My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

What advice would you give for taking care of yourself?

35 replies

CollyWombles · 18/12/2018 21:05

Having been a game keepers daughter, the only girl with lots of brothers brought up with my dad, I am terrible at skin, hair, beauty, style in general! I don't even know where to start.

I am getting older now though, I can't believe how much I have aged in just a couple of years! I am 34 and have to dye my hair every 4-6weeks due to the amount of grey, I look quite haggard these days too.

What should I be doing each day to take care of myself better? Currently I shower daily, I'm always skint due to large family, so buy the cheapest shampoo and conditioner, rarely get a hair cut, once a year or twice if I'm lucky. Eyebrows I self wax with super drug eyebrow shaper stripes. Kind of okay I think. I wear cheap round frame glasses. I don't have a clue what to do with makeup, so rarely wear any at all. I have no skin care routine and get overwhelmed when googling! I want a simple and quick daily beauty/hygiene routine.

I shave but hate doing so as I am always left with bumpy skin and get ingrowing hairs a lot.

For reference, I have dark brown eyes, olive skin colour and dye my hair black, natural is very dark brown or was before I went so grey!

Please help, I'd like to look as natural as possible, but not so haggard and like I don't care about myself! Any advice much appreciated.

OP posts:
OneStepMoreFun · 18/12/2018 21:13

Try Superdrug hot cloth cleanser every night.

Moisturise your skin every single day. Twice a day. Lots of women I know with dark hair and olive complexion swear by Astral cream which is dirt cheap.

Apply hand cream every time you wash your hands. Hands age quickly. Keep nails trimmed and clean with at least clear polish on to give them a pearly sheen.

Maybe switch from cheap shampoo and conditioner to 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders which smells good and imo leaves hair much glossier than cheap separate products.

Drink lots of water.

Always floss teeth and use an electric brush as they keep teeth unstained.And use lip salve often if your lips are dry, as that is also very aging.

OHolyNightOwl · 18/12/2018 21:27

You might initially have to shell out a bit, but try to shop around and look for products on Ebay (unwanted gifts etc).

A gentle face wash like Garnier Micellar gel face wash (£2), some kind of chemical exfoliator like Pixi Glow (£15 but only use once a day) and a moisturiser. I recommend Olay Regenerist lightweight cream with SPF30, but have seen lots of recommendations on here for Superdrug Vitamin E (£3).

Something that has made a huge difference to my skin is Scinic Honey all in one serum. It has brightened, smoothed and given my skin some serious glow.
It's about £19 (Amaxon) but the jar is HUGE and you use so little it will easily last a year.

OHolyNightOwl · 18/12/2018 21:31

Herbal Essenses shampoo and conditioner are great and £2 each for huge bottles.

I'm worried I sound like a dick recommending things that are far too expensive? I don't mean to be!

Didsomeonesaybunny · 18/12/2018 21:42

I would recommend a good skincare routine, doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive either. Try the ordinary or the inkey list. Have the vitamin c from the ordinary and I find it to be very good. Reviews are good for both brands for a whole range of products. I’m not a skincare expert far from it) but a good serum seems to be the key and a good acid toner.

For make up I hardly wear much myself but I occasionally wear Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturiser, a splash of lipgloss (I use Mac but anything will do) and some mascara.

schopenhauer · 18/12/2018 21:44

I think moisturizer is key, I like Nivea for a nice cheap one, it’s quite thick. Or coconut oil can be good too, I use it on my body and as a cleanser. Some people use it on hair but I’ve not tried that. It’s pretty cheap in aldi.

I think black hair dye is quite harsh sometimes so might be ageing. Maybe try something slightly lighter.

Make up wise I would suggest something like a bb or cc cream which is nice and light if you aren’t keen on make up. Then a liquid concealer under eyes - I just use a cheap brand and it’s fine. And for me, black mascara - maybelline, some blusher (if you have olive skin look for a warm tone) and a little bronzer just on the hollows of your cheeks and on the edges of your forehead. You could look up some insta mum types who give good quick make up videos eg Emily Norris or Anna saccone. I can’t afford the brands they use but how to apply might be helpful!
I definitely think now I’m 34 I need to make a bit more effort than before!

ProjectGainsborough · 18/12/2018 22:45

Wella colour touch dye is good. Demi permanent and gives a nice gloss. Technical hairdresser only but you can find online and buy the mixing solution too. Makes my hair look quite expensive (IMO Grin)

Just buy a shade lighter than you want to achieve, it comes out dark!

LadyWithLapdog · 18/12/2018 22:51

The best thing you can do IMO is look after your teeth. A nice smile makes your face more open and memorable than anything else Smile

fringegrin45 · 19/12/2018 00:02

I agree with PP that black hair can be ageing I'd go for a v dark brown semi permanent

Could look at garnier products in supermarket. They do good bb cream, eye bb cream and micellar wash. Only thing am not sure of is whether suits olive skin

Maybelline mascara and find a tinted lip balm. Like you but bit fresher rather than done up?

fringegrin45 · 19/12/2018 00:05

Ps obviously I mean black hair can sometimes be ageing if you're naturally brown haired not if it's naturally black!

Before people grumble at me!

CollyWombles · 19/12/2018 00:49

Thanks ladies, i could spend a little more on myself than I do and I think it would be worth it for the mood boost, my looks have been getting me down for some time now. I am going to make a little list of the suggestions here and treat myself for Christmas.

Teeth, that's a whole other matter. I've always had nice straight teeth but after a terrible root canal experience some 12 years ago now, I have never been back to the dentist. Even the thought of going to see one sends me into an anxiety attack. I have a real phobia of sedation of any kind due to a traumatic experience when I was 4 years old and have never been able to get past it.

