My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Root perms. Are they still a thing?

8 replies

himalayansalt · 10/09/2018 17:56

I used to have these in the 80s/90s and they give my fine straight hair a bit of a lift.

Now that slightly more tousled hair is coming back, I'm thinking of cutting my hair shorter and going for more volume.

Would a hairdresser laugh at me if I asked for this?

OP posts:
somewhereovertherainbutt · 10/09/2018 18:00

Shameless placemarking. I loved my root perm in the 80s!

princesstiasmum · 11/09/2018 10:20

I would love a root perm too, fed up of having to use rollers to get some body into my dead straight hair,

iwanttolookbetter · 11/11/2020 04:13

Posting on the offchance that the OP or other posters are still on here and reading this. I've read negative things elsewhere on mumsnet about root perms so I'm curious to hear more about your positive experiences. Doesn't it grow out and leave a weird kink (or if you keep getting it done does your whole head eventually end up permed?)

julieandertoninthewarehouse · 11/11/2020 07:02

Not sure I'd go for a root perm nowadays - not sure if anywhere would even do it - but I have fine, flat hair & I swear by my micro crimpers - they give volume & lift that lasts better than any volumising product!

iwanttolookbetter · 11/11/2020 14:42

Interesting Julie I'll look into those. What kind do you have and how do you use them? Just at the roots? How long does it take you to create a style and do you have to use other tools or products with them?

ArranBound · 11/11/2020 15:08

I use these now
www.hairflair.com/#gs.kmofam

I get plenty of lift and they come in different varieties so you can have spiral curls or gentle waves.

julieandertoninthewarehouse · 11/11/2020 15:38

@iwanttolookbetter

Interesting Julie I'll look into those. What kind do you have and how do you use them? Just at the roots? How long does it take you to create a style and do you have to use other tools or products with them?

I hava a Babyliss Root Boost, although it doesn t look like they make them anymore. These look similar:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086H7GZXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_usaRFbJGGHAEH?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21
Yes you just section off hair and crimp right at the root - obviously only do undernath, not the top layer, so you don't see the crimps. I use a heat protectant spray but no other styling products. Ut takes a few minutes as I just do 3 or 4 crimps each dide and at the back of my hair. You can do more or less depending on the amount of volume you want.
iwanttolookbetter · 11/11/2020 15:40

Thanks ArranBound. I've watched lots of Youtube videos on wavecurlers etc and have been really impressed with the results. But it looks like they take ages to do? I've also just had a perm and am trying to work out if it's a viable long term solution (think it's too curly but when I straighten my hair it has the extra volume I'm after - but now with even dryer ends!). Or if I should have it reversed and try yet more things.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.