My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

So what would you to a work celebration dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant

22 replies

Kittykatmacbill · 25/08/2018 20:21

If you unexpectedly found yourself being invited to a work celebration dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant with a couple of minor celebrities, a board member from a major uk company etc. What would you wear? (A project I am working on has gone well... preen but yikes!)

Assume men will be in suits? I normally wear chinos, brogues, blazer and shirt to work, don’t feel that is suitable. I am wondering about a Boden Ottoman style dress with blazer to hide in?

I am I guess an apple shape - good legs, okay arms and boobs but fat unshiftable mum tum.

OP posts:
PestymcPestFace · 25/08/2018 20:30

In this situation I normally stick on my Vivienne Westwood figure of eight LBD and rock it.

Go shopping, hunt down the ultimately flattering dress for you, in a sensiblish colour and it will serve you well for maybe 20 years.

SpeckledyHen · 25/08/2018 21:19

How many stars ? Where is it in the country ? I always check th3 dress code . For example The Fat Duck is wear whatever you are are comfortable in - includes jeans .

XingMing · 25/08/2018 21:51

I think Pesty has it about right. This could be the moment to buy a fab dress for your shape in a reasonably sober colour, and to wear it for years. Just... please don't try to find it cheap. This is an investment dress that you will wear (occasionally) for many years. It needs to be

1. Comfortable to sit and eat in
  2. Extremely flattering to stand around
  3. Flexible enough to possibly dance a bit
  4. Professional, so not so short or uncovered that you send incorrect messages.
  5. Just celebratory/sparkly enough to signal that you are dressed up for the do. You can do this with jewellery or accessories as an alternative, if you are wedded to minimal dressing.

Start shopping now; such dresses take time to find. I inherited mine.
Kittykatmacbill · 25/08/2018 22:03

Thanks y’all - I love Vivienne Westwood and had a dress that I attend (ahem many) a wedding in. Not sure budget will stretch to that, sadly although I am definetly most comfy in jeans even I recognise that this is not the occasion for it! Any actual links to things would be really appreciated!

OP posts:
PUGaLUGS · 25/08/2018 22:04

I have been to quite a few Michelin starred restaurants and find there is generally a mish mash of those that really dress up like me in a dress and heels and those that go more casual but still look great. For me, I feel I don’t do casual as well as others so would rather put a dress on.

Have a great time.

mariniere · 25/08/2018 22:29

where is the restaurant is and the general vibe? Eg Mayfair may be dressier than most places on the outskirts of town (over generalisation but not a bad assumption to start with)

mariniere · 25/08/2018 22:30

IMO more important than its star rating.
Excuse mangled post above.

PestymcPestFace · 25/08/2018 22:33

Alternately turn up in jeans and DPs slightly dirty shirt Blush

WilburIsSomePig · 25/08/2018 22:41

That VW is absolutely beautiful.

Kittykatmacbill · 26/08/2018 10:32

You are all telling me I need this dress!
www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/product/1065562
I think I do too, but sadly don’t have the budget...

OP posts:
thedevilinablackdress · 26/08/2018 10:48

I get that you want a nice dress to wear, I really do. But what jumped out at me was that the men you work with will essentially be going in their work gear or similar. Whereas you (we, I) feel the need to shell out for something suitable.

Kittykatmacbill · 26/08/2018 11:15

Well kind of directors wear suits, but the delivery team wear chinos, smarter trainers and polos, but you are right they can dig something out the wardrobe. FWIW I did have 3 suitable dresses 2 I am too fat for and one my dh (auto corrected to duh) boil washed!

OP posts:
thedevilinablackdress · 26/08/2018 11:49

I am in no way bitter about recent wedding attendance where I spent ££ on new things and DP did just that - opened wardrobe, pulled out shirt, trousers, jacket. Job done.

turnandtwist · 26/08/2018 11:55

We sometime eat out with work colleagues in fancy-pants restaurants. I think cocktail dresses look a bit try hard. The Boden Ottoman with great shoes would be perfect.
The VW is gorgeous and not overly dressy.

TheConquestOfHappiness · 26/08/2018 12:37

Cigarette pant suit. That is pretty much the silhouette you wear to work. But having trousers and jacket match whilst being cut from a better material e.g. wool crepe rather than cotton will kick it up a notch.

And keep the other elements the same- but if you’re buying new just go for an upgrade in quality on your usual. That might involve better cut or it might involve change of fabric. So wear the suit with a nice shirt (maybe silk instead of cotton for example) and your best shoes (or new shoes, maybe suede if you usually wear leather).

You could also consider cigarette pants with a neatly fitted cashmere sweater if the restaurant is a less formal place.

Keep accessories simple, but add one thing you wouldn’t normally wear to the office e.g. slim belt, simple bangle, elegant earrings. Preferably in a high quality material.

The advantage of this is that you will get more mileage out of your purchases- the suit can be worn again on further more formal work occasions or worn as separates everyday. Same with the shirt or cashmere sweater or new shoes.

So for occasions like this you buy pieces that fit with your usual wardrobe but they start off as “best” and slowly get incorporated into everyday. And as you progress up the career ladder you slowly pull up your work wardrobe.

And maybe think about a wash and blow dry at the hairdresser earlier in the day, or a simple, classic manicure. That’s more about giving yourself some relax and switch off time in advance than glamming up, but a little polish and grooming always boosts confidence.

museumum · 26/08/2018 12:49

I’d wear the kind of dress I could also wear to give a big presentation or session at a conference. I’ve gathered 4-5 over the past few years and wouldnt buy new but if you don’t have one think about repeat wear. I like some of the plain coloured Boden and my most recent purchase was &otherstories

thedevilinablackdress · 26/08/2018 12:54

@TheConquestofHappiness has pretty much nailed it. Go as you but a bit fancier.

Kittykatmacbill · 01/09/2018 21:34

Thought you would like an update i found forgotten dvf black dress in wardrobe (this does kind of make what else I bought on mat leave and forgot about...) so that will be worn.

OP posts:
Goldenhedgehogs · 01/09/2018 23:56

Thanks for the update, I hope you enjoy the evening, I did wonder about this dress as I love the look of it but don't have the lifestyle to wear it
catwalkschoolgates.com/product/vivienne-westwood-anglomania-burgundy-dress-size-44-4179/

thedevilinablackdress · 02/09/2018 08:59

Sounds perfect!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.