My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Wearing men's clothing

25 replies

AndYetItMoves · 05/09/2018 19:35

This is an old article

www.thefword.org.uk/2017/01/i-wore-mens-clothes-for-a-month-and-it-changed-my-life/

But is has me excited at the possibilities. I've got a similar body shape to the author, and the idea that men's clothing could suit me and be comfortable is enticing.

I'm tired of clinging clothes that ride up or pinch. I like pockets and thicker fabrics. I love the idea of making brain space for things other than what-goes-with-what.

A couple of years ago I started wearing a uniform of the same shirt and jeans every day; I bought several identical items and accessorised a little differently from one day to the next, and it was such a relief! I enjoyed not having to worry about looking "right" (whatever that means) every day, because I already knew I looked good. I threw on a cardigan or hoodie or whatever on top of a simple blue oxford shirt with jeans.

But this article makes me want to push that even further and wear my dh's jeans. The pockets are roomy and plentiful and I'm sick of faffing with handbags!

The fact that men's clothing is often better made and cheaper (or at least similar) in price makes me want to opt out of all gender expectations altogether. Where can I buy a three piece suit?!

OP posts:
Sitranced · 05/09/2018 22:29

Good article. I don't think I'll be reaching for a full 3 piece suit and tie but I certainly have a lot of menswear in my wardrobe. Jumpers, jeans, hoodies, jackets and t-shirts are usually of higher quality materials and made to fit my shape a bit better. My head is quite big too so my hats and glasses are usually from the men's section also.

PersistenceIsNotFutile · 08/09/2018 07:15

So, I bought some "men's" chinos yesterday. Very comfortable and the pockets are a dream. I'm sold, frankly.

BikeRunSki · 08/09/2018 07:26

I’ve been doing this for years - jumpers, T shirts, hats, gloves, socks certainly. When I was younger and slimmer I could- and did - wear men’s jeans. I have size 9 feet, many of my shoes are men’s. Big boobs abs hips means anything tailored for men - shirts and jackets - tends to be too big on the shoulders and too tight on the hips though, but Anthony with a soft structure, it has never occurred to me not to wear it.

Floisme · 08/09/2018 07:47

I have a few mens’ jackets, a raincoat, several jumpers. I totally agree with the points about pockets and higher quality. I would buy more but I’d have to get everything altered. Men’s shirts are particularly useless in terms of fit - shoulders, chest, collar and sleeves all wrong.

So large sections of that article chimed with me. But I rolled my unmade up eyes at the inference that men are too clever and important to waste time thinking about clothes or to ever wear anything impractical. A glance through any illustrated history of fashion would have set her straight on that.

The writer is clearly fastidious about what she wears and drawn to the aesthetics of mens’ clothing; as am I. But I question whether that’s a political statement. In fact I think pretending it is is disrespectful to women in cultures where clothing really can be an act of rebellion.

And what on earth was that comment about ‘provincial men’?

PersistenceIsNotFutile · 08/09/2018 07:51

I agree - the article is problematic in places, but I should think the author was a bit hyperbolic as part of the "experiment".

LoniceraJaponica · 08/09/2018 07:54

I have hips and a waist so men's jeans are out for me, but I wear men's jumpers because I have long arms, and the sleeves are nice and long. Also I prefer plain jumpers without frills, buttons, sequins etc. And usually they are just better quality.

LoniceraJaponica · 08/09/2018 07:56

Oh, and I bought a man's T-shirt from Next recently. It was £6 and not see through.

AlmaGeddon · 08/09/2018 08:01

I definitely think the world has gone bonkers with women's clothing.
So many things I don't particularly find comfortable. Eg the clingy stuff, I've had to throw it all out I'm in my 60s with bulges here and there despite not being considered fat, the clingy fabric highlights these.
Trousers, narrow legs that ride up and stay up, tiny pockets (levi women's have 2 inch pockets at the front) - the main reason for wearing jeans imv is the pockets for your car keys.Anything that needs adjusted as you are wearing them, eg 3/4 length sleeves which get caught in your jacket sleeve, drapey scarves, need constant fiddling with as you go in and out of buildings, heels, nothing having a collar, it's damp and cold where I live, so you always need a scarf in cooler weather. Short long tops/dresses. Do I need leggings/ boots/ why does it hang below my jacket/coat , tangle round my thighs.
And no socks - who wants to go around sockless in winter with a 3 inch gap between the bottom of their trousers and their shoes, men don't.

AndYetItMoves · 08/09/2018 08:15

I think the idea is that women devote more brain space to thinking about what outfit to wear, what goes with what, if she's worn it too recently, is it riding up, is it pinching, is it too tight, is it too loose, what goes with my colouring, etc etc.

