My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Going to India next month and need help please

11 replies

SangriaInTheSun · 02/09/2018 12:36

I’ve never really ventured in here as I’m a jeans and tshirt person. Never really know what suits me and stick to black for the most part. That said, I’m off to India (and slightly terrified about it) and could really do with advice.

I’m mostly packing patterned loose trousers like these along with plain tshirts but what I really can’t work out is what to wear with them for warmth. Hoodies and my usual jumpers don’t look right. I’m a size 16 with big boobs and I’m heading full pelt towards 50!

Any suggestions you lovely lot?

OP posts:
NameChanger22 · 02/09/2018 12:44

Hi, I've been to India a few times. Those trousers are really nice and ideal for India. You probably won't need much warm clothing as it will be hot in most parts right now.

I think thinly knitted loose jumpers in plain colours would look nice. Or a long unbuttoned cardigan. Matching your jumper colour to the trouser colour can be very flattering. You could also try a thin sweatshirt without a hood, layered over a long t-shirt, with the t-shirt showing at the bottom can look nice and casual. I wouldn't stress about your wardrobe too much, you can buy nice clothes there too.

Botanica · 02/09/2018 12:47

I think wraps and scarves can work well and be quite flattering when overseas. And the benefit of somewhere like India is you will have loads of choice if you wanted to pick something up whilst you were there.

Alternatively pack a few longer sleeved Tshirts or tops that you could swap in for colder evenings that would preserve the look.

Aethelthryth · 02/09/2018 12:51

Find the website of Jharonka: they're an Indian company that sources lovely clothes from artisan designers and makers in India, including lots of cotton dresses/ trousers/tunics which while perfect for the climate are easily wearable by Westerners. It's very good value.

I think you'll only need one jumper, for cooler evenings; and perhaps a pashmina or similar

MooMinCow · 02/09/2018 13:23

Where in India are you going to? The North will be a bit cooler at night/early morning but no where near as cool as here.

I always take a denim jacket with me and a denim shirt and a few other long sleeve shirts and use them like a jacket over short sleeve tops. I would also take a large scarf (either sheer or pashmina like) and carry with you to cover up where necessary.

You will see most women (especially in cities) go for loose tunic tops (Kurta) over leggings or skinny jeans with a scarf (dupatta) draped over chest/shoulders for ‘modesty’

There’s a chain of shops called Fab India www.fabindia.com/clothing/women-short-kurtas they do amazing selection of cotton tunics/bottoms in different styles and lengths so worth a splurge (they also do fantastic textiles for the home)

Tangoes · 02/09/2018 13:35

It's really just the Northern part ( in the mountains) that will be cooler now. A pashmina should suffice for the evening.
Someone about linked Fabindia which is great.I also love //www.anokhi.com .Their clothes work well back home too.

Todamhottoday · 02/09/2018 14:23

I live in India, when are you visiting and where are you visiting ?

Unless your going to the mountains you will not be needing any cardies/jumpers/sweatshirts, more than anything you will be too hot.

Links to clothing are more at the expensive end, I would not be paying some of those prices for clothing just for your holiday. Plenty of other places to shop locally and I dont mean markets where you will pay over the odds.

Cooler evenings? I wish unless your going to a hillstation, I am sitting on my balcony its quite warm but the humidity is high, Im melting and its almost 7pm.

Destinysdaughter · 02/09/2018 15:23

When I went I took some v light waterfall type cardis. They were v useful especially as I needed to cover my arms in the evening to protect them from mosquitoes! And covered the boobs too.

Destinysdaughter · 02/09/2018 15:25

Also I’m a size 14 and busty. It was v difficult to find clothes that fitted my bust as Indian women tend to be much slighter. Although you can get clothes made out there.

SangriaInTheSun · 02/09/2018 17:50

Thanks everyone. I’m going towards the end of October to Dehli, Agra and Jaipur and reading a few blogs, it’s seems a good idea to take something slightly warmer for cooler evenings.

I’ve just picked up a nice lightweight knitted loose jumper (Thanks NameChange) which will be ideal and am on the look out for another couple. Pashmina sounds like a plan and I have a couple of large scarves to take as well.

I’ll take a look at the websites mentioned later as well. Flowers

OP posts:
NameChanger22 · 08/09/2018 12:09

Have a wonderful time. India is an amazing place.

jarviscockerslover · 08/09/2018 13:31

I just returned from India last week (Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai). I'd say pack floaty comfy pants and a few cardis but use your trip an an excuse to shop- clothes and accessories are amazing there. I second Fab India, got some beaut cotton kurtas from there.
Enjoy, you'll love it!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.