My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Lipstick that doesn't make lips go dry and peely

25 replies

deary · 23/08/2018 15:21

I would love to wear lipstick, but every time I do, it comes off, leaving a line around my lips and makes me lips dry, cracked and peeling for days afterwards.
Any suggestions?

OP posts:
wobblebot · 23/08/2018 15:22

I always put lip balm on before starting my make up and put lipstick on last. Use lip liner on the entire lip too always helps!

LadyLapsang · 23/08/2018 16:33

By Terry Baume De Rose is excellent under lipstick and I like their lipsticks too. Channel is good and more widely available

LadyLapsang · 23/08/2018 16:33

Chanel!

nothingwittyhere · 23/08/2018 17:50

I find thick creamy lipsticks less drying than sheer ones. Would recommend Urban Decay or Lipstick Queen Sinner ranges.

CostaGuava · 23/08/2018 18:47

I've tried all price ranges of lipsticks but the best ones I've come across are Primark's liquid lipsticks; a pack of 4 is only £4! My lips get very dry usually but not when I use that!

Floaty2018 · 23/08/2018 18:57

Highly recommend that you apply a lipbalm or a small amount of Vaseline to your lips,let it sink in for 5/10 mins, use a lip primer (the MAC one is good), and along with using a lipliner, your lip colour will stay put and not dry, for most of the day.

deary · 23/08/2018 19:20

Great ideas- thanks

OP posts:
BlairWaldorfsHeadband · 23/08/2018 19:21

Bobbi Brown are good!

KellyMarieTunstall2 · 23/08/2018 19:22

Clarins lippy, wear it everyday.

princessbear80 · 23/08/2018 20:21

L’Oreal Age Perfect lipstick has a nice serum running through the middle. It’s the only one I can wear. I’m only 37 but it works for me!

TakeAChanseyOnMe · 23/08/2018 20:34

Fill in your entire lip with a similarly coloured lip liner. Apply one layer of lipstick, blot and repeat a few times.

“Long lasting” lipsticks will be drying. Best to get something in between and apply as above

Mac is great but I love Kiko for a more budget option. This lip liner is fantastic:

www.kikocosmetics.com/en-gb/make-up/lips/lip-pencils/Creamy-Colour-Comfort-Lip-Liner-301/p-KM0020301130144

AuntyJackiesBrothersSistersBoy · 23/08/2018 21:22

No. 7. Moisture Drench. Non drying and good colour range.

Shitonthebloodything · 23/08/2018 22:26

I find lip scrubs help with this. Jeffree Star's ones are good as are his liquid lipsticks.

thedevilinablackdress · 24/08/2018 09:10

Doesn't sound like a normal reaction to wearing lipstick - you could be reacting to one of the ingredients? Is it one particular brand that causes this?

cantfindamoniker · 24/08/2018 10:30

I agree. It isn't a normal reaction to lipstick. Do you get the same with lip gloss or non coloured lip balms? If I have any reaction, I assume it could be bacterial and throw it (unless it's brand new). We eat a lot of what we put on our lips so I really wouldn't persist with anything you get a reaction to.

User5trillion · 24/08/2018 10:36

I get this really badly and I would love to wear lipstick but I cant due to this. So what I do.is use a lip liner and colour in my.lips and put lip balm or gloss over the top, I find it longer lasting as well.

deary · 24/08/2018 10:37

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I even get it with lip balms so I rarely use them. I've tried lots and lots of brands, the best I've found are the body shop ones with a wand and there was one called lip butter- maybe Revlon? They just leave a lip around my lips though, they need reapplying so frequently and end up gloopy.
I've tried lip brushes, blotting after each layer.
I just cannot believe lippy is so hard to wear for everyone.

OP posts:
EyeDrops · 24/08/2018 10:39

I find No 7 Moisture Drench really good compared to others I've used.

VickieCherry · 24/08/2018 10:42

I get this with most lipsticks and balms - I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't really wear them. I assume I react to something in the common ingredients.

Clarins do a coloured oil balm which is ok (though I still get peeling lips if I wear it too much). What I often do if I really want colour is lots of Vaseline, then blot the lipstick on top, then blot that with tissue. This gives a protective layer and you're just smudging the colour on top. It doesn't last but does look pretty - I can wear any lipstick like this.

QueenoftheNights · 24/08/2018 11:31

Bobbi Brown Luxe lipstick is one of the only ones that doesn't chap my lips but it's around £27.

Clinique Pop with primer- I find feels lovely to start with then it seems to dry.

Just bought a cheap L'Oreal Shine one which is nice but it doesn't stay on- more like a gloss.

Sakura7 · 24/08/2018 11:40

Urban Decay lippies are fab, even the matte ones don't dry my lips out. Do use a little bit of Vaseline before you apply.

Love Mac for colours but the mattes are drying and the other formulas just wear off on me.

Sakura7 · 24/08/2018 11:41

Also the Clinique chubby sticks might suit you, not drying at all and I find the colour lasts pretty well.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Maliali · 24/08/2018 11:53

Might sound a silly question but what toothpaste do u use? I thought I had a reaction to lipsticks/balms etc because my lips peeled all the time. Don’t know how I eventually discovered it was toothpaste. If yours has SLS in it maybe worth trying one that’s SLS free.

deary · 24/08/2018 14:43

It is definitely lipstick rather than toothpaste. I use toothpaste every day and rarely wear lippy.
I'm considering trying the benefit tint as well. I'd love to wear red lipstick everyday!

OP posts:
User5trillion · 24/08/2018 15:22

Def lipstick for me too, not toothpaste. I used to.use benetint lip stain but I love lipstick for its deep true colour.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.