Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Help! Job interview on zoom in 2 days!

lborgia · 08/06/2021 11:25

I've been away from work for 3 years, and now have a first interview via zoom in 1.5 days.

I've put on more than a dress size since I last wore work clothes, and I've never worked via zoom. Last time I was on a screen during a meeting was about 25 years agoHmm

So, please can you give me any help on the following:

1 - what sort of top would look best, and am I better off with a slightly small jacket, or none at all?

2 - I'm not sure about make up - I've rarely worn any since last year, and also don't want to look flat/ artificial. The only time I've liked how I look on zoom is when I look as if I'm well rested and just been for a walk - glowing and a bit of colour.

This does not describe my current lookBlush

So, all advice very welcome, I'm happy to buy one or two products, but can't stretch to a new jacket, although I will if I get to the second interview in person

Thank you!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

savvy7 · 08/06/2021 11:55

This might help to give you some ideas:

thefoldlondon.com/product-tag/zoom-ready-tops/

Please
or

MegsSmeg · 08/06/2021 12:33

I had my first interview after years out of work last week, it was over zoom. I opted to go without a jacket, which was a good decision as none of the 3 people interviewing me had a jacket either. Someone told me to make sure i wore something long sleeved as even smart tops with short sleeves can look a bit casual if you are just a small square on someone's screen! Personally I think a plain long sleeve shirt or top of some description would be best and that's what I went for. I was going to wear a thin scarf to add a bit of colour too, but it was a hot day and I was sweating with nerves so took it off at the last minute! Make up wise, I wore light foundation to even out my skin tone and a mascara and brighter lipstick than I would usually go for, again because you'll just be a small thing on someone's screen so want something obvious to stick out to indicate that you've made an effort. Good luck!

Please
or

4PawsGood · 08/06/2021 12:35

Set up your screen and see what you can see of your body when the camera is angled to be flattering (level with your eyes). I found that you could see very little of my body so I just wore a dark coloured shirt and a necklace.

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 08/06/2021 12:39

I think zoom makes you look quite flat and a bit non colour / grey in the face, so maybe a pair of medium earrings and a tiny bit of eye makeup and a subtle lip colour?

Please
or

lborgia · 08/06/2021 22:30

Thanks everyone, I'm less nervous now - don't know why it didn't occur to me to actually try looking at my zoom self before hand! @MegsSmeg - v useful points, I will make sure the room is cool, as I'll be locked in pretending there aren't children and dogs on the other side Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Theorangeorange · 08/06/2021 22:34

Shine a light towards your face (practice first) it makes a huge difference how you look on screen... You can get proper selfie lights or just put a lamp behind the screen of the laptop.
Also Zoom has a 'touch up' filter you can use, it's not a really artificial one but a little blur which can make a difference, again, practice before interview. Good luck!

Please
or

ElsieBobo · 08/06/2021 23:12

If you can, invest in a decent web camera which has a light (not expensive necessarily) or otherwise get lamps positioned so you have flattering light on the face. Wear one of your vest colours and Make sure you have good lippie on. Test background so it’s free of distractions and overly personal info. Good luck!

Please
or

lborgia · 09/06/2021 05:56

Omg all these things I didn't know, thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DonLewis · 09/06/2021 06:00

Buy a ring light to light you up. Works wonders.

Use the hide self view function so you don't just stare at yourself during the actual interview.

Make sure you're comfortable and have a glass of water.

Try and position yourself somewhere with a neutral background.

There's YouTube videos on how to look your best on zoom (position of the laptop in relation to windows etc).

Smile!

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 09/06/2021 06:07

Also practicalities - if you’re going to want to refer to eg your application or any other doc print it out so you aren’t having to have multiple windows open.
Have pen and paper so you could jot down something or a key word from a long rambling q (from them) or similar.
Can jot down names in case you need to refer to anyone by name.
If you do have qs jot them down so you are calm and actually ask them.
If you are interrupted by anything just explain apologise and carry on. It happens to us all.
At the end make sure absolutely sure you have closed the meeting before you stand up (perhaps exposing bottom half clothing, shout at the kids or dog, slurp from a glass of wine or whatever. Grin

Turn phone to silent !

Really good luck. Hope it goes well.

Please
or

crumble82 · 09/06/2021 06:27

Good advice from everyone here. I would also add that you need to be careful using highlighter (if you use it). I was speaking to someone awhile ago who was maybe wearing too much and the light was just bouncing off her on the screen giving a really strange glowing white effect.
For what to wear, be comfortable, they’re only going to see part of your top half so choose something in a colour that suits you and add either a nice pair of earrings or necklace. Don’t wear tracksuit bottoms or shorts just in case you need to stand up but no one will expect you to be formally dressed.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 09/06/2021 06:41

Seriously, they're going to see your top half only. A blouse. Any.
Practice with your makeup.
Even tech-savvy beauty gurus get it wrong. I follow both Sali Hughes and Nadine Baggott and Sali, despite having dry skin apparently, often looks shiny and a bit yellow on her videos. The other day Nadine had big blobs of foundation stuck in her lines. (It made me love both of them more tbf, but probably you don't want an interviewer thinking what a strange shiny face!)
Background- neutral
Lighting- window in front of you or they see a black shadow only. If you go for a ring light it needs to be a decent one and not a £5 one from Amazon which makes no difference whatsoever.
Sound- check
Angle of webcam- the most important bit IMO. It's the make or break bit. Most flattering is for you to be slightly lower than the camera.
Techy blips- make sure you know quickly how to get back in if your connection drops etc.
Are you going to have to show any work during the interview? Make sure you know how to screenshare if so.
Good luck!

Please
or

chocolateorangeinhaler · 09/06/2021 07:00

Ive fine loads over teams (interviews, meetings with colleagues/ reps) so some tips are:

No bare shoulder beach/garden tops like vest tops.
Never really noticed about makeup so I guess wear what you are comfortable with.
Invest in a headset with mic. Makes it so much easier to hear each other and you don't get the annoyance of feedback.
Others have said dig in a place with a window in front of you. If this isn't possible then get a ring light. The range sell one for £19.99 it has variable brightness and three different white settings - cool, neutral and warm. It just plugs into your computer USB.
Practice with someone first. There is a delay sometimes so you have to learn to add a second after someone has finished talking incase they go on to say anything else.
I've never used zoom only teams so this but only relates to teams. If your admitted to the meeting and others cameras are off because you are early don't sit there smoking, picking your nose, playing with your phone. We can see you and it doesn't look as if you are that bothered.
Have fun and good luck 🍀 hope if all goes well for you.

Please
or

lborgia · 10/06/2021 05:25

Thank you SO much everyone, that was so lovely to read - I had a SHL (shit hot light!), which I've borrowed from DH's office loads, but for some reason the light wouldn't come on. Anyway, lightning was good.

It went well enough that I got invited for second interview next week, and she's already asked for my references!

Make up was fine, but what I DID notice was that my concealer is a bit too yellow.

Even though I know I'm pretty pink in tone, I avoid it because I have roseacea, but it truly made me look a but jaundiced, even though it was a "neutral" yellow. Nars, creamy concealer.

Might need to go make up shopping to celebrate the win!

Thanks again, really lovely to have all the posts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cormoran · 10/06/2021 07:51

Yeah! well done for passing the first one!

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 10/06/2021 07:53

Perfect update - well done op. Good luck with what’s next.

Please
or

Goldenhedgehogs · 10/06/2021 08:15

OP well done! Another tip if you have an Alexa in the room unplug it. My mum came booming out over an Alexa as she is elderly so I have it set to drop in do she can always reach me. Not so good during an interview!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.