My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Off to France - what should I buy?

22 replies

WTAFIGO · 08/09/2018 15:19

Just that really, any skincare, make up or clothes recommendations please!

OP posts:
MinesaPinot · 08/09/2018 15:25

Le Petit Marsellais shower creams/gels and also
the liquid soap from the same brand - I got mine in Carrefour when I was in France. Really lovely and will be having a stock up when I go next year.

WTAFIGO · 08/09/2018 20:34

Thanks, on the list!

OP posts:
DaisyChainsForever · 08/09/2018 20:36

Not style and beauty related, but washing powder is cheap in Carrefour, my friend always comes back with massive boxes of it!

CurlyWurlyTwirly · 08/09/2018 20:39

Biotherm skin care from pharmacy as opposed to beauty shops. Roger et Gallet soaps. Eau de Cologne from supermarkets spray onto bedding.

Reasonable clothes: Kiabi, especially for children. Cache Cache.

CurlyWurlyTwirly · 08/09/2018 20:40

Eau Micellaire; really cheap in Lidl.

pasturesgreen · 08/09/2018 21:08

Nothing helpful to add, sorry, but following with interest as I'm off to France at the end of the month.

Polkapjs · 08/09/2018 22:15

I always get pine nuts food-wise
Echo what pp said about petit marseilleais soap and shower gel. La Roche posay
Ooh and Nivea soft is way cheaper there
Shampoo - Klorane was lovely too

chipsandgin · 08/09/2018 22:22

I would have said La Roche Posay - however the exchange rate is now so appalling it isn't worth buying anything - not even wine :(

Jumbojem · 08/09/2018 23:42

Love le petit Marseilles everything. But to echo poster above, exchange rate makes most stuff cheaper here. We found France very expensive generally this summer, and we have been going for years and parents live there.

BikeRunSki · 08/09/2018 23:45

If you are going to Provence, then I love all the lemony stuff you get in markets around there, especially lemon soap.

Twotabbycats · 09/09/2018 01:44

L'Occitane still works out cheaper in France if you like it! Advent calendar is out end of Sept, I think!

Go into Sephora for a browse if you like their own-brand products.

Bring your own paracetamol and ibuprofen - it's expensive here! Paracetamol is just over 2€ for 16 and you have to go to a Pharmacie - not available in supermarkets.

QueenofLouisiana · 09/09/2018 07:48

Savon de Marseillaise (spelling??), good blocks of it from the market- really good for the shower.

I always look in the supermarkets for jackets as they are smart, well cut and not expensive.

taybert · 09/09/2018 09:29

I guess it depends where you go but I went to an e leclerc parapharmacie and la Roche Posay was still a fair bit cheaper even with the poor exchange rate.

Finallybreathingout · 09/09/2018 11:02

Nuxe prodigeux shower gel in the Leclerc parapharmacie is €7.30. It's hard to find it for under £9 here online and M&S charge £11. Also Roger and Gallet products across the range.

Caudalie is also quite a bit cheaper.

BagelGoesWalking · 09/09/2018 11:34

There's a recent thread on the same subject - I don't know how to link on my phone but see pic!

WTAFIGO · 09/09/2018 11:58

Thanks everyone great inspiration and Polkapjs thanks for the steer on pine nuts, I love them so will stock up!

OP posts:
Beketaten · 09/09/2018 12:28

I like all the monoï things, the chamomile shampoo and coconut perfume in Yves Rocher.

StrangeLookingParasite · 09/09/2018 16:16

Where are you going in France?

NancyFridayWrites · 09/09/2018 16:40

I love Klorane and Le Roche Posay but all we’re more expensive in France! Just come back from a two week holiday and we wonder how the French afford anything!

WTAFIGO · 09/09/2018 17:15

All really helpful points, Strangelookingparasite we are doing a trip around the south west and wine country.

OP posts:
SwedishEdith · 09/09/2018 17:25

I would have said La Roche Posay - however the exchange rate is now so appalling it isn't worth buying anything - not even wine

It's still worth bringing wine. We had (and brought back) loads of really drinkable stuff at around €3. Buy local to where you're staying.

BagelGoesWalking · 10/09/2018 00:23

As you're going to the SW, pick up some bottles of Pineau. I prefer the red to the white but both are nice. Also tins of confit de canard. Just needs to be in the oven for a short time and you can keep all the lovely fat for your roast potatoes. 😬

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.