My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Unreliable hair!

16 replies

tobee · 13/10/2018 22:26

I'm forever trying new shampoo/conditioner/styling routine. What happens is I follow a way of washing it etc and am pleased with the result. But then, pretty soon, it comes out completely differently. So I'll use x shampoo, conditioner and styling spray, dry it. Hair pleasingly shiny and styled well. Repeat for a week or so and it will soon look rubbish. It looks dull or lank or frizzy or whatever.

Is this normal for most people? Or just me? What am I doing wrong?

OP posts:
TidyLike · 13/10/2018 22:44

What sort of hair do you have?

tobee · 13/10/2018 23:09

Thin (very), dyed, above shoulder length, slight curl, tendency to frizz, go to hairdressers for cut and colour every 6-8 weeks. I was severely anaemic, am 50 and have under active thyroid for full disclosure! Grin

OP posts:
tobee · 13/10/2018 23:11

Basically I'll use a nourishing type of conditioner as it often looks parched. This sorts it out for a bit but then another type the seemingly same amount of product renders it lank. Or flyaway. I tend to wash twice a week.

OP posts:
tobee · 13/10/2018 23:12

*another time not another type

OP posts:
purpleface · 13/10/2018 23:19

My hair is a feckless, unreliable jerk as well. Grin
I find it gets "accustomed" to certain shampoos and it helps to change it every few weeks. I try a new shampoo (eg, just tried a John Frieda one at a relative's house) and think, "Wow, my hair is so soft, this stuff is amazing..." But you can guarantee if I stock up on the stuff, in a few weeks my hair will be up to its frizzy old tricks again. I think it has something to do with different types of products building up...? Or some such pseudo science mumbo jumbo.Confused

PragmaticWench · 13/10/2018 23:22

It sounds as though you have a layer of silicone on your hair that is preventing moisture from getting into the centre of each strand.

tobee · 13/10/2018 23:59

Purple hooray I'm not the only one!
Pragmatic so what's my next step, please?

OP posts:
EdWinchester · 14/10/2018 00:08

Use silicone free shampoo and conditioner..

It does make a difference but you don’t get any lather, so it takes getting used to. My hair doesn’t feel as clean, but looks better.

MoltonSilver · 14/10/2018 00:50

Maybe you need to use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks to remove build up.

LesLavandes · 14/10/2018 00:55

Coconut oil before your shampoo. Put hair in shower cap abd leave for hours

tobee · 14/10/2018 11:54

Lovely! Thank you, I will try all of that.

OP posts:
Fstar · 14/10/2018 12:01

I have hypothyroidism and thin hair too. I use philip kingsley shampoo, conditioner and elastisizer. Can wash every day and looks good, treatment couple times a week. I also on occassion use lee stafford just for a change.

My hair snaps so much so ive started taking superdrugs hair vitamins and use damage contol spray when blow drying

tobee · 14/10/2018 22:33

Ah! Thank you, Fstar

OP posts:
Partyfops · 14/10/2018 22:36

Boots do a build up removal shampoo that will solve this. Use it once a week and it will remove the build up.

tobee · 16/10/2018 01:43

Thank you all! 👍

OP posts:
MrsRubyMonday · 16/10/2018 01:51

Sounds similar to mine. I use a clarifying shampoo once a month or so, when I notice the lank look creeping in, then rotate between brands that I know work, tresemme or Aussie normally but recently tried the Pantene moisture which I'm loving. Wash twice a week, one with a long condition (30 mins plus while bathing), one with a short condition (however long it takes to shave my legs in the shower so 5 mins max). I don't blow dry or heat style my hair except for special occasions or if it's late and I need to get to bed and my hair is still soaking, but then only until dry enough to not wet the pillow. Very sparing argan oil on tips in winter, like 5p size for everything. I don't get layers or thinning at the hairdresser as I find it makes my frizz stick out in random places and directions, just one straight length, and growing it long has helped weigh it down a bit which for me is a good thing.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.