My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Wool irritates me too much - alternative please?

20 replies

hippospot · 16/10/2018 17:04

I can sometimes wear merino wool but lambswool is too scratchy. What is warm but a natural fibre?

I keep looking at cashmere wondering if it's worth paying for and is it scratchy at all? It would be an expensive mistake to buy then find it's not suitable!

Every year I seem to face this dilemma as I really feel the cold. You'd think by now I'd have found the answer. I'm one of those people who vastly prefers summer clothes to winter...

I have about two jumpers left so definitely need to restock my wardrobe now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 16/10/2018 17:11

polyester? maybe you could try one like this

hippospot · 16/10/2018 17:12

Thanks but I'd like to avoid any synthetics.

OP posts:
goose1964 · 16/10/2018 17:17

I have your problem,I did have a cashmere jumper once but it made me feel sweaty, I'm better off in synthetics, some acrilyc just!person are soft or cotton is good, I'm thinking about trying a silk and cotton mix with my Christmas money

grasspigeons · 16/10/2018 17:19

I used to wear cotton jumpers as I couldn't wear wool.

TodoDoingDone · 16/10/2018 17:20

How about cotton jumper with a warm thermal layer underneath? Esprit does some cotton or cotton mix jumpers.
I bought some cheap cashmere and that was a real waste, bobbled and not so warm.
Or what about a mix where the wool feels soft? Some wool but it is not scratchy. You'd have to feel it as it's sometimes hard to tell from the label.

VictoriaBun · 16/10/2018 17:20

Have a look at Alpaca .

Shockers · 16/10/2018 17:21

I wear cotton jumpers with a soft vest underneath if it’s cold.

user450246 · 16/10/2018 17:22

I hate wool, I find cashmere lovely, but I always wear a cotton top underneath. Even a hint of a wool cuff has me itching.

VictoriaBun · 16/10/2018 17:23

Info for you

Alpaca fibre has many special properties which makes it ideal for making clothing and many other products too and it is this that makes it very sought after from top fashion houses from around the world. It is extremely durable and the second strongest natural fibre to silk, yet extremely soft to touch, as soft as Cashmere. Like other natural fibres alpaca acts as a great insulator, it is warm as the hollow fibres keep the warm air in. It is exceptionally lightweight, there is no need for a heavy or bulky products in alpaca as you will find warmth in the lightest of garments.

Alpaca is hypoallergenic. For people sensitive to sheep’s wool, alpaca is an great alternative as it is not prickly and does contain lanolin so shouldn’t irritate the wearer.

HumpHumpWhale · 16/10/2018 17:27

I have a merino silk mix cardi from Massimo Dutti, and it's the best thing ever. Not even a tiny bit scratchy and so warm considering how thin it is.
I also like uniqlo heattech tops as an under-layer, with their ultra fine merino on top which I don't find itchy either.
But for me cashmere is the ultimate soft/ warm combo. I find John Lewis cashmere lasts really well. Or go for merino cashmere mix for a slightly cheaper option. Woolovers do a lot but I find the quality a bit hit and miss.

hippospot · 16/10/2018 17:30

Thanks everyone.

I should have said that in winter I wear Uniqlo thermal layers under most things because I feel the cold so much.

I hadn't considered alpaca so thanks I will look for it.

Cashmere still feels like an expensive gamble but I will look at the merino/cashmere mix at Woolovers, thanks.

I always wear cotton or a heattech top under things but wool on cuffs or neckline is still too irritating.

OP posts:
goose1964 · 16/10/2018 17:33
ChinaCrisis · 16/10/2018 17:34

Another vote for Alpaca and if you can knit then have a look at Wool And The Gang for easy knitting kits for snoods, scarfs, hats and jumpers.

AnotherEmma · 16/10/2018 17:36

Cotton or merino wool

I recently bought some washable merino wool (a cardigan and sweater) from Gap and happy with it.

Uniqlo do some too.

AnotherEmma · 16/10/2018 17:38
TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince · 16/10/2018 17:45

I’m allergic to wool, cashmere and alpaca. They all make me itch but wool is the worst. I’m also allergic to polyester and acrylic.

So l have to wear cotton jumpers. It’s a real pain. Silk is warm but expensive

frugalkitty · 16/10/2018 17:48

I can't wear wool either, even if I've got something underneath. What about silk thermals? I got mine from Lands End a few years ago.

thedevilinablackdress · 16/10/2018 20:02

Try some cashmere from eBay or charity shop for low risk testing. (It is awesome).

MrsPeacockDidIt · 16/10/2018 20:10

I also have trouble with wool. Alpaca is amazing and I look for that whenever I can. Merino and cashmere are also ok. I feel the cold too.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 · 16/10/2018 20:13

I'm autistic and have a problem with many fabrics next to my skin but I don't mind superfine merino or cashmere

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.