My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

I've got to buy a swimsuit. Help!

40 replies

JofraArchersFastestBall · 10/01/2022 15:04

Hello. I've recently started going swimming with my children. I haven't bought a costume since before they were born and haven't got anything that really fits any more. I don't love how I look at the moment (size 12/14, very grey and wobbly. Small boobs, bigger tummy and thighs)

Please could you tell me where to look for something that will make me feel less awkward and conspicuous? (I know nobody is looking at me really) Nothing with very high cut legs or low cut top! Thank you

----

If you've found this page in search of swimwear that has been tried and tested by fellow Mumsnet users, you might find our guide to the best swimsuits for women useful. Hope this helps! MNHQ

OP posts:
OrangeSyringe · 10/01/2022 20:11

George Asda swimsuits are usually fantastic but they’ve not got much In at the moment. They seem split into normal person and booty, they only have the booty stuff in at the mo. The Amazon one linked to WAS last season George though… very similar to ones I’ve bought from SeaFolly for lots more £.

Gonnagetgoing · 10/01/2022 20:22

I went swimming yesterday with the family and was at DM's house - SIL had forgotten her costume so DM lent her a fairly new one of hers - TU at Sainsburys. So comfy that SIL went to TU website and bought one online when we returned from swimming.

Oakdog · 10/01/2022 20:29

I've got a plain black swimsuit from m and s and then bought a pair of short board shorts from Mountain Warehouse. Probably looks rubbish, but makes me feel comfortable.

Imtoooldforallthis · 10/01/2022 20:32
Imtoooldforallthis · 10/01/2022 20:33

Sorry, just seen its out of stock. I bought mine in store if you have one near you.

Scottishnewbie2022 · 10/01/2022 20:35

I’m all about plain black costumes with inbuilt padding/cups!

gogohm · 10/01/2022 20:37

I have an M&S one with tummy control for the pool, and a bikini for holidays (also tummy control)

Rubidium · 10/01/2022 21:40

I'm a regular swimmer and I generally get my swimsuits from Zoggs. They've got a wide selection and in my experience they're good quality.

Joolsin · 10/01/2022 21:53

I got a lovely retro cherry print swimsuit with a little skirt from Joe Browns a few years ago. They haven't had anything since that I would personally buy, but they do have some skirted stuff in their sale. I'm usually a 10, but I buy 12 in swimwear.
www.joebrowns.co.uk/outlet-clothing/womens/women-sale/tankinis

missg00se · 11/01/2022 18:48

[quote FoxgloveSummers]I'd say you have two options: totally anonymous navy blue/black cossie from Speedo or similar (they probably have them on sale at the pool), OR go for something so bright and amazing that you'll get loads of compliments on the print and no one will even notice your body (which is doubtless fine anyway) like this: www.batoko.com/collections/swimsuits[/quote]
Thank you SO much for this. A woman at my local pool has been rocking their narwhal suit and I love it! I've been trying to pluck up the courage to ask her where she got it. But I always chicken out because somehow I think it's a weird thing to ask about a garment that is essentially little more than underwear... but now I know! And thankfully by now I've swam enough that my body is slightly smaller than it was and my current swimsuit is now baggy so I can absolutely justify a new one Wink

FoxgloveSummers · 12/01/2022 11:36

Ah great @missg00se - I love the narwhals with their stars! I get people asking where I got my swimsuit from sometimes (I think because it has proper cups in it) and I never find it weird, for the record.

It's very important to have a SPARE anyway Smile

Paquitalaflor · 12/01/2022 11:48

Might be a bit late on this one so apologies if so but this is my holy grail of swimsuits! Decathalon, lovely holdy-in material with a wee bit of support for the chest and tummy. Looks fab on. x
www.decathlon.co.uk/p/embossed-women-s-1-piece-swimsuit-kaipearl-new-black/_/R-p-305019?mc=8527291&c=BLACK

bestbeforedateexpired · 12/01/2022 21:08

[quote Paquitalaflor]Might be a bit late on this one so apologies if so but this is my holy grail of swimsuits! Decathalon, lovely holdy-in material with a wee bit of support for the chest and tummy. Looks fab on. x
www.decathlon.co.uk/p/embossed-women-s-1-piece-swimsuit-kaipearl-new-black/_/R-p-305019?mc=8527291&c=BLACK[/quote]
Wow! That does look like a good option. I will give that one a try and see if the straps stay on my shoulders. This has been such a useful thread. Thank you for starting it @JofraArchersFastestBall.

wonderstuff · 12/01/2022 21:14

I have swimming leggings and tunic I use for taking the kids swimming, I feel so much more comfortable covered up and I don’t have to spend hours any time shaving either. I googled modest swimsuit, got it from a site aimed at Muslim women. Really don’t see the point in getting your legs out when it isn’t sunny.

JofraArchersFastestBall · 13/01/2022 08:17

[quote Paquitalaflor]Might be a bit late on this one so apologies if so but this is my holy grail of swimsuits! Decathalon, lovely holdy-in material with a wee bit of support for the chest and tummy. Looks fab on. x
www.decathlon.co.uk/p/embossed-women-s-1-piece-swimsuit-kaipearl-new-black/_/R-p-305019?mc=8527291&c=BLACK[/quote]
I like the look of that one too, will try it on as I've got to go to decathlon for various children's sporting items.

The Boden tankini arrived - it's nice, top has good support and I like the short type bottoms.

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/amalfi-bikini-shorts-french-navy/sty-s0153-nav

Possibly not as flattering on the leg as high cut, but more comfortable and I feel less exposed! It's certainly an improvement on my old stretched out costume.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.