My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

London Hairdresser recommendations please

14 replies

Deathraystare · 19/12/2018 15:37

I thought I had posted this already but cannot find it in search.
Anyway went to my normal place and they did not listen I am left with a very boring style. I wanted layers - kind of punky with a bit of a fringe parting on the right. I got no layers and centre parting. It actually makes me look 'care in the community' iyswIm!

Has anyone - preferably with short layered hair got any recs? For either a London place or one that has branches country wide? Thanks!

OP posts:
HundredMilesAnHour · 19/12/2018 16:11

I recommend Brooks & Brooks in London. 1 min's walk from Holborn tube. I've been seeing Jamie Brooks for 25+ years (from before he and his then wife set up Brooks & Brooks). They've won London Hairdresser of the Year 3 times but everyone is very friendly and very normal. They do a lot of fashion shoots so they can do everything from super-hip to classic.

brooksandbrooks.co.uk/

Deathraystare · 19/12/2018 17:16

Ooh I got a reply!! Thanks very much. After Christmas I will see what they can do for me!!!!

OP posts:
LambChopsMcGee · 19/12/2018 18:12

Where in London?
Blue Tit have a few salons around and are cool but not too cool.

ifeellikeanidiot · 19/12/2018 22:07

I love brooks and brooks too. Went there for years. Consistently excellent across the board, didnt matter who cuts your hair, it's ace.

Dafspunk · 20/12/2018 06:22

Nick Bland and his team at Haringtons Soho are absolutely brilliant. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

Porcelaincup · 20/12/2018 06:37

Jamie Stevens. Absolutely amazing hairdresser. Always cut so well that I can pretty much dry it upside down and my hair falls perfectly into place. I have short hair too. Also Tasha is fantastic at colouring.

I spent years having really mediocre haircuts, some very expensive, none lasted very long.

Since finding them I wouldn’t go anywhere else. The cuts also somehow last ages.

Deathraystare · 20/12/2018 07:26

Thanks so much for your replies. I will report back after Christmas!!!

Porcelain and everyone else - a colour question of 'your' salon - I like rather obvious red hair - more scarlet than ginger. Do you think 'your' salon would do this?

OP posts:
Liverbird77 · 20/12/2018 07:29

I can recommend Jade at Artistic Monkey in Kilburn. It's a one minute walk from the tube.
She does great cuts and colours (I get mine done red and have always been really happy). It's also a lovely environment, with wine etc.
Sadly, I've moved up North now, but I really miss going there.

Porcelaincup · 20/12/2018 07:40

Oh they will definitely be fine with any colour. Not sure if they did it this year, but they usually do the all hair on X factor, plus lots of other TV.

Lots and lots of awards. I think Jamie is celebrity hairdresser of the year.

//www.jamiestevenshair.com

Deathraystare · 20/12/2018 07:48

Wow - Porcelain- some amazing styles and colour there. I guess it is a pricey place but I see there is a branch in Kensington so I guess I can try there.

OP posts:
Deathraystare · 20/12/2018 07:54

Actually just found the details online - thanks Porcelain and the prices though much more than I normally would ever pay are not that bad in comparison with others.

OP posts:
Porcelaincup · 20/12/2018 08:06

Having my hair cut there is my one major extravagance. I have it cut maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Top up the colour in between when I can.

I’m not a famous rich celebrity - I’m very ordinary and boring! I treated myself once there years ago. Curiosity fuelled by endless crap haircuts and looking really old and tired. I just wanted to see what a top hairdresser was like. Couldn’t believe it afterwards and have been going ever since.

Having my hair cut there makes more difference to how I look than anything else. It takes years off me, and makes me feel good.

Porcelaincup · 20/12/2018 08:12

I know the prices seem eyewatering. They often have special offers though which make it more reasonable.

For me it sort of evens out over the year to the same as I was paying before. I was paying £100+ every two months for a cut that looked awful and didn’t seem to last more than a couple of weeks before looking rubbish again.

witchmountain · 20/12/2018 08:20

Another recommendation for Brooks and Brooks and agree it doesn't matter who cuts your hair, they are all great!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.