My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Wearing white in winter - would anyone find it strange?

21 replies

foxtiger · 11/12/2018 10:28

I just saw a lovely image of a very stylish woman wearing white jeans and a chunky cream jumper in winter. I kind of want to wear something similar (some time when I have zero chance of spilling stuff all over it) but I'm not sure how weird it would be considered. I know in America they are very prescriptive about when you can and can't wear white, but would anyone really care in the UK? Do you think there are any particular settings where it would work better? I thought maybe for a weekend walk by the sea (sea front in a town, not some remote cove, where muddy hiking gear would be more useful).

OP posts:
HeffalumpsDaughter · 11/12/2018 10:29

I think it sounds lovely. As long as you’re not going to a wedding you’ll look great.

pippistrelle · 11/12/2018 10:33

I agree with you that it can look very chic, and for as long as I've been aware, magazines always run at least one feature on winter white every year. So, it's definitely a thing. However, in walking around real life, it's not that much of a thing, and if I do see someone wearing white bottoms in winter, I notice it.

You'd have to choose a day when it's not raining, otherwise you'd end up with non-chic splattered legs

Bath9000 · 11/12/2018 10:33

No of course not, wear what you want.

Roobub · 11/12/2018 10:34

I think in the UK it's mainly just impractical. Well, in London (or I guess any big city really). It'll likely rain and with all the grime your (lovely sounding) white outfit could quickly look a bit grubby, particularly round the ankles etc. Sounds cute though!

OHolyNightOwl · 11/12/2018 11:21

With knee high boots might work, so you don't get all splattered.

foxtiger · 11/12/2018 12:09

Thanks for the encouragement. I've just discovered that I can't find my white jeans, so this project may have to go on hold for a while, but it's good to know that none of you would actually point and snigger.

OP posts:
DontCallMeCharlotte · 11/12/2018 12:28

I know in America they are very prescriptive about when you can and can't wear white

I need to see a list!

halfwitpicker · 11/12/2018 12:30

I don't see why not

ravenlover · 11/12/2018 12:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FadedRed · 11/12/2018 12:33

Just don’t go for a long walk up a mountain in a snowstorm, you’ll be invisible.

pippistrelle · 11/12/2018 12:47

Oh yes, I used to have a white coat - well, cream really - it was lovely but the sleeves, in particular, ended up filthy from contact with other people and things on public transport. Ewww. Hell is other people, true enough.

ArkAtEee · 11/12/2018 14:57

I think it can look really cool and was thinking on the same lines as you after seeing this earlier:

www.instagram.com/p/BrOGCDplce9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=lca09xy0t25

foxtiger · 11/12/2018 15:51

Ark nice! Going to look at some more of her pics - she looks interesting.

This was my inspiration: viennawedekind.com/2018/12/03/vanilla-shades-frankie-shop/ . She pretty much only wears neutrals. I don't really love the shape of the jeans but I think the colours would suit me well.

OP posts:
ArkAtEee · 11/12/2018 16:31

@foxtiger love that with the snake print Smile

expatmigrant · 11/12/2018 17:13

I do like the white jeans and chunky jumper look. Looks good on a dry sunny winters day.
Massimo Duty had white jeans in shop last week, in case you're still looking.

MrsGollach · 11/12/2018 17:36

I'll go against the grain. I have a friend who wears creams and pastels all year round. To me it looks odd and I always think she looks cold in the winter. It's a no from me.

foxtiger · 11/12/2018 19:21

MrsG Thanks - it's interesting to hear a different point of view. I hadn't considered that it could be perceived as looking cold at all!

I think the only solution is to try it one day and ask someone whose opinion I trust how they think it looks, or even get some photos. I'm not as glamorous looking as the woman in my link but I do have very warm colouring and look good in cream, so at least I'll look healthy. expat I did find the jeans in the end - they'd been put on a hanger with something else on top of them, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

OP posts:
TantricTwist · 11/12/2018 19:42

White in winter is fine if you aren't planning on going outside for obvious reasons.

yorkshirepud44 · 11/12/2018 21:52

I live on the south coast. There's no fecking way anyone would wear white jeans here. They'd be splattered in minutes at this time of year. Waterproofs and dark jeans are where it's at. I've had to lower my fashion standards.

Unless you're on the Côte d'Azur I'd knock that one on the head. Sadly.

fringegrin45 · 11/12/2018 23:19

So the two people that come to mind in "winter white" are The duchess of Sussex and Andrew ridgeley in last Christmas....

Actually I like a bit of winter white up too but don't underestimate the power of pavement splash esp in a city.

fringegrin45 · 11/12/2018 23:20

Up top

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.