My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Foundation - what am I doing wrong???!

15 replies

ButterflyOfFreedom · 28/08/2018 22:36

I admit I have little idea about make up!

Currently use a Rimmel primer followed by Revlon Colourstay foundation. I also put some Rimmel concealer on where needed (ie. to cover spots).

Is it 'normal' to still be able to see wrinkles / fine lines through it? Or does this mean I need to put more on and/or get a different shade?
As the day goes on, the foundation looks 'bitty'.

Also what is the best way of putting foundation on? I currently use my finger tips but would a sponge or brush be better? If so, which one?

Said I was clueless!! Blush

OP posts:
Robots1Humans0 · 28/08/2018 22:46

Sorry no advice OP but I'm right here with ya - totally clueless and could do with a bit of glam in my life!

PeachyKeenJellymonster · 28/08/2018 22:49

Ugh I'm the same my face looks weird and melty by the end of the day

argumentativefeminist · 28/08/2018 22:51

I find mouisturising really well beforehand and using a sponge rather than my fingers helped stop the bittyness. I think it's totally normal to still be able to see lines, but you could try using just a little more foundation.

newname43 · 28/08/2018 22:51

I use Boots no 7 instant radiance its lovely quite covering but not heavy in warm beige,looks very dewy

MissMarplesKnitting · 28/08/2018 22:52

Buffing brushes work a treat to blend it in well.

If it's sliding off your face though it might be too oily for your skin? Try a setting spray as eelly

Most makeup needs a freshen up at lunch though. It rarely lasts without a bit of oil blotting powder and lippy touch up at best.

Yes it's normal to see wrinkles etc.

Brazenhussy0 · 28/08/2018 22:55

Wrinkles and lines - you need good skin care and a serum (Estee Lauder do some ace ones, try Perfectionist Pro)

Bitty foundation - you need higher quality foundation with better durability and something to set it with (either powder or setting spray depending on what finish you want.)
Fingers are fine for application and less wasteful. Brushes aren't a necessity.

Basically, it costs more money to look better unfortunately Grin

ButterflyOfFreedom · 29/08/2018 08:31

Thanks all! Reassuring posts! Smile

OP posts:
BusterGonad · 29/08/2018 10:42

Also your primer and foundation need to be compatible and you need to give your moisturizer about 5-10minutes to sink in before you apply your make up.

WhereAreWeNow · 29/08/2018 16:09

Do you have oily skin OP? I think the oil can make the foundation disintegrate. The solution is either a long lasting foundation designed for oily skin (Colorstay should be ok for this actually) but these can be quite cakey and heavy. Or a good primer, a light foundation, a really good powder, and more blotting (look up oil blotting sheets on Amazon).

I find my foundation looks better with I use a beauty blender but I use fingers most days just because I'm lazy!

Immigrantsong · 29/08/2018 16:19

BrazenHussy I am sorry but this isn't accurate or helpful to the OP. Although, I will agree, money helps a lot in looking good. OP, cosmetics tend to be oil based or water based and they don't mix well if not compatible, hence the creation of bittiness,as the formulation is breaking down. Add to that whatever moisturiser you are using, I hope you see what I am trying to say. You need to use compatible products that work well when layered on top of each other. Also, please avoid overmoisturising when applying make up as this will not help at all in creating the effect you are looking for. To diffuse lines, wrinkles and have more of a smooth canvas, you need a light touch of everything, never overload. Important: if you have oily skin, completely avoid liquids and go for a mineral powder foundation. To understand formulations of skincare/make up please look at the ingredients and try to get some basic chemistry lingo to give yourself a helping hand. Buying everything from one brand may be the answer, as they tend to create products that go well together.

BagelGoesWalking · 29/08/2018 18:00

More hydration will help decrease fine lines as it plumps up the skin and makes it feel soft. Foundation will also sit better as it helps balance oily/dry patches.

Look out for Hyaluronic Acid (it's not an Acid), panthenol, glycerin In ingredients. Avoid anything with Alcohol Denat but other alcohols are ok as they're fatty alcohols.

Ceramides In moisturiser are also a good thing. CeraVe has 3 ceramides in their v affordable moisturisers.

Bineverywhere · 29/08/2018 18:47

If your foundation is going "weird" over the course of the day it's likely you're using silicone-based primer when you need water-based or vice versa depending on which is right for your foundation

You don't need to drop big cash... Just find a formula that works for you. :)

I am a foundation freak and I always forget which of mine go with which primer so it's trial and error until I get it right then I write down the combination.

dudsville · 29/08/2018 18:48

Foundation is for evening out skin tone. You'll still see your skin shape through it. The others have posted tips for improving skin tone/condition.

SplishSplashSplosh · 29/08/2018 19:07

You can book a free Number 7 range make up trial with Boots ( you can book it online).
They will give you lots of advice and try out different products from their range.

I did this earlier in the year and it was really good. The lady applied foundation and showed me the best way to apply it and the colours which best complimented me. I don't normally wear too much make up but it did last all day and I came away with a little card with the names of the products and colours used.

JustGettingStarted · 29/08/2018 19:17

I don't get on with primer
Makes my face look overdone and cakey.

Wayne Goss suggests moisturising the face, then applying sheer powder with a big brush before applying foundation. I have found that it does help my foundational stick.

I also think that my more mature skin benefits from a lighter coverage. Estee Lauder Doublewear, for example, is much too cakey for me. My favourite foundation is Dior Airflash, buffed on with a big brush. It's good coverage but very thin. Otherwise, something closer to a beauty balm/CC cream is a good fit for me. It evens my skin out and looks natural.

The older I get, the harder I have to work to avoid the hard, Joan Collins look.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.