My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Material for dressmaking similar to white stuff and Monsoon

11 replies

Cumbrianlass66 · 24/10/2018 08:09

Just that really I am 6ft tall and plus sized and really love the fabric colours and prints in Whitestuff and Monsoon. Where can I find similar to try and make an easy jersey dress in lovely greens or purples? Thanks

OP posts:
FallingForRosie · 24/10/2018 08:20

Girl Charlee www.girlcharlee.co.uk has a lot of fun knit patterns. Also try //www.fabworks.co.uk

There are a huge amount of small indie fabric stores like sewmesunshine.co.uk and lamazifabrics.com who have great patterns.

I'd recommend Cashmerette blog.cashmerette.com or Collette
www.colettepatterns.com for patterns. Both have a wide size range and easy for beginner patterns.

Cumbrianlass66 · 24/10/2018 23:06

Thanks FallingForRosie I will check these out. My local High Street only consists of one shop I can actually visit and even this seems more aimed at quilters and very elderly dressmakers tastes.

OP posts:
FallingForRosie · 25/10/2018 10:02

You're welcome.

High street shops tend to be hit and miss, but you'll be sucked in to online fabric shopping in no time.

Bluebird1234 · 25/10/2018 11:36

Seasalt do fabric too but also plus size.

DontCallMeCharlotte · 25/10/2018 14:35

Doesn't John Lewis have a big fabric department?

Cumbrianlass66 · 25/10/2018 15:06

Thanks all, we don’t have a John Lewis anywhere near us unfortunately.

OP posts:
angelichosts · 25/10/2018 15:21

I'm in the middle of making my first ever homemade dress, so interested in the same topic. From browsing, I found Abakhans had a few useful fabrics, they have shops in some areas too.
www.abakhan.co.uk/fabric/dressmaking/jersey-knits.html?limit=64 (trying to decide if I'm too old for a unicorn patterned dress)

Another online shop that looked interested was Stoff and Stil, who have plus sized patterns and a good range of fabric.
www.stoffstil.co.uk/fabrics/jersey

YouWereRight · 25/10/2018 19:32

The fold line are great for searching for patterns. You can search by fabric type, designer, garment.

With indie pattern companies, I find it useful to find somebody with a similar body shape to you as they tend to make their patterns to suit themselves. I know that this sounds like common sense, but it took a while of me wondering why some companies just don't work for me to click.

PalacePalacePalace · 25/10/2018 19:41

I'm hoping to start making more clothes. I've found fabric godmother has some great and different fabrics to other places I've found

www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/

theboxofdelights · 25/10/2018 19:48

Minerva, Shaukat, Truro Fabrics, Sewbox are my favourite shops - all sell nice fabrics. Shaukat do a lot of liberty prints on jersey fabric.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.