_cclid=Google_Cj0KCQjwg_iTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5jnf2y9jVd0trIOhGoheudBn9WV5r726LcSA3v6YRjWAZ2TQWmypakaAlzLEALw_wcB&extcam=UK<span class="underline">PPCPLAGenericsECGoogleDVm&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgiTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5jnf2y9jVd0trIOhGoheudBn9WV5r726LcSA3v6YRjWAZ2TQWmypakaAlzLEALw_wcB

Please
or

Floisme · 14/05/2022 08:34

The only shoes I’ve ever really thought worked well with flares are flat sandals, stompy platforms and some hand painted clogs I had in the 70s. I’d only wear the sandals now. ( I still like the look of platforms and clogs but not how they feel.) That’s ok as I think it’s a mistake to think of flares as everyday wear. I like them on a summer day with a silk or linen shirt and aforementioned sandals but the rest of the year they’re fecking useless.

I dislike trainers too op and I don’t wear them

Please
or

Notarealmum · 14/05/2022 08:52

In the 70s, though, they tended to be worn very long so you could barely see what was under them. You could wear a high platform and make your legs look really long! Today’s flares tend to be worn shorter and that’s what poses the problem I think. Having said that, I think they look good with chunky flatforms and that’s what I’d wear.

Please
or

Floisme · 14/05/2022 09:21

In the 70s, though, they tended to be worn very long so you could barely see what was under them. You could wear a high platform and make your legs look really long! Today’s flares tend to be worn shorter and that’s what poses the problem I think.

Yes good point, and I think that’s probably why I’m not getting on too well with them this time - thank you!

Please
or

Floisme · 14/05/2022 09:23

Soz that first paragraph was quoting Notarealmum - I though I’d bolded it.

Please
or

20viona · 14/05/2022 09:30

Converse or new balance 327s.

Please
or

ShangPie · 14/05/2022 16:31

OP your Gazelles would be a great option for a 90s revival of flares.

An image search for Britpop female artists like Louise Wener should give some good ideas and you can see if that’s a look you enjoy

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.