However, I am currently pregnant and I'm aware that dental treatment is free, it's probably my last chance to go as I have a chipped tooth next to my front tooth, and a couple of other broken teeth, thankfully molars that can't be seen. I have no idea how to get past my fears but I'm going to try. In fact, I will try to register with a dentist tomorrow.

I have dyed my hair black for so long, I don't think it will go any other colour! I once tried to go a reddish colour and my roots went crazy red, rest of the hair was as black as ever.

OP posts:
LadyWithLapdog · 19/12/2018 01:16

Good idea about the dentist. Honestly, hair, lipstick etc are easy to fix. You only have the one set of teeth and they do crumble with age and you’ll need them to eat and keep your face bone structure. Sorry to be so patronising, I think we take it for granted but long-term its an essential investment. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

proseccoaficcionado · 19/12/2018 05:45

-Amazing idea about the dentist. Keep saying to yourself that the fact that it's free will help you a lot & when you're there take deep breaths through your nose, think about something pleasant/sing in your head. This is probably the biggest issue you have but as you say, it can be easily sorted

-Drink loads of water & moisturize. There have been many examples of low cost nice facial creams. If you can get a cleaning gel type product as well for your face and use it twice/day.

-Re make-up: if you have mascara and a nice lipstick suitable for every day that'd be more than enough

Skittlesandbeer · 19/12/2018 05:54

I honestly think changing away from black hair dye is a must. You can still go with v dark brown until you get used to it? It will make a bigger difference than all the other suggestions put together.

For the rest just concentrate on a good skin cleanser (and a flannel to scrub with weekly), and a good natural moisturiser. I second Garnier as a decent brand, with nice citrusy smells.

You’re probably not as bad at all this as you think, and ahead of many women who have been slathering themselves in chemicals for decades!

Elledorado · 19/12/2018 08:53

I find moisturisers are useless, unless as a base/primer for makeup.

Serum is essential if your skin looks dull/haggard. Go for something with an acid in it. The Ordinary is very cheap. I'd try the lactic acid to start with, if you're pregnant (you might want to steer away from anything containing AHAs or retinoids, retinols etc) .

Have no idea about hair dye but I'd spend money on a good hair mask/serum/treatment over any shampoo or conditioner.

Makeup - I agree that these "basic" products can be transforming: mascara/lip balm/blush/foundation or BB cream depending on your skin.

Biologifemini · 19/12/2018 08:55

Ash brown not black
Black is great if it is your natural colour but otherwise it can make you look washed out and with grey it is a nightmare to maintain

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair · 19/12/2018 09:58

Dentist- tell them you have a phobia. I have one too and once they understand that they treat you very differently. It will be ok. ONce you get a couple of appointments out of the way it gets easier.

Hair- go to a hairdresser and have the build up of colour professionally stripped and recoloured. Then use Majirel yourself at home but no darker than 4.15. This colour is a deep, rich brown with subtle warm reflects and it will flatter your skin tone. Black will be doing you no favours. Look at Nigella Lawson-she has warmed up and lightened her hair as she has got older.

Skin-Aldi/Lidl have great stuff. Just keep it basic. Wash face -moisturiser.

MAke-up. MUA from Superdrug eyeliner- just pop it on according to eyeshape and what you want to achieve. Finish with mascara-there’s are loads of great ones.. For foundation go to a department store and find out your skin shade then use the online foundation matrix to see how that translates into a high street one. You can sort on there according to formulation too depending if you need it matte, sheer etc.
MUA do a great highlighting stick too which if you pop over the top of your cheekbones adds instant glow-it’s subtle don’t worry 🙂
Lipstick wise I think LOreal mahogany studs would be a good neutral. It is a fantastic brown with a bit of pink and works well as an everyday nude without giving that foundation lips look some nudes do. It looks darker in the tube than on the lips.

I would finish with some perfume if you like it. Loads of great dupes out there so no need to spend a fortune.

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair · 19/12/2018 10:04

Hair and lipstick colours for reference ....

AuntyJackiesBrothersSistersBoy · 19/12/2018 10:06

Expensive but....wait for the sales and buy a NuFace Mini. Ten minutes 5 x weekly use. THE ABSOLUTE BEST THING I’ve done for my tired looking face and neck. You can use all the moisturising creams you want, as I have, but this works wonders in a way creams simply cannot.

I do not work for the company I’m just a convert.

OHolyNightOwl · 19/12/2018 10:42

@AuntyJackie

Oh, do tell more! So how does it work? Electric pulses or heat or what? Is it a bit like those face masks with red/green light etc?

CollyWombles · 19/12/2018 11:45

Thanks everyone for so many great suggestions, I have loads to go on now. I am feeling brave enough to attach a pic, this is me this morning, with no makeup, as I normally am.

OP posts:
OHolyNightOwl · 19/12/2018 13:04

Oh come on! You made yourself sound half dead, but you are cute with nice skin!
Don't be do mean to yourself.
The above advise is still good though!

Ukelou · 19/12/2018 13:08

You dont look haggard at all. I do think though that your hair would look better a bit lighter snd warmer . But you have lovely skin seriously

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Whatififall · 19/12/2018 13:21

Not haggard at all!

Lots of water, face masks and hair masks, nails shaped, eyebrows waxed.

I always feel better if my toenails are painted and my legs shaved. Doesn’t matter if no-one else sees.

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair · 19/12/2018 13:51

Personally I would just change the hair colour as your skin and features are lovely as they are. 🙂

schopenhauer · 19/12/2018 14:59

You have really good skin, I agree your hair would be better a dark brown.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.