My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Colouring my hair late 40s pros and cons

7 replies

GOODCAT · 20/12/2018 16:31

I have been trying to dress better and improve my appearance, lose weight and use make up, try new stuff and have more fun. This is motivated by wanting to feel better about myself.

I booked myself in for a haircut and to colour my hair tomorrow. It is quite grey at the moment. I am having a wobble about going through with having my hair coloured as it feels very different for me.

Has anyone done this when they have gone grey and how did you feel about it? Any regrets?

OP posts:
juneau · 20/12/2018 16:35

I've always coloured my hair, but I just wanted to say that it's not an all or nothing process. You can have a few highlights of another colour to give an impression of whatever your original colour was, without going fully dark/blonde/brown/red. Talk to your stylist as s/he, if any good, will be able to suggest a first step that you feel comfortable with and you can take it from there. That's the great thing about hair - whatever you have done can be changed if you don't like it, or you can add more/less next time or a slightly different shade. Also, if there is someone whose look you admire and think 'I'd like to look like that', then take along a picture and show your stylist as a starting point for the sort of look you'd like to go for.

GOODCAT · 20/12/2018 17:13

Juneau thank you that is helpful

OP posts:
helzapoppin2 · 20/12/2018 17:30

I have always had highlights. I’m way older than you, so probably quite a bit greyer. My reasoning is that highlights even out the colour all over. They also don’t leave you with the kind of line an all over colour does. I even have three colours put in, a light, medium and dark to make it look more natural. Well, I hope it looks natural!

Bouledeneige · 20/12/2018 18:58

OP I've had my hair coloured for years. I just have highlights and have changed the tones over the years. I now have quite a bit of grey naturally but it's blended in nicely by the highlights.

Ask the colourist for advice - tell her what you are thinking of and that you want it quite subtle but maybe to brighten it up a bit and fade out the grey. I think highlights are better than block colour as it fades out gently without bad roots grow back. But she will be the expert and can advise you what will work best for you.

By the way have you been in for a patch test? If not they might not be able to do colour for you on your first visit.

mimibunz · 20/12/2018 19:01

I have three colour highlights to help blend the grey. It’s a great way to polish your look especially if you’re not ready to commit to growing your greys.

GOODCAT · 20/12/2018 20:09

Thanks for the advice. I had a patch test when I booked in, so should be ok for tomorrow. I think subtle highlights is the right way to go for me.

OP posts:
Bouledeneige · 20/12/2018 23:21

Good luck OP. I usually have 3 colours blended too. I think you'll love it. Good cut and colour is a real boost.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.