My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

13 year old boy - where to shop? Likes sportswear

15 replies

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 09:39

Hi - DS will turn 13 in December - so year 8. In the past he has always been happy to wear relaxed 'skateboarder' type clothes. Lots of tracksuit bottoms and big t shirts. He still likes his sportswear (flat out refuses to wear jeans) but is getting into fancy trainers and more labelled stuff. He won't wear sloganned tshirts any more - so that pretty much rules out H&M. I am a bit clueless on what is cool and not cool in this area. Any pointers on labels/shops to look out for? He has mentioned Superdry and Hype a couple of times and I was thinking of getting him a Nike tracksuit. What do your sporty teens wear?

OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 14/10/2018 10:29

hype
sonneti
and here for joggers (he has ones with the logo on)

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 10:41

Thanks sleep I haven't heard of Sonneti and the joggers look great. Smile

OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 14/10/2018 11:09

glad i coild help x

QueenofLouisiana · 14/10/2018 11:11

Yr8 was the year my DS discovered jeans, wore trackies up to that point.

Now wears Superdry, North Face, Nike, Scott and Lyle tshirts. Hoodies- Superdry and sporting events. Jeans are H&M or Boohoo. Primark for cheap stuff, including ling sleeved tshirts, 2 formal shirts, pjs etc

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 11:21

Thanks Queen - that is most helpful.

Ds hates buttons (almost to the point of phobic) and anything constrictive against his skin. His face, when he has to put his uniform on at the end of the summer holidays is a picture! I don't see him in jeans any time soon. Grin

OP posts:
CallMeRachel · 14/10/2018 11:30

JD Sports is the only shop for my teenager

Fstar · 14/10/2018 12:03

M a d m direct and also sports direct. Just got under armour hoodie for a tenner for nephew

TotallyWingingIt · 14/10/2018 12:06

Another one for JD sports. My 3 DS's love it there and they have a good sales section online too Wink

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 12:10

This is great - thanks everyone.

OP posts:
iloveredwine · 14/10/2018 12:41

JD sports here too

rosablue · 14/10/2018 12:42

I also have 13 year old ds who loves sports wear and hates jeans. I got him some really stretchy black ones from Asda - not jeggings but proper jeans but stretchy enough that he can run around and play football or whatever in them. he plays rugby and after their matches they're supposed to put on shirt, club tie and trousers to have a meal with the other team, so he needed something that was a proper pair of trousers and whereas he's groaned a lot about having to wear jeans previously, he will wear these without any stress and has even been known to choose to put them on even when he doesn't need to [falls over with shock emoji here]Grin

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 12:46

Thanks rosablue - yes, stretch jeans could definitely be the way forward. He's not going to get away with joggers for every occasion. He still claims to be traumatised from having to wear a waistcoat and cords to a wedding - when he was five. Grin

OP posts:
rosablue · 14/10/2018 13:10

The advantage of the asda jeans too is that they are cheap and as they are boys and have tops that go over the waist usually rather than being tucked in, nobody can see any labels to know where they are from, they just look like generic black jeans.

Being black also has the advantage of being able to work for quite smart (ie the rugby lunch with shirt and tie) through to normal (with sports tshirt or hoodie) through to grungy or cool (with a black or cool tshirt)... short of having to go to a wedding or posh lunch or something that requires OTT smartness, which you'd usually have to deal with as a special occasion anyway, they work well across most normal eventualities a 13 yr old boy encounters Grin

GoldenBuns · 14/10/2018 13:51

Thanks, I'll bear them in mind for the future. If I buy them now, he'll probably grow out of them before he wears them. He does not have a sophisticated social life!

OP posts:
SuzeD29 · 19/10/2018 06:27

My boys are 12 and 9 and live in sportswear too. I get it all from sports direct and tk maxx. Got some converse joggers from tk maxx couple weeks back for £11 which my 9 year old loves

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.