My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

how do you home dye the back of your head?

8 replies

catmon · 12/12/2018 16:53

i usually get my daughter to help me but she's leaving home next year , i've tried before but really struggled, any tips ? cheers

OP posts:
MarklahMarklah · 12/12/2018 16:58

Section your hair. Start at the back, toward the base of your skull and pull colour through from the scalp to about halfway through the length.
do the bit above it, and the bit above that, which should bring you to just below the crown.
Do the front
Do the sides
Slather colour over the rest.

This is what I should do but I tend to randomly bung it all over until my hair is saturated.

catmon · 12/12/2018 17:20

so do u use the nozzle of the bottle then just come it through the length ?

OP posts:
catmon · 12/12/2018 17:20

*comb it

OP posts:
MarklahMarklah · 12/12/2018 18:55

Nozzle on the bottle along roots, work that along the hair a bit (I wear latex gloves), but by the time I've done the roots I usually just slap it all over. I currently have purple hair and the dye comes in a pot so I scoop it out onto my palms, rub those together and spread through.
I've not tried combing through as I usually colour my hair when damp and it tends to tangle too much.

HilaryBriss · 12/12/2018 20:51

Same technique as Marklah pretty much. Start with good intentions, doing the front and my parting/roots neatly and then end up just slapping at all on straight from the bottle and working it through my hair with my fingers.

I tried with a pot and a brush thing but found it too difficult, the 'slap it all on' approach is soooo much easier Grin

RaininSummer · 12/12/2018 21:00

Yep slap it on and massage it around a bit to ensure coverage.

MarklahMarklah · 12/12/2018 22:27

I do use a brush at the very front to "feather" the otherwise harsh edges. I haven't had normally coloured hair for many years, so I try to make it look less blocky at the front.

FTFF · 12/12/2018 22:34

Use the nozzle to skoosh it directly on to the roots, sectioning hair as you go. Comb it down the lengths a bit then skoosh it into your hands (while wearing gloves,) rub together and run through the lengths then a final comb through.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.