My DH throws his clothes on every day with no thought beyond "can I get away without ironing it" or "is it clean".

I'd like to simplify my life in a similar way.

OP posts:
Sturmundcalm · 08/09/2018 08:17

never heard of octieber but tempted to try it! considering my job and the conservative-with-a-small-c work world I'm in it would be very "political" though so would need to work out if I'm really feeling brave enough... plus, I could just borrow ties off my DH (he has a few that I really like) but would potentially need to buy shirts, trousers, etc and not sure I can afford it.

the one proper take away from this for me is to look at mens jumpers - I do have hoodies that are menswear but never really contemplated knitted jumpers. I have broad enough shoulders but not sure my arms will be long enough (although not against having them long enough to cover my hands considering how cold I get).

Lucked · 08/09/2018 08:19

I often buy men's knitwear from Zara as they have more colours than most men's collections.

OldJoseph · 08/09/2018 08:25

I tried men's jeans on years ago without much success as I'm too short. However, did a lot better with DS's jeans. If you're petite try boys' clothes (better made than the girls', cheaper than adults'). Try age 12-13 if you're an 8.

Racecardriver · 08/09/2018 08:25

I wear a lot of mens clothing but only shirts, jumpers, coats etc. Mens trousers are extremely uncomfortable. Not cut for my shape I think.

happymummy12345 · 08/09/2018 08:34

At home i always wear tracksuit bottoms t shirts and hoodie jackets. I love being comfy at home.
I used to wear my own, but since I've been with my husband I now live in his old t shirts and old jackets (nothing wrong with them as such, he just thought they'd past their best for him to wear out). So I started wearing them round the house. So much more comfy than my tighter fitted ones.

SnuggyBuggy · 08/09/2018 08:36

I'm quite partial to my DHs hoodies and jumpers, before BF we technically used to have the same chest size.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys · 08/09/2018 08:49

Best winter coat I ever had was a men's coat that got left at our house after a party and we couldn't trace the owner so I adopted it.
Wore it thru several harsh winters working as a Rep where I was constantly walking to and from the car, and I needed to look smart.
Sleeves long enough to cover wrists so no gap abive the gloves.
Decent pockets including 2 inside ones, my purse lived in one so no handbag needed.
I was so upset when it finally began to wear out

Ellapaella · 08/09/2018 08:56

I've pinched a few of my DH's jumpers - I like an oversized chunky knit jumper in the winter and his are perfect and good quality. I think a lot of women's knitwear is hugely overpriced.

EBearhug · 08/09/2018 09:14

My coat is a man's coat, and I've often had men''s jumpers. My school jumper in the 6th form was a man's jumper. My hips and thighs mean I couldn't wear men's trousers, but I have very few trousers without decent pockets. Some of my best, deepest pockets ate on a skirt from Sainsbury. I've also got some dresses with pockets.

I work in a techy role, and we nearly all wear jeans and t-shirts most days. I tend to wear brighter colours though - otherwise, the office is just a sea of black, grey and navy.

LoniceraJaponica · 08/09/2018 09:30

I was inspired by a thread about jumpers on MN a couple of winters ago. someone suggested looking at the "camp cashmere" jumpers in the men's department of TK Maxx.

M & S men's jumpers tick the right boxes for me. The quality is so much better, and there is more choice of colours in natural materials rather than the acryclic stuff you see everywhere. And I hate embellished jumpers.

Gwenhwyfar · 09/09/2018 19:13

I have the opposite problem. I hate the fact that when you buy Tshirts (e.g. for groups I belong to) they're men's sizes. They call them unisex, but they're men's. Too big and shapeless. Not flattering at all.

UNOwen · 09/09/2018 19:17

Yes I'd recommend M&S men's jumpers. Can get merino wool and cashmere for good prices.

Flooffloof · 09/09/2018 19:29

Every winter I buy myself a men's winter jacket. Big pockets, cheaper than women's etc.
This year is a hooded thick shirt style with a hood. Roomy but warm.
I hate closing up coats cos I feel claustrophobic, unless it's minus 30 then maybe fasten up.
Bought in sale for about 20 quid. I do wear some other men's stuff but not for work.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

EBearhug · 09/09/2018 20:29

Every year? I expect a coat to last the best part of a decade!

LoniceraJaponica · 09/09/2018 20:33

My jackets last for years. I have a very thick down coat that I bought when DD was at primary school. She has just left school. My waterproof coat is 5 years old and is still going strong.

Flooffloof · 09/09/2018 21:25

Every year? I expect a coat to last the best part of a decade!

Yeah but everything else I wear lasts years, so I buy a new coat/jacket each year. Charity shop wins.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.